Well, this is sobering Braves fans

jdu00743

I was checking out Kotchman's stats and ran across this:

His career OPS is over 20 points lower than Yunel Escobar's (.785 vs. .762)... Yes, our SS, who has very mediocre power, has a higher OPS than our 1st baseman of the future.

****I AM NOT WRITING OFF THE TRADE, but this is a bit scary.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kotchman is not known for his power.

He is almost as good as Tex was defensively, plus he handles the bat very, very well. For a young guy, he almost never strikes out.

I would much rather have a guy like Kotchman and his extremely high contact % than an Adam Dunn type player who is "go big or go home" type hitting, where it is either a HR or a K.

Kotchman is not known for his power.

He is almost as good as Tex was defensively, plus he handles the bat very, very well. For a young guy, he almost never strikes out.

I would much rather have a guy like Kotchman and his extremely high contact % than an Adam Dunn type player who is "go big or go home" type hitting, where it is either a HR or a K.

I know the knock on him has always been his power, but I'm not so quick to write it off.

That low of an OPS from the position on the field that you are supposed to get the most power at definitely concerns me.

In what sense?

.300 avg, 40 doubles and 20 homers a season.

McCann will be the face of our franchise for years to come, But the Angels' fans are furious because they thought that Kotchman would be face of their franchise.

Both are solid guys, give the same effort and production day in day out.

I like McCann more, but most of the guys over at BravesNation think Kotchman was a HUGE pick-up.

.300 avg, 40 doubles and 20 homers a season.

McCann will be the face of our franchise for years to come, But the Angels' fans are furious because they thought that Kotchman would be face of their franchise.

Both are solid guys, give the same effort and production day in day out.

I like McCann more, but most of the guys over at BravesNation think Kotchman was a HUGE pick-up.

I think McCann has a good bit more pop than him, but that's just my opinion.

This trade is OK, and I am liking it more than I initially did, but I really do wish we would have just traded Teixeira for even just one bad *** prospect like the Brewers did in trading LaPorta (and change) for Sabathia.

This trade is OK, and I am liking it more than I initially did, but I really do wish we would have just traded Teixeira for even just one bad *** prospect like the Brewers did in trading LaPorta (and change) for Sabathia.

Sorry, it's much harder to find an Ace pitcher than it is to find a power-hitting 1st baseman. Hence why teams pay out the *** for a pitcher in trades.

I read today that the Brewers felt that LaPorta wasn't even the 3rd best team on his MiL team. They have a guy named Mat Gamel who is one of those poor defensive 3B who could play 1B or LF, but both are clearly covered for the Brewers. The Brewers don't really feel that they gave up anything.

I think in the long-run, Kotchman will be a more productive ML player than LaPorta.

I read today that the Brewers felt that LaPorta wasn't even the 3rd best team on his MiL team. They have a guy named Mat Gamel who is one of those poor defensive 3B who could play 1B or LF, but both are clearly covered for the Brewers. The Brewers don't really feel that they gave up anything.

I think in the long-run, Kotchman will be a more productive ML player than LaPorta.

Exactly. It was basically either LaPorta or Fielder, and there's no way you go with an unproven guy over Prince Fielder.

The good thing about Kotchman is that he is consistent...We know what we are going to get from him. It should help us in determining what else we need.

GO GET JASON BAY!

The good thing about Kotchman is that he is consistent...We know what we are going to get from him. It should help us in determining what else we need.

GO GET JASON BAY!

We're still going to be making deals here. I could easily see us getting Bay, but it may happen in the offseason.

I'm assuming Kelley is Kelly Johnson, who has 71 strikeouts in 348 AB, Kotchman has 23 strikeouts in 373 AB. Not sure what the Tex part was about.

Good stat.

In addition, KJ is a more selective hitter, willing to take a walk.

Kotchman doesn't collect as many walks as you would think with his low K rate. He can plain hit the ball.

Here's Kotchman's right vs left splits this year:

He’s hitting .349 (29-for-83) with three homers, a .393 OBP and .566 slugging percentage against lefties this season, and .269 (78-for-290) with nine homers, a .307 OBP and .414 slugging against righties.

I don't know that much about Kotchman , but do you think that his bat would be simular to Adam LaRoche's or do you think Kotchman's is better ? Doe's anybody also know whatever happened to Scott Thorman , who I thought was gonna be our first baseman of the future last year . Is he still a Brave and in Richmond ? I was hearing so much about him last year and they had tried him in left field and sent back to Richmond when we got Tex .

Oh dear god. I just found out who Jurrjens' agent is.....I think my heart just stopped.

It's Scott Boras.

Really? Oh god.....

He has been a lifelong Braves fan, and his dad is a HUGE fan. Hopefully Papa Jurrjens can pull a Papa Jones (Andruw's dad) and sign the deal aside from Boras.........

Wishful thinking.

I don't know that much about Kotchman , but do you think that his bat would be simular to Adam LaRoche's or do you think Kotchman's is better ? Doe's anybody also know whatever happened to Scott Thorman , who I thought was gonna be our first baseman of the future last year . Is he still a Brave and in Richmond ? I was hearing so much about him last year and they had tried him in left field and sent back to Richmond when we got Tex .

I think Kotchman is a much better player than LaRoche. With Kotchman, we're getting what Frank Wren refers to as a "bat-control" player, meaning he's not going to hit a ton of HRs (but his power is developing), but he will hit a ton of doubles and singles, and most importantly, NEVER strike out.

Kotchman is a terrific defensive player, as well.

Thorman is still in Richmond, and is struggling (I believe, haven't checked in a while). He cleared waivers during ST, which surprised many, so that should give you an idea on what other teams think of him (not much).

Not even the same type of player. Only similarity between the two is their outstanding defense. Kotchman is gap hitter, who'll get you 20-25 HRs a year, and doesn't strikeout.