Mike Smith, Coach of the Year

The margin that separates the Patriots, or Colts, or Giants from the Falcons is very miniscule. The talent level between a 14-2 Superbowl Champion and a 4-12 Cellar Dweller is about an inch between your fingers. Good Coaching makes mediocre players Good Players, and makes Good Players Great Players.

From everything I have seen Mike Smith is destined to be a Great Head Coach. He has the perfect attitude, the perfect work-ethic, very low-key while being very vocal. And very friendly, without being labeled a "player's coach". Thomas Dimitroff made an excellent hire witht his guy, and it wouldn't surprise me to see TD get GM of the Year as well.

Right now, I'll be happy if we put a team on the field that tries hard whether we're up by ten or down by thirty. The last two years were brutal for seeing nine guys hustling and two taking plays off, especially when the other team knew who the two were and exploited it. Also, I hated to see us not step up when we absolutely, positively needed to leave it all on the field.

Look at it this way: Last season, the Falcons – despite perhaps the worst shocks ever experienced by an NFL team – went 4-12. If the Falcons had even average placekickers, the record could well have been at least 6-10. (I attended the Jax game; I hope former PK Matt Prater [who missed two point-blank field goals, and was fired the next day] burns in ****.)

Heck, at the beginning of the 2006 season, no "expert" gave the Saints much chance. After all, after the Saints ****-season of 2005, how could the Saints bounce back with a new coach – heck, new everything. But the Saints were not without their weapons, and lit up the NFL until the playoffs when they apparently finally ran out of steam.

The Falcons are also not without their weapons. Many players this season strongly feel they have something to prove – to show. Combine that with the general low expectations for the Falcons and probable overconfidence of the other teams (don't you know many already have a "W" chalked up by the Falcons name on their schedule), it is not beyond possibility for the Falcons to have at least a respectable season.

In the immortal words of the late Flip Wilson: "Looooook out! . . . Looooookkkkkkkk Ouuuuuuuuutttttt!!!!"

The margin that separates the Patriots, or Colts, or Giants from the Falcons is very miniscule. The talent level between a 14-2 Superbowl Champion and a 4-12 Cellar Dweller is about an inch between your fingers. Good Coaching makes mediocre players Good Players, and makes Good Players Great Players.

From everything I have seen Mike Smith is destined to be a Great Head Coach. He has the perfect attitude, the perfect work-ethic, very low-key while being very vocal. And very friendly, without being labeled a "player's coach". Thomas Dimitroff made an excellent hire witht his guy, and it wouldn't surprise me to see TD get GM of the Year as well.

LMAO, umm, ok.

The difference between a 9-7 team and a 14-2 SB team is inches. The difference between that atrocity in ATL and a SB is something the universe can't hold. No, you won't be anything more than a 4-12 team with that horrid talent. Keep the faith though, that's all you have.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but tell me - how many of our players would start on either one of those teams? Less than 5 out of 22. That's not close.

Guest genn0226

I agree. If we go 9-7 he should be the Coach of the Year. Unfortunately, the media won't be sold on a no-name guy coaching the Atlanta Falcons, out of all teams. I can see them giving the Coach of the Year honors to Norv Turner or Brad Childress if either team has a 12+ win season (specially Minnesota).

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but tell me - how many of our players would start on either one of those teams? Less than 5 out of 22. That's not close.

Very few college stars come out of college and become NFL Stars. Usually, they emerge as they grow in the NFL. Go back to Jamal Anderson (not the DE, the RB). He was the 200th pick in the draft. He set an NFL record for rushing carries. He also got us to a Superbowl.

Look even further back at Jesse Tuggle. Undersized, came from a small south Ga. school. And probably is the best LB outside of Tommy Nobis this franchise has ever had.

The players we have here now can be "great", but it takes a good coaching staff to make them achieve that. And we have a really solid coaching staff here. Finally.

Look at other teams. Wes Welker? He was a nobody coming out of college. Look what he's doing now. Brett Favre? Remember him? Glanville couldn'd do anything with him. But look what happened when some solid QB coaches in GB took charge of him. Tom Brady - he wasn't even on the radar of anyone in the NFL, but he had some solid coaching to develop with.

Right now, maybe very few of our players would be starting on other NFL teams, but let's re-evaluate this after 1 season and see what happens. Remember Michael Boley before last pre-season? He would have had a hard time starting on another NFL team back then, but look at him now. He could start on any team now. Star NFL players are not born - they are made. And I think we have a lot potentials in the making right now.

who are you and why are you posting on jedi falcons acct?

I'm trying to not be so negative and pessimistic now. There is no reason to. Expectations are so low now that we need as much positive energy as possible.

Now when the Falcons start being a top-tier team again, things will be different.

The difference between the Super Bowl champs and the worst team in the league is inches?????? Please hand over that BUD you're smoking. For crying out loud, the difference between the Colts and the Lions last year was MILES and the Colts didn't make the Super Bowl and the Lions weren't the worst team. It's great to have hope for your favorite team but quit different to be completely delusional. Not only are the Falcons battling to over come last year's joke of a season but we are also battling to overcome being a laughing stock of a franchise. All I ask for is a touch of reality, is that really asking too much?

Very few college stars come out of college and become NFL Stars. Usually, they emerge as they grow in the NFL. Go back to Jamal Anderson (not the DE, the RB). He was the 200th pick in the draft. He set an NFL record for rushing carries. He also got us to a Superbowl.

Look even further back at Jesse Tuggle. Undersized, came from a small south Ga. school. And probably is the best LB outside of Tommy Nobis this franchise has ever had.

The players we have here now can be "great", but it takes a good coaching staff to make them achieve that. And we have a really solid coaching staff here. Finally.

Look at other teams. Wes Welker? He was a nobody coming out of college. Look what he's doing now. Brett Favre? Remember him? Glanville couldn'd do anything with him. But look what happened when some solid QB coaches in GB took charge of him. Tom Brady - he wasn't even on the radar of anyone in the NFL, but he had some solid coaching to develop with.

Right now, maybe very few of our players would be starting on other NFL teams, but let's re-evaluate this after 1 season and see what happens. Remember Michael Boley before last pre-season? He would have had a hard time starting on another NFL team back then, but look at him now. He could start on any team now. Star NFL players are not born - they are made. And I think we have a lot potentials in the making right now.

I hope you're right. I can respect a well thought out post. Very good sir.

Right now, I'll be happy if we put a team on the field that tries hard whether we're up by ten or down by thirty. The last two years were brutal for seeing nine guys hustling and two taking plays off, especially when the other team knew who the two were and exploited it. Also, I hated to see us not step up when we absolutely, positively needed to leave it all on the field.

My god, that would be nice. If that's what we got, I think I'd get what it would take to make me happy, which is more wins than last year, and progress enough to look forward to next year with higher expectations.

My god, that would be nice. If that's what we got, I think I'd get what it would take to make me happy, which is more wins than last year, and progress enough to look forward to next year with higher expectations.

Exactly. If we show signs of being a real offense (aka post Vick/Mora/Petrino gimmick offense) and an effective defense we've improved.