Thomas Decoud

no he's a safety period. He can play both. Cover 2 safeties need to be able to tackle and cover also and he can do both. He basically replaced Jimmy.,but with a brain.

With a brain, though Jimmy probably had much better ball skills. He is a S but he has experience covering slot WRs which S's have to do from time to time.

Agreed tho.

Yeah, DeCoud is a FS

This was my favorite pick of the draft. This guy is stellar in the secondary, just great instincts.

From NFLdraftscout.com...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15161

06/12/08 - FS Thomas DeCoud, who appears to be the best coverage safety on the roster, is emerging as a player to watch as training camp nears. The rangy third-round draft pick from Cal, known for his physical play and success blocking kicks (six in college), is emerging as a nice fit for the Cover-2 scheme being implemented by head coach Mike Smith and defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder. DeCoud said he worked as the starting free safety the past few weeks of OTAs, although he likely will be the No. 2 free safety when training camp arrives July 26. Projected starter and free-agent signee Erik Coleman shifted to strong safety because veteran Lawyer Milloy was excused for prior obligations. The coaching staff wanted to put some pressure on DeCoud by putting him with the first unit and he has responded well. "I'm inviting the pressure," DeCoud said. "I'm a rookie trying to get out there and show them what I can do. They're throwing me in the fire and I'm trying to sizzle a little bit."

in the cover 2 it dont matter if he is SS or FS. their main job is make sure they got Zone coverage down. they have anything deep, and thats their job. thats why i think we should go 2 best zone coverage safeties, then 2 best NTs at DT. the NTs at DT will lock up the run game, and the 2 FS at S will lock up the passing game.

in the cover 2 it dont matter if he is SS or FS. their main job is make sure they got Zone coverage down. they have anything deep, and thats their job. thats why i think we should go 2 best zone coverage safeties, then 2 best NTs at DT. the NTs at DT will lock up the run game, and the 2 FS at S will lock up the passing game.

What do the other 7 players do ? All we need is 2 Free Safeties and 2 Grady Jackson's and the rest of the guys can take a seat eh?

What do the other 7 players do ? All we need is 2 Free Safeties and 2 Grady Jackson's and the rest of the guys can take a seat eh?

lol na. the rest do what they do. you might want to think about it. with those 2 in the middle. they will both get double teamed, so that means the other team needs a TE to block, just to have Ludasack and Abe be one on one, plus abe can beat the double team, so one on one is no problem. the middle will be stuffed, so nothing is gonna come thru, and if some one does, then we got Taylor to know them out. Brooking and Boley will cover anything in their area, and the Cbs will cover the 2 main wides, while the safeties worry bout anything deep.

no he's a safety period. He can play both. Cover 2 safeties need to be able to tackle and cover also and he can do both. He basically replaced Jimmy.,but with a brain.

Plus, he's a beast on ST.

Later on, I'll see if I can post the vid in which DeCoud took out two players on a punt return block when he was at Cal. He friggin' crushed that dude. The guy was walking off the field and then he crumpled down in pain. They had to temporarily stop the game.

Plus, he's a beast on ST.

Later on, I'll see if I can post the vid in which DeCoud took out two players on a punt return block when he was at Cal. He friggin' crushed that dude. The guy was walking off the field and then he crumpled down in pain. They had to temporarily stop the game.

here it is. I would embed it but it has explicit music on it.