Does Anybody Have ESPN Insider?

Vicious

I'll predict UGA vs UF as one up top as well. I'm really curious to see which ones he picked.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. That should be a good one, I'll probably record it (As long as a USC game isn't on at the same time).

you can record two things at once

Not right now, I only have one cable hooked up to my DVR. I need to call DirectTV and have them come and install a 2nd line. I've been procastinating but now that the season is just around the corner it's something that'll need to be taken care of.

Here is the article.

Ohio State-USC tops must-see games of 2008

Monday, July 21, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

This week's top 10 list is the most anticipated regular-season games for the 2008 season.

1. Ohio State at USC, Sept. 13: The Buckeyes can exorcise a lot of demons (and shut up a lot of critics) if they go to L.A. and beat the Trojans. Pete Carroll's program seems to be built for these kinds of games. (In the past five years, the Trojans have played four nonconference opponents which have been ranked in the top 15, and they defeated all four by an average of 16 ppg.) For USC, the game will be a good proving ground for new starting QB Mark Sanchez and an O-line that is replacing four departed starters.

Win this game, and it's all downhill to a possible national title berth, especially since neither team plays in a league with a conference championship game. This game will also feature three of the best linebackers in the country in OSU's James Laurinaitis and USC's Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing. A big showing in a winning effort by Buckeyes bruiser Beanie Wells could have a huge impact on the Heisman race as well. Former Trojans QB Carson Palmer is very fired up about this meeting:

"I'm really getting sick of it, and I just can't wait for this game to get here so they can come out to the Coliseum and experience L.A. and get an old-fashioned Pac-10 butt-whooppin and go back to the Big Ten."

2. Florida vs. Georgia, Nov. 1: Two preseason top-five teams meeting up in Jacksonville sounds like a blast. Last season, the Dawgs took it to UF pretty good, winning 42-30. This game should feature hefty Heisman ties with Tim Tebow going against Knowshon Moreno -- and Matt Stafford. Some Gators fans will point out Tebow wasn't 100 percent last time around, although it was Florida's D which really took a beating (Moreno went for almost 200 yards).

3. Texas Tech at Oklahoma, Nov. 22: The Red Raiders are emerging as one of the trendy picks to make a title run. Last season, Tech coach Mike Leach upset old buddy Bob Stoops' team in a game where OU QB Sam Bradford was injured with a concussion. Tech hasn't won in Norman since 1996. This figures to be the Red Raiders' toughest game since they get UT in Lubbock and don't face Mizzou.

4. Auburn at West Virginia, Oct. 23: This will be one of the best Thursday night matchups in years. It's also a great shot for the Big East to get some respect. Plus, watching QB Pat White, an Alabama native, going up against the fast Tigers D will be a lot of fun. Cool subplot: New Auburn DC Paul Rhodes ran Pitt's defense last year when the Panthers wrecked WVU's national title hopes and bottled White & Co. for just 183 total yards in Morgantown.

5. Appalachian State at LSU, Aug. 30: Ever since App State beat Michigan, this game has had some buzz. When you can bill it as the FBS champ versus the FCS champ, it sounds like an even more intriguing matchup. App State QB Armanti Edwards is a dynamic talent who has generated some Heisman buzz, which will build exponentially if there is a huge upset here. Also on the line? LSU's 22-game home win streak in nonconference games.

6. Georgia at Arizona State, Sept. 20: The mighty Dawgs head west (way west) for the first time in a very long time to meet an Arizona State squad which could be dangerous if it learned how to protect the passer. The last time UGA met a touted team with a similar rep, the Dawgs hammered Colt Brennan's squad and left anyone who talked Hawaii up looking foolish. A win here would be huge for the Pac-10's rep against the vaunted SEC.

7. Alabama at LSU, Nov. 8: In truth, the Tigers' games at Auburn and Florida probably will have more on the line in terms of national-title implications, but the idea of seeing former LSU coach Nick Saban coming back to Baton Rouge is just too sweet. In Saban Bowl I, LSU piled up almost twice as many yards as the Tide, but the Tigers escaped with the win -- barely.

8. Notre Dame at Washington, Oct. 25: Two once-proud programs meet in Seattle. Ty Willingham, whom many Irish fans still blame for ND's embarrassing 2007 season, is certainly on the hot seat. However, a win over his former team could get him off it and probably would get the heat under Charlie Weis' chair cranked up pretty high. The Huskies don't have a good history versus ND, losing all six meetings.

9. Wisconsin at Fresno State, Sept. 13: This one will get overshadowed by the OSU-USC game, but it still could be compelling. The Badgers feel they have a national title shot, while Fresno loves its rep as the giant killer. The teams split their two meetings, although both were in Madison.

(Tie) 10. BYU at Utah, Nov. 22: Utah holds a big lead in the "Holy War" series, although 10 of the past 11 encounters have been decided by a TD or less. This year's meeting might determine who gets into a BCS bowl. The Utes have a chance to build some buzz with games at Michigan and later against Oregon State, while BYU visits Washington and then hosts UCLA.

10. Ole Miss at Arkansas, Oct. 25: If you think Saban is going to feel some venom in Baton Rouge, tune in to see the heat Houston Nutt draws when he comes home. To say there are a bunch of bitter folks back in Arkansas is an understatement. The Rebels also have been hammered by the Hogs the past two seasons, and payback for them and their new head coach would probably be very tasty.

Random Stuff

• Who are the highest- and lowest-paid assistants in the Big 12? The Daily Oklahoman has the answers:

A quick peek tells you that Gene Chizik's staff isn't quite working with what everyone else has -- seeing as five of the 10 lowest-paid assistants work for Iowa State.

• UNC players sound very excited about playing for Butch Davis, writes Matt Winkeljohn:

"Coach [John] Bunting was a great guy, but [the university] hiring Coach Davis was the best thing that could have happened to me because I switched from receiver to safety," said sophomore safety Deunta Williams, the ACC's defensive rookie of the year last season. "And I think people do respect us more. I think that's why we're getting some semi-attention. I feel like that's respect."

• Things are getting pretty messy around Iowa football, according to this Press-Citizen story.

• Miami's Jason Fox said that last year it felt like some of the players were hurting the team more than helping it, reports Shandel Richardson. "Some of the players we had to get rid of were kind of cancerous to the team," Fox said. "They really brought us down and didn't care about football. They're gone now, which is really good for us. We can get back to focusing on football. Sometimes, the coaches were more worried about punishing the guys that weren't doing it than focusing on football."

• I stumbled onto this story over the weekend from Mike DeArmond about Brian Coulter, Mizzou's new DE, a confident 6-foot-4, 260-pound JC transfer.

Coulter actually had signed with FSU last year but didn't qualify. I saw a lot of film on him while working on "Meat Market." Ed Orgeron really liked Coulter's speed coming off the edge and thought he had potential. Coulter didn't always play hard, and he was a long shot academically, but if he can keep his grades up, I bet he makes an impact at Mizzou. He'll get in the backfield a lot.

• My town apparently now is home to a ton of pro athletes. Can't say I've seen many of them, although I see Jeff Garcia at the gym occasionally. I know I've never seen Shaq riding his bike along the path I go on everyday. I suspect he'd be pretty easy to spot.

Most intriguing position battles

Monday, July 28, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

With fall camp about to kick off, this week's Top 10 list is Most Intriguing Position Battles. I tried to avoid doing just QB races, although that's often what gets the most attention -- especially since at other positions teams often can rotate in defensive tackles or wide receivers.

1. LSU QB: Who gets to lead the defending national champs? All we know at this point is that it won't be enigmatic Ryan Perrilloux, now at Jacksonville State. Les Miles has three options: redshirt freshman Jarrett Lee, who Tiger insiders say is smart and tough and reminds them of Matt Flynn; Harvard transfer Andrew Hatch, a good runner with questionable arm strength; and incoming freshman Jordan Jefferson, a guy with a powerful arm and some good speed, but no college experience. My hunch is Lee gets the first crack while the Tigers rely on another rugged defense. His edge in arm strength over Hatch should be the difference, especially since LSU will still look to take advantage of all the Tigers outside speed in the passing game.

2. Florida safety: The Gators have one spot shored up with Major Wright, a budding star coming off a terrific debut season. But next to him is a big question mark for a secondary that was awful last season. Due to some attrition, Urban Meyer doesn't actually have that many options to try out here. Jamar Hornsby was booted off the team for his well-publicized, off-field problems. Prize recruit Dee Finley didn't qualify and is headed to prep school, and then a few weeks ago the UF coach announced that junior Dorian Munroe and walk-on senior John Curtis both suffered ACL injuries. Making matters worse, Jerimy Finch, once a hot-shot recruit, transferred to Indiana. The good news: touted true freshman Will Hill, a rangy New Jersey product, might be the answer, assuming he can grasp enough of the defense so UF can cut down on the big plays it surrendered in 2007. Hill's toughest competition probably comes from converted corner Ahmad Black or from a WR Meyer shifts over to defense.

3. USC WR: Sure, the Trojans have another logjam at tailback with Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson and Co., but a huge key for USC this season will be for a go-to, play-making wideout to emerge. Last season, the Trojans' offense didn't have that dimension and the closest thing to a go-to guy was TE Fred Davis. Big Patrick Turner has been OK, but hasn't flourished the way many had expected. Vidal Hazelton looks the part and has shown no trouble in making the acrobatic catch yet has struggled with consistency. Soph Ronald Johnson has displayed the skills to be a deep threat, but none has stressed defenses the way Trojan all-Americans Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith did. Two more names to keep an eye on: Arkansas' super-smooth transfer Damian Williams and incoming freshman Brice Butler, who has generated some buzz amongst his teammates in summer workouts.

4. Michigan QB: The one certainty here is Rich Rodriguez is going to miss Pat White a lot. Rodriguez has thrived in the last decade with speedy, tough QBs and right now his most viable option is Steven Threet, a 6-5, 230-pound Ga. Tech transfer who throws a good deep ball, but is just an "OK" runner. Nick Sheridan, who came to Ann Arbor as a walk-on, got a lot of reps in the spring and does a nice job of throwing on the run, but looks like the back-up. Michigan does have two more multi-dimensional options in freshman Justin Feagin and tailback Carlos Brown, who has played some QB in high school and probably would've gotten some reps in the spring if not for an injury. Both can add some sizzle to this offense, although at issue will be how quickly Feagin can digest the system. Don't buy that Rodriguez is dead set against having less of a running threat as his QB. When asked this spring who the ideal QB for his system would be, he said Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. "Those guys are smart, tough and accurate," Rodriguez said. "We could run our system with those guys. We have a lot of flexibility in our offense. In the first 10 years of our offense, it was more of a passer."

5. Cal QB: Nate Longshore has been the QB in Berkeley it seems forever. We all know that he has a strong arm and a good grasp of the offense to go with his very limited mobility, but his confidence supposedly was really shaken. Can he ever get that back? Kevin Riley brings more speed and more of a spark to the offense and that showed in the Bears bowl win last winter. The issue around Riley is how consistent can he be?

6. Virginia Tech RB: The Hokies' QB battle will get plenty of attention, but at least Frank Beamer has two experienced options there. VT will go into the 2008 season as one of the ACC's best top 10 hopes, but having to go with some very raw tailbacks in what usually is a two-back attack. Making matters worse is that Kenny Lewis Jr. and Jahre Cheeseman both are coming off injuries. Josh Oglesby and Darren Evans both will get long looks in August as will touted incoming freshman Ryan Williams.

7. South Carolina QB: Steve Spurrier's program has not been able to sustain much of a run at the SEC's big boys since his return to the college game. He's also yet to develop another record-setting passer. We know his D should be pretty salty this year, but the Ol' Ball Coach is still waiting for a QB to take over. Chris Smelley has some experience but hasn't shined. For now Spurrier sounds like it's Tommy Beecher's job to lose because he was more consistent in the spring. Talented but troubled Stephen Garcia is the wild card in this mix. His arm and his athleticism make him an intriguing option, but his decision-making, on and off the field, is the big question mark.

8. Texas Tech DE: The Red Raiders have emerged as one of the trendy summer picks to make a national title run, although lots of folks still wonder whether Tech's D has improved enough for this program to be taken seriously. A big key will be up front where it finally seems like the Red Raiders have the horses. Brandon Williams was second team all-Big 12 and really came on after Ruffin McNeill took over the defense. Williams and senior Jake Ratliff will get pressed for reps by JC transfers McKinner Dixon and Brandon Sesay, a sculpted 6-6 260-pound edge rusher who arrived in Lubbock this summer with a huge reputation.

9. Rutgers RB: As much attention as Ray Rice received over the past year, the Rutgers tailback was still probably underrated in all he meant to this program. Rice carried this offense, which leaned on him mightily. Greg Schiano says he isn't afraid to rely on four or five running backs to replace Rice, and he might have to. Speedy Mason Robinson and slick Kordell Young figure to get the longest looks, but both will have to prove their toughness and consistency if they are to become true feature backs. Powerful Jourdan Brooks, much more of an inside threat, could be a good complement to that tandem.

10. UCLA OL: On paper, the O-line looks like UCLA's biggest worry. Only one lineman (LT Micah Key) returns from the same position he played in 2007. That is scary if you're Rick Neuheisel or whoever is the Bruins starting QB. Since the start of spring several projected starters have fallen off the depth chart. Some transferred. Some gave up football due to injury. Just a few weeks ago, projected starting tackle Sean Sheller was lost for the season after an ATV accident. Neuheisel's touting a few athletic projects: converted DL Darius Savage, a big, nimble guy who has shifted to guard; and RT Nate Chandler, an agile former tight end who outgrew the position. Another hope is that JC lineman Donovan Edwards does well in his summer sessions to get admitted to UCLA so he can also compete for a starting job and provide some much needed beef inside. How well this group does could be the difference to whether the Bruins win three games or whether they go bowling in 2008.

Random Stuff

• I watched on Sunday the "Outside the Lines" segment on Penn State's off-field troubles. I can't say I was shocked since stories about police blotter business around the program have been popping up a lot for the past year. One of the points raised in the piece revolved around whether Joe Paterno has compromised some of his principles when it comes to rolling the dice on borderline characters in hopes of getting his program back in the top 10. (Paterno scoffed at that notion as he did with pretty much everything else.) I don't buy that. I'm pretty sure Paterno's staff has taken a chance on a few prospects they probably weren't 100 percent on. The reason: everyone else these days who is geared towards being a top-20 program does that, too.

• Nick Saban's draft acumen hasn't drawn raves for his work with the Dolphins, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

• Apparently Chicago Cubs fans aren't big supporters of Charlie Weis, according to Mike Rothstein. The ND coach was greeted with the kind of reaction you'd think he'd get in Ann Arbor.

• A personal aside: Southern Miss got some really bad news recently when tight ends coach Barney Farrar learned he has throat cancer. I was really saddened to hear this. As some of you might recall, Farrar was one of the characters in "Meat Market." I got to know him pretty well during my time in Oxford. (He had spent the 2006 season with Ole Miss as an assistant AD working in football operations.) We used to drive from Oxford to Tupelo in his pick-up truck Friday nights where the team stayed the night before home games. He is one of the sweetest, most likeable people in the entire business and a true original. I can't say I've ever met another person like Barney Farrar. He's one guy stories never do justice to.

For the hour-ride those nights, the 48-year-old coach would tell some of the amazing stories -- many from his near three decades in coaching, most of it at Clemson and Rice. A few others were from his days growing up in Mississippi. He had stories about everything: bar fighting in his days as an undersized defensive back at Delta State; about being raised by two deaf parents and about marriage. Oh my God did he have stories about marriage. One night he talked about losing a close game while at Rice where one of his defensive backs was beaten on the game-winning touchdown pass. Barney said the player later apologized to him. He told me he then apologized to the player for putting him in the position where he got beat scheme-wise. He said the heartache over that coaching maneuver kept him up many nights after that. But it was more from the guilt of having done that to the player and what the young man was feeling rather than losing a game that troubled him so. I think that pain was still with him to some degree the night he told the story.

After being around Barney a while, I came to think there is not a guy walking the sidelines who loved being a coach more than him. I could tell how much he missed being on the sidelines, coaching and teaching players.

Most mornings that year I'd meet coach Ed Orgeron in the football offices by 5:30 a.m. By the time we both arrived, Barney had probably been there an hour, already having the coffee made and the recruiting tapes lined up for him to watch. It wasn't uncommon for someone to say they saw Barney in the weight room working out, on the bench press pushing out reps all the while with his cell phone wedged between his ear and his shoulder trying to carry on a conversation.

Last season, he left for Iowa State to be the football operations man for Gene Chizik, an old buddy from their Clemson days. After the season, Farrar came home to Mississippi. New USM coach Larry Fedora hired him to be his tight ends coach and Barney was back on the field coaching. He was able to go back to recruiting and back to teaching again. He was so fired up. Then, he got the bad news. A biopsy revealed a growth in his throat was cancerous. I talked to him on Friday and his spirits sounded good. He said the one good thing about this battle is you end up hearing from a lot of folks you haven't had a chance to talk to in a long time. USM is going to have former NFL tight end Kris Mangum help out while Barney goes through chemo and continues fight. "I know this is going to make me a better man, and it's going to make me a better coach," he said.