Teixeira to Angels per ESPN

Lightmare

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest part of this trade is that we now have a solid, cheap 1B under our control for 3.5 more years.

We need to go out now and possibly deal for a Jason Bay if the asking price isn't too much. We should be able to re-sign Bay after the '09 season. With Bay and Kotchman added, we've significantly lessened our needs with still a lot of money to play with.

Biggest part of this trade is that we now have a solid, cheap 1B under our control for 3.5 more years.

We need to go out now and possibly deal for a Jason Bay if the asking price isn't too much. We should be able to re-sign Bay after the '09 season. With Bay and Kotchman added, we've significantly lessened our needs with still a lot of money to play with.

Pirates are pissing me off with their trade decisions. We offered Lillbridge, Jones and to pitching prospects, EXACTLY WHAT THEY ASKED FOR, then they decline.

I can't believe that the Braves weren't able to get a top-rated prospect for someone like Teixeira.

I think he's a rental for LAA so that they can win the WS this year... They just paid a load for their CF - Hunter so it's WS or bust for LAA. Good move by the home team to get a young/solid 1B for Tex. 3.5 years till free agency i think.

Pirates are asking WAY too much for Bay.

No thanks.

I can't believe that the Braves weren't able to get a top-rated prospect for someone like Teixeira.

Same here. Brandon Wood is their top prospect, but they've yet to call him up and could have on several opportunities. I can't really argue with the Kotchman thing though. He rarely strikes out (23 ks in 373 AB), already good on defense, and is only going better on offense

That's b/c the market wasn't that great for him.

The market wasn't great for one of the best 1st Baseman and BEST defensive first baseman in the MLB who is still in his 20's who can hit for power and average?

Yeah, ********.

This was a serious gaff on the Braves' part.

The market wasn't great for one of the best 1st Baseman and BEST defensive first baseman in the MLB who is still in his 20's who can hit for power and average?

Yeah, ********.

This was a serious gaff on the Braves' part.

No, it wasn't that great b/c in all likelihood, he's a 3 month rental. Everybody from Gammons to Keith Law has said that.

YOu weren't gonna get much for him b/c of that.

Sorry to tell you the truth.

I trust Wren on this one.

No, it wasn't that great b/c in all likelihood, he's a 3 month rental. Everybody from Gammons to Keith Law has said that.

YOu weren't gonna get much for him b/c of that.

Sorry to tell you the truth.

I trust Wren on this one.

Wren may be making moves this season that we look back on in three years and go, "whoa what a job that guy did for us and man his vision for seeing the future and what could be is incredible" but right now those moves hurt!

The Renteria trade I am still not sold on. JJ could turn out to be an all-star in the very near future and Hernandez may be a great player too but that's not helping us and didn't help us this season.

Wren may be making moves this season that we look back on in three years and go, "whoa what a job that guy did for us and man his vision for seeing the future and what could be is incredible" but right now those moves hurt!

The Renteria trade I am still not sold on. JJ could turn out to be an all-star in the very near future and Hernandez may be a great player too but that's not helping us and didn't help us this season.

How could you not be sold on the Renteria trade and JJ?

The only way is if you've had your head up your *** all year.

How were you not sold on the Renteria trade? He was getting up there in age and can't stay healthy, and Escobar is improving every day. Jurrjens has what it takes to be an ace. You can't expect one player to change the whole season.

How were you not sold on the Renteria trade? He was getting up there in age and can't stay healthy, and Escobar is improving every day. Jurrjens has what it takes to be an ace. You can't expect one player to change the whole season.

Yeah, that is one deal that really can't be questioned.

On one hand you have a 22 yo kid who's throwing lights out and will be a #2 at worst for his career. You also get to promote one of your promising infielders.

Edit: Thanks headshot...you also get a great prospect in Gorkys.

On the other you have a 33 yo guy who's hitting .261 with 5 hr and 35 RBI.

No contest.

I had a different outlook on the season.

I wanted to see Renteria in the lineup because healthwise he was dependable with the exception of last year and because he was a solid bat at the top of our lineup.

I wanted to see Renteria at SS, KJ at 2nd and Escobar in LF.

Now granted Escobar would only be in LF because I have more faith in him than I do KJ and he would only be out there for a season or two at the most before he was moved back to his natural SS position.

I just didn't think that the Braves had the kind of bats in their lineup to lose a dependable guy who hits close to .300 every year now granted he's not hitting .300 this year but JJ isn't exactly setting the world on fire either despite what homers say.

What have we won with JJ and who is to say that what I am thinking would have us in a worse position than we are in now?

Turns out we didn't have the bats to make a run, Renteria has played more games than Escobar and I wasn't crazy about turning SS over to Escobar after one half season although he has played well so far.

I believe in Escobar but I would have been happier if we could have kept the both of them.

Like I said Hernandez and JJ could be great in the future and this deal could turn out to be a steal but right now and in the immediate future it's done us no good.

Like I said Hernandez and JJ could be great in the future and this deal could turn out to be a steal but right now and in the immediate future it's done us no good.

I don't know that Renteria would have been good for 10 wins this year, so it has done us good. It's the other parts that let us down, not Jair, and we have to assume they'd have let us down with Rent on the team. It might not have done us much good, but I guess 6 games under .500 is better than 16.

Edit: and Escobar has had a slightly better year than Renteria, so it definitely helped.

I don't know that Renteria would have been good for 10 wins this year, so it has done us good. It's the other parts that let us down, not Jair, and we have to assume they'd have let us down with Rent on the team. It might not have done us much good, but I guess 6 games under .500 is better than 16.

Well it's all, "what could have been" and, "speculation" of that sort.

I am excited about having JJ in our rotation and I can certainly see a future with him and Charlie and maybe even Hanson.

I don't like this deal at all.

Kotchman hasn't done anything that impressive to me and Marek is even less impressive. Wren says that we had no shot to sign Tex long term but I have a hard time believing that knowing that Hampton's salary comes off the books as well as Glavine's possibly.

Wren has is talking up Kotchman big time and I hope he's right but I don't see it...

I don't like this deal at all.

Kotchman hasn't done anything that impressive to me and Marek is even less impressive. Wren says that we had no shot to sign Tex long term but I have a hard time believing that knowing that Hampton's salary comes off the books as well as Glavine's possibly.

Wren has is talking up Kotchman big time and I hope he's right but I don't see it...

I have to ask you this, though: Is Mark Teixeira worth the $20+ million that both he and Scott Boras are seeking? I say not even close. He's a nice player with great talent, but he isn't one of the top 10 players in the league. If we're giving that much money to somebody, it needs to be an A-Rod/Pujols type slugger.

We're getting cheaper and younger. Kotchman is no slouch, either. Just don't expect him to put up Teixeira-like numbers (35+ HRs, 120 RBIs). Instead, I think you can realistically project Kotchman as a 20 HR/40 2B guy each and every year, along with gold-glove defense.

Kotchman will be making somewhere in the $2-$4 million range with us each year. Had we gathered the resources to sign Tex long-term, he'd be making atleast $20 million/per. Is Mark Teixeira really THAT much better than Kotchman? Absolutely not.

I have to ask you this, though: Is Mark Teixeira worth the $20+ million that both he and Scott Boras are seeking? I say not even close. He's a nice player with great talent, but he isn't one of the top 10 players in the league. If we're giving that much money to somebody, it needs to be an A-Rod/Pujols type slugger.

We're getting cheaper and younger. Kotchman is no slouch, either. Just don't expect him to put up Teixeira-like numbers (35+ HRs, 120 RBIs). Instead, I think you can realistically project Kotchman as a 20 HR/40 2B guy each and every year, along with gold-glove defense.

Kotchman will be making somewhere in the $2-$4 million range with us each year. Had we gathered the resources to sign Tex long-term, he'd be making atleast $20 million/per. Is Mark Teixeira really THAT much better than Kotchman? Absolutely not.

I don't know that Tex wouldn't have signed for less than that. He's already said he wanted to finish his career here and typically players give discounts for that kind of sentiment.

Had we gotten something along with Kotchman worth something then I wouldn't feel so bad about it but Marek is extremely mediocre. It's not so much that Kotchman is "bad" as it is that we didn't get nearly enough, IMO...

We overpaid huge for him last year and several of us here knew that off the bat. Once the Hudson injury was disclosed and we fell 7 games back, people realized we had to make a deal. So, we had to go around the majors with our hat in hand asking for best deals. Last month, we could had Tex for Kotchman, Wood and then some. Today, we got Kotchman and an unheralded arm. Frankly, it's amazing how bad the entire Teixeira fiasco went for us since this is the reverse of what happened last year when we went from Salty straight up for him to half a starting lineup for him. I don't ever want to hear his name again. He was just bad mojo for us.