Is Grady's Return a Good Thing?

I am a big fan of Grady Jackson, okay....and like many here I am glad he is back.

However....

The Falcons just went thru a process of getting rid of many older players who were deemed expendable....all for the purpose of bringing a new attitude to the team and playing the younger players so they can develop.

To me this is an indication the Falcons braintrust has no real confidence in the DTs we already have on the roster. I mean, what happened to playing and developing our young players? Are they any good, or is Grady's signing an admission that Babineaux Stanley Anderson Moore and Moorehead simply leave something to be desired?

Plus Grady cannot play an entire game, he will be playing a limited number of snaps. Good for a rotation, maybe, but if our guys are not good enough to stand on thier own, then what good are they?

Grady is not exactly a young guy. He will not be with the Falcons when the Falcons are fielding a team made up mostly of players Dimitroff has drafted/signed, when (hopefully) we have a playoff caliber team. So Jackson makes the team better in the short term.

Then he is gone, and the Falcons are back where they started before Jackson signed.

I sure hope there is a plan to get some guys in here in the next couple of years, and I hope Jackson can last that long.

Grady being a guy who can't play an entire game is part of training new guys. And we obviously can't have an entire team of young talent. Grady is cheap and effective, and can help others on the defensive line and our linebackers improve before we can get a long term answer at DT. Great signing, considering it is hard to draft 20 plus young guys for the future, and sometimes you have to grab the vet.

I will repeat, great signing. But I do hope we can get our long term guy in at nose tackle in the next draft.

I see the point of this post.

I'm a big believer in having veterans on a team and playing them until it is time for them to be passed by the younger players so signing Jackson is fine with me but I am never fine with cutting or trading away pro-bowl caliber players that have been a proven success in the league.

Okay let me put this another way...if Grady is here for only one season, maybe two....is he going to help us make the playoffs?

If our team still does not have what it takes to make the playoffs, then wouldn't it be better to play the younger guys?

Why play the younger guys if they will never be as great as Grady?

I tihnk you missed the point on why we signed Grady. We didn't sign him until it was a known fact that trey wouldn't be able to be there for our DT's for the majority of the year. I believe they was relying on him to help out the DT position and run stuffing big time. So once he was marked out then you needed to replace that kind of talent with similar or better talent. Also think about it like this most of the DT's we have, have played before and they know what to do so having a player like grady to help them mature more and teach them certain things they might not have already known can only help them while he is still helping us.

I think there's a very strong point to the original post. In general, I feel we should be playing a lot of younger guys and seeing where we need help. However, that's what I think we're doing, seeing where we need help.

If we know we need help at DT (which I think this signing does signify) it makes sense. If you have little talent at a position, it can make other positions much harder to evaluate. For instance, if you have a weak center and LG, it can make it very difficult to evaluate your QB, WRs or run game (see the Falcons debates for the entire Vick term.)

Similarly, on D, if you have a weak DT position, it is going to be very difficult to evaluate Jamal Anderson, Curtis Lofton, and really the secondary (no push from DT means more blockers on the DEs means less pass rush means too much time for the secondary to cover).

I think it may HELP the other players to develop, having some force in the middle, and learning to play the game as it is supposed to be played, instead of always covering for a weak spot. One of the keys to a successful team is each player knowing his role, and not trying to overstep it (which usually leads to not fulfilling his own responsibilities). I think the team decided they needed a solid DT in order for the defense to function properly and in order to evaluate and teach the DE/LBs and new corners.

I do think it's a sign our main guys aren't great or are staying injured (lewis) and Grady will be a stop gap who will be replaced in a year or two. But for those two years, the rest of the team won't be having to try and cover for a weak DT corps.

Okay let me put this another way...if Grady is here for only one season, maybe two....is he going to help us make the playoffs?

If our team still does not have what it takes to make the playoffs, then wouldn't it be better to play the younger guys?

we are still going out to win football games. our plan is to still make it to the playoffs this year, rebuilding or not. our chances may not be great but that is our goal. grady may not be the piece that puts us over the top but if we did im sure he would be a piece that really helped us. just because we are rebuilding doesnt meant throw your whole team in the garbage, say screw playoffs and just start all rookies.

Grady being a guy who can't play an entire game is part of training new guys. And we obviously can't have an entire team of young talent. Grady is cheap and effective, and can help others on the defensive line and our linebackers improve before we can get a long term answer at DT. Great signing, considering it is hard to draft 20 plus young guys for the future, and sometimes you have to grab the vet.

I will repeat, great signing. But I do hope we can get our long term guy in at nose tackle in the next draft.

Agreed. There's no real downside to this signing in my opinion...

Definitely a good thing.

It's only my opinion but I believe that TD & Smith had this in mind months ago but knew there was no need to rush it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they already had this set up as an option before the draft knowing that they would have the position covered. They did pass on all DT's in the draft, right? I think there was a reason for their confidence in the position (other than the FA signings), when reporters questioned it.

Also, might have stirred some unwanted controversy if they had brought him back when they were purging the team of other veterans. The timing is much better now. Jackson is a veteran, knows the offense so no real need for him to go thru ota's and risk a freak injury.

But all in all a good day.

Definitely a good thing.

It's only my opinion but I believe that TD & Smith had this in mind months ago but knew there was no need to rush it. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they already had this set up as an option before the draft knowing that they would have the position covered. They did pass on all DT's in the draft, right? I think there was a reason for their confidence in the position (other than the FA signings), when reporters questioned it.

Also, might have stirred some unwanted controversy if they had brought him back when they were purging the team of other veterans. The timing is much better now. Jackson is a veteran, knows the offense so no real need for him to go thru ota's and risk a freak injury.

But all in all a good day.

Definitely possible. Today is a great day. We got a guy who should have never left and I believe he will be just as motivated as when he first got here.

I tihnk you missed the point on why we signed Grady. We didn't sign him until it was a known fact that trey wouldn't be able to be there for our DT's for the majority of the year. I believe they was relying on him to help out the DT position and run stuffing big time. So once he was marked out then you needed to replace that kind of talent with similar or better talent. Also think about it like this most of the DT's we have, have played before and they know what to do so having a player like grady to help them mature more and teach them certain things they might not have already known can only help them while he is still helping us.

It definitly relates to the news that Trey Lewis probably is out for season or at least will miss a lot of it.