Who should we go after next offseason  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do

• 6'5 325lbs LT Khalif Barnes
    • 6'8 322lbs RT/LT Max Starks
    • 6'7 343lbs RT/G Stacy Andrews
    • 6'5 335lbs RT/LT Vernon Carey
    • Draft 2009 OT

6'5 325lbs LT Khalif Barnes: The jags will let Khalif Barnes walk because they just resigned his successor Richard Collier

6'8 322lbs RT/LT Max Starks: Max Staqrks has said that his contract situation is not moving at all.... He feels like this is a 1 year and out deal (the steelers drafted tony hill)..... I'm hearing that Max Starks has should up to camp 15 pounds lighter and look quicker,stringer, and very athletic out there

6'7 343lbs RT/G Stacy Andrews:Stacy Andrews feel screwed because he thought that it was his time to start but since Willie Anderson is now healthy, it looks like he will get his starting RT job back.... I have a feeling The Bengals will let Stacy Andrews walk ( They are thinking about moving newly resigned Andrew Whitworth to OT and they drafted Anthony Collins whom they say look good in camp)

6'5 335lbs RT/LT Vernon Carey: I have a feeling that the tuna will reup Vernon Carey contract but i may be wrong

2009 Nfl draft will have a couple of special OT in this draft...... The thing is.... would it be cheaper and best just to sign one of those freeagent Lineman because ....1: Top 10 Picks are extremely expensive and would it just be cheaper to sign a freeagent......2: If we did sign a freeagent.. We could use that draft pick on another need............. I really like Michael Oher but ill rather sign Khalif Barnes to a 6 year 39 million contract then to draft Oher and sign him to a 6 year 48 million contract

But what do you guys and gals think.......Which would you pick and why ?

I'm all about getting the OT in the draft... There are some darn good ones coming out and we could get a franchise player (and that doesn't mean high first rounder) without having to pay some obscene salary (depending on where we draft) and keep them for a long period of time (hence the franchise player).

I just like the idea of grabbing in the draft and doing our (coaching staff) own development.

S Andrews is starting & W Anderson sounds like he's ready to retire, & prbly will next yr.

Bengals OT Andrews Starting Ahead Of OT Anderson

Associated Press, NFL.com - LINK

Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Stacy Andrews opened the team's Training Camp as the team's starting right tackle, ahead of long-time starter Willie Anderson. "I've kind of changed my stance on that," Anderson said. "My thing now is: I want Stacy to be the starting tackle. I'm not going to fight it. I don't want it to be a competitive situation because I'm 13 years in (the NFL) right now and I don't have the energy to try to compete. I know that there are some things physically that in training camp, I'm not going to be able to do full-speed all the time."

Really hoping we go DL & OL in the first 2rnds of next yrs draft.

A FA vet OL would be just as good, as long as we address both DL & OL

I'm very happy we resigned Grady but he can't play forever

I'm all about getting the OT in the draft... There are some darn good ones coming out and we could get a franchise player (and that doesn't mean high first rounder) without having to pay some obscene salary (depending on where we draft) and keep them for a long period of time (hence the franchise player).

I just like the idea of grabbing in the draft and doing our (coaching staff) own development.

I agree..... But let me say this..... The teams with the best O-lines in the league build the O-Line thru the draft but they also signed one key freeagent

Dallas: 6'6 366lbs Leonard Davis

Vikings:6'5 313lbs Steve Hutchinson

Browns:6'6 300lbs Eric Steinbach

This is not the only way to do it......but the thing is.... you cant have all rookie, 2nd, and 3rd year players on year line.... You will need a vet type O-line somewhere on that line...... the players that i named has been in the league atleast 4 years, they are still young, and are very good lineman........

I like the idea of drafting a good O-Lineman... But with in the first 2 rounds..... we can address a pressing need if we signed a freeagent lineman

S Andrews is starting & W Anderson sounds like he's ready to retire, & prbly will next yr.

Bengals OT Andrews Starting Ahead Of OT Anderson

Associated Press, NFL.com - LINK

Cincinnati Bengals offensive tackle Stacy Andrews opened the team's Training Camp as the team's starting right tackle, ahead of long-time starter Willie Anderson. "I've kind of changed my stance on that," Anderson said. "My thing now is: I want Stacy to be the starting tackle. I'm not going to fight it. I don't want it to be a competitive situation because I'm 13 years in (the NFL) right now and I don't have the energy to try to compete. I know that there are some things physically that in training camp, I'm not going to be able to do full-speed all the time."

I'm really hoping we go DL & OL in the first 2rnds of next yrs draft.

I'm very happy we resigned Grady but he can't play forever

ok

July 23 2008

Willie Anderson is reportedly expected to take back his starting right tackle job from Stacy Andrews if he continues to stay healthy.

The Bengals depth at tackle is impressive. They may bench their franchise player (Andrews) and LG Andrew Whitworth did a capable job when asked to move outside last year. The line has durability questions, but has the potential to be elite.

But yea...... I hope we go Safety then DT.......(1st round:6'3 224lbs Taylor Mays... 2nd round:6'6 310lbs Vince Oghobaase)........ I think that would so many teams getting their Future OT in this years draft, except for the elite LT..... Some of the OT will drop down some draft boards because thats not going to be alot of teams big needs.......

07/28/2008

Later (@ the bottom) in the same article I posted above: LINK

(Willie)Anderson looked good in the opening practice, moving much better than he did at any point last season.

The Bengals plan to limit his participation in practice to keep him healthy.

"With Willie's situation, it's not just an issue with one practice and how did he look," Bratkowski said.

"It's how over a two-week period is he going to hold up? Time will be the only thing that will tell that."

Lewis said Anderson has a chance to regain his starting job if he stays healthy and plays at his customary level.

"A lot of places, you don't get that opportunity, but he's earned the opportunity," Lewis said.

"Willie, when healthy, has been a great football player."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

07/28/2008

Later (@ the bottom) in the same article I posted above: LINK

(Willie)Anderson looked good in the opening practice, moving much better than he did at any point last season. The Bengals plan to limit his participation in practice to keep him healthy.

"With Willie's situation, it's not just an issue with one practice and how did he look," Bratkowski said. "It's how over a two-week period is he going to hold up? Time will be the only thing that will tell that."

Lewis said Anderson has a chance to regain his starting job if he stays healthy and plays at his customary level.

"A lot of places, you don't get that opportunity, but he's earned the opportunity," Lewis said.

"Willie, when healthy, has been a great football player."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

The Bengals are taking the same approach Coach Smith is taking with Todd Weiner

If the Bengals let Stacy Andrews get away like they let Eric Steinbach get away... they are stupid.......The thing is Stacy Andrews was almost a Falcon...... Before the freeagent period began the Bengals was set on making Justin Smith their franchise player... The bengals found out that we was having contractual discussions with Stacy Andrews agent an since levi jones was asking to be traded and Willie Anderson was getting over a injury.... They had to franchise Stacy Andrews

We will see what happens tho

My source told me about the falcons going hard after Stacey Andrews...... hereis 2 articles about it

Link

Nobody could figure out why the Bengals placed the franchise tag on guard Stacy Andrews until I heard that five teams had him targeted in free-agency, and that he was the No. 1 prospect of the Falcons. For years, being an offensive lineman has been the best position in the NFL for collecting big paychecks. Guards now are being paid like left tackles — consider that the Seahawks have $12 million invested next season in Sean Locklear and Mike Wahle, who played like a stiff in Carolina last season.

Link

This year's unknown offensive lineman about to strike it rich, a la Derrick Dockery a year ago: Jaguar tackle/guard Mo Williams. Detroit could be interested there ... This year's smart franchise tag that looked really stupid at first: Cincinnati's 6-7, 340-pound guard Stacy Andrews, who would have been a $7-million-a-year player somewhere (maybe Atlanta) had he tasted freedom ... Byron Leftwich, Trent Green and Daunte Culpepper all think they have NFL starts left in them. They're not going to have many suitors. I'll tell you a perfect fit for Culpepper: Chicago. He should battle with Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman for the starting job.

I cant find the main article peter king was talking about Atlanta going after Stacy Andrews in more detail..... I cant lie.... i dont feel like looking for it either...lol

I am all for picking up a good free agent. Not against that AT ALL. But if we go that route first, I want to get one that will be worth it... not some cast off or has been.

I like the idea of picking up Taylor Mays but I don't know if the Falcs will go safety first, especially if our safety play turns out to be really good this year (including the depth).

I could see the FO going DT or OL first. I guess it really depends on where we are picking and who is off the board.

Being a Georgia Tech fan, I'd love to see us pick up DT Vance Walker. He'll be a late first round/ early second pick.

But back to the subject: If the Falcs end up picking first, like many think will happen, I'd take Michael Oher without flinching.

I voted for Vernon Carey...

He is an awesome run blocker at RT and would be the bookend to our offensive line. When Ronnie Brown ran behind Carey, he was averaging something like 2.1 extra YPC compared to the rest of the OL. He is still young and his pass blocking skills are quite good also, a result of playing @ LT for half of his career in Miami...

Tuna wont let him go, so Andrews is naturally the next on my list :ph34r:

I'd want to see what Baker does, however I'd always be on the prowl for a good OLinesman.... B)

I agree...... I think Sam Baker will end up being a good LT......I cant lie... i want Max Starks(6 year, 34.6 million).......Max Starks will be a lil cheaper and he should bring us another versatile Lineman we would have..... Starks can play RT and LT...... Tyson Clabo can play RT and G...... Sam Baker can play LT,RT, and G........... In case a injury happen.... we would have a guy that can play either tackle position

i would love to bring one of those guys in but i have to say id probably prefer an OG via FA to an OT. OT's are extremely pricey now-a-days and i think we could get a good player to fill our hole at RG in free agency if we went after him hard enough. if baker pans out at LT we would have:

LT- Baker

LG- Blalock

C- McClure?

RG- FA

RT- Draft selection

now the problem with this is that this draft is extremely deep in OG's. would we rather go OT/DT in the first 2 rounds and fill 2 big needs there and either get a good OG in the 3rd/4th range or just sign a free agent and bypass that need altogether? obviously its early but thats how ive been thinking about it. honestly it may not be a bad idea to get a stud OT round 1, a quality DT round 2, a safety in round 3 and an OG in round 4 in addition to bringing in a starting quality RG via free agency.

thats just an early idea, but its not a bad one in my estimation.

I like the versatility that Andrews brings, but I think we need to draft OL in the first 3 rounds again next year. The emergence of Dahl, Clabo, and possibly Foster could make a difference, but I think a steady flow of guys who can compete to start will be essential in having a solid to top tier OL.

We will also need to see what we get from Blaylock this year.

I say we sign a good OT during free agency (preferebly Stacey Andrews becuase he can play both OG and OT, both of which are holes on our line) and then draft an OG like Herman Johnson in the second round. I would love to see our line look like this:

LT Sam Baker

LG Jusitn Blalock

C Todd McClure (but I'm all in for drafting Alex Mack, he's a BIG time prospect).

RG Herman Johnson (or some other draft pick)

RT Stacey Andrews (or Vernon Carey)

i would love to bring one of those guys in but i have to say id probably prefer an OG via FA to an OT. OT's are extremely pricey now-a-days and i think we could get a good player to fill our hole at RG in free agency if we went after him hard enough. if baker pans out at LT we would have:

LT- Baker

LG- Blalock

C- McClure?

RG- FA

RT- Draft selection

now the problem with this is that this draft is extremely deep in OG's. would we rather go OT/DT in the first 2 rounds and fill 2 big needs there and either get a good OG in the 3rd/4th range or just sign a free agent and bypass that need altogether? obviously its early but thats how ive been thinking about it. honestly it may not be a bad idea to get a stud OT round 1, a quality DT round 2, a safety in round 3 and an OG in round 4 in addition to bringing in a starting quality RG via free agency.

thats just an early idea, but its not a bad one in my estimation.

There will not be any top notch Guard in this year Freeagency.... I would rather for us to resign Tyson Clabo as a guard........ but yea... the draft will have some good guards like Wisconsin Guard Kraig Urbik......... I just know for a fact that TD will go after a big O-Lineman in freeagency.... He tried it this off season.... Next offseason will have have a better crop of O-Lineman

The team needs long term consistency on the line. We need to go young, take our lumps in the short run to set up the long run. I don't like picking up lineman in free agency because they are way over paid a lot of times. They are simply the best player available and the demand is always much greater than the quality starters available. I can't remember the last time before last year that we actually drafted O line guys before say the 5th round.

If you really saw Sam Baker play...... you would know that he can play LT

Yeah, he can play LT, in college.

Colt Brennen can really play QB, in college.

Michael Huff can really play safety, in college.

Troy Williamson can really play WR, in college.

Catch my drift? This kid is going to get abused by Julius Peppers, Gaines Adams, Chris Long, Osi Umenyora, etc.