Latest poll numbers

51FALCON

I will only say I would have expected a bigger bump for Obama considering he got all the press.

politicalIntelligence.gif< Back to Front Page Text size +

McCain ahead in new poll

Email|Link|Comments (28) Posted by Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor July 28, 2008 04:19 PM While most national polls show Democrat Barack Obama with a single-digit edge over Republican John McCain, a new survey out this afternoon shows McCain surging into the lead.

The USA Today/Gallup poll has McCain ahead 49 percent to 45 percent among likely voters after picking up 10 percentage points over the last month. Obama still leads among the broader group of registered voters, 47 percent to 44 percent, which the pollster says is the more important this far away from the election. (Gallup's separate daily tracking poll has Obama up 49 percent to 40 percent.)

The poll was conducted Friday through Sunday, as Obama was wrapping up his high-profile foreign tour. Obama, himself, predicted he might dip a little in the polls because he spent eight days off the campaign trail at home. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Obama, himself, predicted he might dip a little in the polls because he spent eight days off the campaign trail at home.

I find that statement by Obama laughable considering the whole trip was a huge media lovefest and Obama pep rally.