Players know Falcons head coach means business

atljbo

Players know Falcons head coach means business

By Terence Moore | Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 05:12 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch — Nobody knew the outwardly compassionate Bill Walsh would evolve into a secretly ruthless NFL head coach. Chuck Noll was more about actions than words from the start. Then you had the sideline calisthenics of John Madden, Jerry Glanville and the rest.

Anyway, who is Mike Smith, and what will he become?

You just can’t tell, especially since this particular “Mike Smith” is entering his seventh month with the Falcons as a first-year NFL head coach.

What we do know is that Smith has coached for 26 years overall, including nine in the NFL. He also has the facial profile of a kinder, gentler Vince Lombardi, and he smiles like Steve “wild and crazy guy” Martin. Plus, despite having a team that began training camp this week dominated by question marks instead of exclamation points, he gives you the impression that he is eternally joyful.

So why did Falcons defensive end John Abraham raise his eyebrows after easing into a smile between two-a-days on Tuesday after our last comment?

“I’ve seen him angry,” said Abraham, before adding in a hurry, “It wasn’t fiery angry, but I’ve seen him get an attitude a couple of times. He puts his foot down when he needs to, and a lot of times, you can have a tendency to overlook that, because if you look at his exterior, he’s such a nice guy. But when you have somebody who is always happy, you don’t want to see him when he gets mad.”

That’s true, which means the Falcons may have what they need — a head coach who makes players comfortable, but only to a point. In other words, Smith isn’t wearing the blinders of Jim Mora, who was so chummy with his players that he once climbed into the Lamborghini of DeAngelo Hall to follow the bus containing the rest of the Falcons to a team event.

Then again, Smith is sort of like Mora, suggested Abraham, who has seen more than a few coaching styles during his nine seasons in the league that began with the New York Jets. “To me, [smith] is a mix of a several people, including Jim Mora, and he’s a little bit of Herm Edwards,” Abraham said. “Both of those coaches know how to treat guys on and off the field. That’s the biggest thing to me. You can always go to Mike’s office and talk to him.”

Bobby Petrino, not so much. He was Smith’s predecessor, and he also was a rookie NFL head coach. His style was to treat professional athletes as if they were the same as the college players he was used to coaching. The word “dictatorship” comes to mind. Not surprisingly, with much of the Falcons locker room threatening to shove a goalpost down his mouth, he bolted in the middle of the night to call Hogs in Arkansas near the end of last season.

You had Mora before Petrino, and you had Dan Reeves and his traditional ways as a veteran NFL head coach before that. As for other Falcons skippers, their styles aren’t worth mentioning, except for moments of goodness by a Leeman Bennett here and a Glanville there.

Now you have Smith and his occasionally deceptive calmness. “I’m not a hothead by any stretch, but the guys know when it’s time to get on point,” Smith said, straight-faced, forgetting to add … or else.

Yup... I learned that Coach Smith is about busniess while looking at the NFL Network.... They had a program following the Jags training Camp.... Hugh Douglas was not showing Coach Smith enough ,so during a Meeting Coach Smith told Jack Del Rio that Hugh should not make the cut...so he hugh got cut.... Coach Smith showed me that he will do what he has to do

So I guess Abe is back in practice.

And I never heard about Mora getting in the Lambo with D Hall, that's true???

Yup..... i heard that the team was going to a team event or something..... D-Hall Choose to ride his Lambo and Coach Mora went with D-Hall...... Coach Mora showed favoritism with certain players........ Dude the falcons had so many problems thats the fans did not no about........ Thats why i'm glad that we are starting over..... We can build it the right way............... It all starts with your QB

The only surprising thing is that Terrance Moore wrote it.

And I think Hall and Mora jumped in the Lambo on the way to a team building movie. After some practice they went to see some **** movie, and Mora went in the Lambo. And if it's not true, it sure as **** sounds like something that is.

What MeAngelo Lacks in Credibility, He Makes Up for in Hubris

Ryan WilsonPosted Sep 30th 2007 10:04AM by Ryan Wilson

Well, the PR peeps in the Falcons organization should know the routine by now: player does something stupid, team helps player navigate through media minefield on their way out of town. Michael Vick we know about. Next up: DeAngelo Hall.

Apparently, Hall -- who was fined $100,000 last week for losing the Carolina game all by himself -- wants to be treated like everyone else ... when it suits him. He told new head coach Bobby Petrino he wasn't interested in playing wide receiver or returning punts, and that the 23-year-old former first-round pick should command the same respect as a 10-year vet:

I want to be respected. I don't just walk up to people and [curse at] them all the time. But you can ask [former coach Jim Mora]: If he [cursed] me, I [cursed] him right back. That's probably my biggest problem, that equality. If you're going to talk to this guy that way, you should talk to everybody that way. If you're not going to talk to X-Y-Z after he makes a mistake, then why, after I make a mistake or a penalty, are you talking to me a different way?"

Oh, right, Jim Mora. The scuttlebutt last week was that Mora gave Hall preferential treatment as the Falcons coach. And it didn't go unnoticed, although this is kinda hard to miss:

He clarified an incident before last season in which he drove Mora to a team-building function in his Lamborghini while other players watched from the bus. Hall said all players took the bus to the movie "Invincible." He admitted giving Mora a ride to a team bowling tournament, but says some other players also drove cars. (The problem: It doesn't change the fact that several veterans were upset by the incident.)

Hall's contract is up after the '08 season, and who knows what state of disrepair the Falcons will be in by that point. I think it's safe to bet that by that point, Hall's got a better chance of being in Atlanta than Petrino. And not because Petrino will get canned. He's gonna pull a 'Saban' and bolt back to college.

Jbo, as always, thanks for your post. I should have told the guys not to doubt your info, you have never, to my knowledge, guessed. It's not your style.

Now, your next mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find out who the stud Olineman we're gonna acquire!

GO FALCONS!!!

The best head coaches are the ones who surround themselves with

very good assistant coaches. Not every head coach can deal with the

egos and different personalities of his players, but he has assistants

who can. What ever the case Smith seems to have a handle on things.

I won't try to compare him with any of our former coaches because all

I want him to be is the best coach Smith he can be.

its funny how everytime the foulcons get a new coach theres hype on how much better the teams gonna be and then approx. 3 years later theres a coaching change :lol::lol::lol:

Give me a list of 5 real things you like about the falcons. I know theirs a list a mile long of things you don't like but i want to know something you do. Also i would like to know what a few things you would do to make the falcons better.

Give me a list of 5 real things you like about the falcons. I know theirs a list a mile long of things you don't like but i want to know something you do. Also i would like to know what a few things you would do to make the falcons better.

theres not too much to be admired under this ownership, so to make the team better the 1st thing would be to get a new owner. this once potential contending team has marched consistently to the cellar since the 2004 season

theres not too much to be admired under this ownership, so to make the team better the 1st thing would be to get a new owner. this once potential contending team has marched consistently to the cellar since the 2004 season

You pretty much have no shot of getting a owner change in the near future. So you will need to work around that although being truthful their is alot worse owners that we could have to be truthful you have never been a fan of a team that truly has owner/owners that doesn't care about the team at all.

YOU'RE WAISTING YOUR TIME. THERE'S NOT ONE THING HE LIKES ABOUT

THE FALCONS. HE ONLY POSTS HERE TO DISCOURAGE THE ONES OF US

WHO DO HAVE THINGS WE LIKE ABOUT THE TEAM. YOU'LL NEVER HEAR

ANYTHING POSITIVE FROM THIS GUY. IF WE'RE SUCH LOSERS, WHY DO

YOU THINK HE HANGS AROUND?...... JUST TO DISCOURAGE YOU

You pretty much have no shot of getting a owner change in the near future. So you will need to work around that although being truthful their is alot worse owners that we could have to be truthful you have never been a fan of a team that truly has owner/owners that doesn't care about the team at all.

i was a big faithful fan under the smiths, that wore thin until 199(and dayum eugene robinson). blank started off ok but fired reeves because i guess he knows more about football than reeves and thinks rookie coaches are the route to the superbowl. that or his following the owners manual strictly and that was more than likely written by rankin. i dont see too much difference in this team from the original owner to the current one. just my opinion

YOU'RE WAISTING YOUR TIME. THERE'S NOT ONE THING HE LIKES ABOUT

THE FALCONS. HE ONLY POSTS HERE TO DISCOURAGE THE ONES OF US

WHO DO HAVE THINGS WE LIKE ABOUT THE TEAM. YOU'LL NEVER HEAR

ANYTHING POSITIVE FROM THIS GUY. IF WE'RE SUCH LOSERS, WHY DO

YOU THINK HE HANGS AROUND?...... JUST TO DISCOURAGE YOU

win some seasons then we will have something good to talk about. basically thats all one reads on these boards is how good the team is and how many games over .500 they are gonna be but at the end of the day and year they are below .500 winning percentage. so basically out of me ,what you dont hear is lies :lol::lol::lol:

youd rather hear lies and be happy than to hear truths :lol::lol::lol:

. i dont see too much difference in this team from the original owner to the current one. just my opinion

THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE. "GET YOU ANOTHER TEAM."

YOU HAVE 31 TO CHOOSE FROM. WE'LL EVEN SEND

A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION AHEAD OF YOU.

JUST TELL US WHICH TEAM YOU WANT TO BE A FAN OF?