Spurrier: Garcia could return Thursday

Spurrier: Garcia could return Thursday

Gamecocks awaiting word on suspended quarterback

Written by Seth Emerson

Posted on 07.29.08

email print reprint or license

USC freshman quarterback Stephen Garcia could return two weeks earlier than expected from his suspension, coach Steve Spurrier said Tuesday.

Garcia was suspended before spring practice after his third run-in with the law since coming to campus in 2007. He was due to be eligible on Aug. 15, but Spurrier said he's waiting for word from the university, which handed down the suspension.

“I’m not sure if Stephen Garcia will be here Thursday night,” Spurrier said. “I do not know if he’ll be there this Thursday night. Certainly we’re hoping he will be there, but that’s in the hands of our university and those who are in charge of that.”

Spurrier said he was "not in the loop" on the decision.

“What was told to Stephen is if you do what you’re supposed to do, we’ll look at your situation and make a call," Spurrier said. "But I’ve been out of the loop on that. I’m staying out of the loop, and we’ll find out in the next three-to-four days.”

Meanwhile, Spurrier is optimistic that defensive lineman Jarriel King will be eligible. King, who originally signed with USC three years ago, is at Georgia Military College taking a math class he needs to get into school.

"We believe everything is on schedule for Jarriel King to finally report after three years,” Spurrier said.

In other news, reserve linebacker Damien Wright has graduated and will play his final season at Coastal Carolina, according to Spurrier. Wright, a native of Sumter, appeared in seven games on special teams the past two seasons.

Sources: Garcia reinstated as of Friday

July 30th, 2008

USC officials have agreed to reinstate suspended quarterback Stephen Garicia as of Friday, sources close to the situation told The State this evening.

Garcia’s suspension was to have lasted through Aug. 15. It is unclear whether Garcia will be in attendance for the Gamecocks’ team meeting Thursday, the official reporting day for the team.

“If he’s at the meeting, then I’ll have a comment for you,” USC coach Steve Spurrier said this evening. “But I need to stay out of it until I get the official word that he’s clear. I’m out of the loop until somebody over there says that he is now with you guys.”

Garcia, a redshirt freshman from Lutz, Fla., was suspended in March following an underage drinking citation - his third run-in with the law since arriving at USC in January 2007.

Garcia is expected to begin preseason drills no higher than third on the depth chart behind Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley.

Sources: Garcia reinstated as of Friday

July 30th, 2008

USC officials have agreed to reinstate suspended quarterback Stephen Garicia as of Friday, sources close to the situation told The State this evening.

Garcia’s suspension was to have lasted through Aug. 15. It is unclear whether Garcia will be in attendance for the Gamecocks’ team meeting Thursday, the official reporting day for the team.

“If he’s at the meeting, then I’ll have a comment for you,” USC coach Steve Spurrier said this evening. “But I need to stay out of it until I get the official word that he’s clear. I’m out of the loop until somebody over there says that he is now with you guys.”

Garcia, a redshirt freshman from Lutz, Fla., was suspended in March following an underage drinking citation - his third run-in with the law since arriving at USC in January 2007.

Garcia is expected to begin preseason drills no higher than third on the depth chart behind Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley.

spurrier is out of the loop? LOLOLOL

Sac, what information do you have indicating that Spurrier gave the University an ultimatum?

i will just say i was called by an ex-neighbor about this who works up there and was told that info 2 months ago. I told gamecocknfire about it and even posted in a thread about it. This was all planned. There was no way he was going to be out til august 15th. I have more info which I mentioned to gamecocknfire about it, but basically spurrier used his muscle and got his way. They were already on the wrong side of spurrier last year and that wasn't going to happen again. Spurrier is very desperate. he knows neither smelley nor beecher are his answers at qb.