Will the braves trade Tex for nothing?

ProtoType

Yahoo! Sports' Steve Henson reports that negotiations between the Diamondbacks and Braves are "pretty far along."

Henson believes the Braves are asking for either Conor Jackson or Chad Tracy, plus a prospect. Jackson is likely off the table, but if the Braves are willing to accept Tracy as the centerpiece of a deal, then the Diamondbacks have to seriously consider making the trade. Still, it could come down to the prospect. The Diamondbacks don't have much to offer besides Max Scherzer and Jarrod Parker after giving up a big portion of their system for Dan Haren, and it's doubtful that they'd part with either right-hander.

Sounds like it.

Again why can't the braves re-sign Tex? Whats the point in trading away Salty if we wasn't gonna keep Tex? Wow.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again why can't the braves re-sign Tex? Whats the point in trading away Salty if we wasn't gonna keep Tex? Wow.

Because the trade didn't go as planned. They got Tex thinking he would put the braves over the top as far as getting into the playoffs. Unfortunately that has not been the case.

You don't invest nearly 1/5th of your team's payroll into one player (Teixeira). He and his agent, Scott Boras, are looking for nearly $23 million/per. That's ridiculous.

If they're going to invest that much money into one player, it better be someone of the A-Rod/Pujols variety, not Mark Teixeira.

You don't invest nearly 1/5th of your team's payroll into one player (Teixeira). He and his agent, Scott Boras, are looking for nearly $23 million/per. That's ridiculous.

If they're going to invest that much money into one player, it better be someone of the A-Rod/Pujols variety, not Mark Teixeira.

Exactly.

And for Proto, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Braves payroll increase. They'd open their purse some for Tex, but there's just a difference between most teams in the league and the Yanks/Sox/Mets and maybe Cubs. When one of those teams gets in the mix, it's bad enough, but you're talking about both NY teams with aging first basemen coming off the books. Few teams have big enough purses to go against that.

As I said the day this trade was announced, dealing five prospects for two guys who won't give you two full seasons between them is the equivalent of pushing all your chips in on 7/2 off-suit. Even after all this time, the aspect that still bothers me the most is that we had only agreed on four players. When Harrison came up with a tender shoulder, we had to throw in Beau Jones to complete the deal. Harrison has already reached the majors and Jones has a sub-3 ERA this year. It was just brutal.

And now we're talking about getting two quality players back in a trade of Tex. It makes me sick to my stomach.

As I said the day this trade was announced, dealing five prospects for two guys who won't give you two full seasons between them is the equivalent of pushing all your chips in on 7/2 off-suit. Even after all this time, the aspect that still bothers me the most is that we had only agreed on four players. When Harrison came up with a tender shoulder, we had to throw in Beau Jones to complete the deal. Harrison has already reached the majors and Jones has a sub-3 ERA this year. It was just brutal.

And now we're talking about getting two quality players back in a trade of Tex. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Harrison and Jones are so far from being a reason for concern. I couldn't care less that we included Harrison, who is currently projected as a mediocre #4 or #5 guy.

I don't even care about Saltalamacchia. I would've loved to have kept him, but we really didn't have room for him.

And while Elvis Andrus could be great, I seriously question his bat. Great defense, but Yunel looks to be better anyway.

The ONE guy I wish we could have kept is Nefalti Feliz. Word is that he has touched 101 mph on the radar gun this season, and his been one of the most impressive pitchers in all of the minor leagues.

The Rangers got great reward from both the Braves and Red Sox last season (although they just bent over the Red Sox). Hindsight is always 20/20, but at the time it felt like the right move. None of those guys would be seriously producing right now anyway (at least not to the extent that Tex has), so we have to move on.

As for this ridiculous rumor that we will be giving away Tex for nothing, Steve Phillips said today that the only basis for comparison is that (assuming we offer Tex arbitration) we will get two 1st round picks. So anything the D'Backs or anyone else wants to offer has to be greater than those two picks.

Yeah, we've been down this road before. Feliz is the guy I worry about the least right now. I see Jones and him as being roughly equivalent. Losing Harrison kills me. I think he's a solid MLB starter moving forward and we lumped him in with our two best prospects and then tossed him on top of that. Feliz has been sensational this year, but it's still just A ball for the most part. The fact that we are having to rank which one of five players we are most upset to have traded away speaks volumes, though.

Players are getting more $$$$, get over it.

Trade away Tex because they can't afford him? But yet teams like Yankees, Red Sox, angles, etc can have multi super stars on their roster? ******** I wish this team stop being so ******** cheap.

you don't understand baseball markets, do you?

having the 10th highest payroll in baseball is far from cheap.

Players are getting more $$$$, get over it.

Trade away Tex because they can't afford him? But yet teams like Yankees, Red Sox, angles, etc can have multi super stars on their roster? ******** I wish this team stop being so ******** cheap.

Do you even watch baseball? If so, can you honestly say that Tex is worth $23 million/per? If you think so, I have to question how many games you watch per year. The guy is a good player, not great. Not anywhere close to being worth that much.

To that end, Jon Heyman has a column up at SI where a bunch of GMs, scouting directors and assistant GMs are asked to name players they would build a team around. 35 guys got votes. McCann was one of them, but Tex was not. If you want to pay a guy who is not one of the best 35 players one of the five highest contracts, be my guest. I'm glad you're not running my team, though.

Nothing to do with this thread, but wanted to post a couple comments from Cubs' fans after the Will Ohman trade in the offseason:

Ohman was/is a joke. Do the braves not watch tapes or view stats of the players they trade for? Thank you for the gift. Oh and Braves fans get ready to curse this day every time he comes to the mound this summer.......HAHA. This is our payback for giving you Maddux

This is good trade. Basically means, Jones, ohman and infante each aren't viewed by the rest of baseball teams as worth more than a class aa reliever, not a class aa starter, but a class aa reliever. So, if nothing else cubs team will have some less dead wood next year. Being stuck playing players like this day after day must be numbing for a manager, not to mention fans, who at least can drink to make it less upleasant an experience to watch such drivel.

Ascanio, whom we traded for Infante and Ohman, pitched in 6 games (5.2 innings), with a staggering 7.94 ERA, with a BB:SO ratio of 4:3 for the Cubs, and had a 4.23 ERA in 38.1 IP for their AAA affiliate. Good trade for us, huh?

Ah new boards some POS service: can't reply because when I try to reply it logs me out of the boards.

But its nice to see people kneejerk defend another horrible Atlanta ownership group.

How are they horrible? They've owned the team for little over a year (if that), and have no way to stop key players from being injured. Until they give us a reason to think they are horrible (so far, they have proven otherwise), people can defend them all they want.

Let's see...they give up the farm to get Tex and now they are going to trade him for peanuts because they won't pay him. They have yet to show any serious money to anyone and show zero inclination to do that. With Smoltz, Hampton, Glavine and Tex likely gone after this season I expect them to trot out AAA or cheap utility players to fill their voids.

Let's see...they give up the farm to get Tex and now they are going to trade him for peanuts because they won't pay him. They have yet to show any serious money to anyone and show zero inclination to do that. With Smoltz, Hampton, Glavine and Tex likely gone after this season I expect them to trot out AAA or cheap utility players to fill their voids.

They gave up the farm? That's the front-office, not the ownership group there bud, and we're going to trade him for peanuts because we won't pay him an astronomical $23 MILLION a year, over 7-8 seasons? I love Teixeira and what he brings to the table, but he sure as **** isn't worth no **** $23 million a year. I'd also like to see who we would be shoveling out that serious money to. There's a difference between spending money, and throwing it away. As for Smoltz, Glavine, and Hampton...Hampton is scheduled to make 15 mil next year. I'm sorry, but a guy who just made his 1st start in three years in NO way deserves to make $15m in a season. If he is going to be a Brave next year, which is still a possibility, it'll be for much less money (seeing we don't have to pay for his buyout clause, which was picked up by Colorado). Smoltz, if healthy, will be a Brave, since he has a $12m option next year, and Glavine will most likely retire.

The ownership of the Braves needs to stop being so **** cheap, we can't always win with average players from AAA.

What average players do we have from AAA? Jesus Christ, I wish people like you would come with some facts on this board. We have the 10th highest payroll in baseball, at $102m (up from the 80-85m that Time Warner gave us), with two All-Star players, and 5 other players who are capable of being All-Stars (Tex, Hudson, Escobar, Jurrjens, and Gonzalez). If you had been paying ANY attention to the trade rumors lately, we've been adamantly pursuing the likes of Xavier Nady, Jason Bay, and Raul Ibanez.

lol, $102million cap but yet we can't resign Tex? this team just don't want to spend money on players that actually worth it...instead we watch them walk or trade them for nothing.

Also please name me some very good AAA pitchers from our farm system that is not average? I didn't think so...average pitchers at best.