Valdosta wins Titletown USA !

featherz17

ESPN names Valdosta TitleTown USA

By Todd Holcomb | Monday, July 28, 2008, 11:36 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

For years, it’s been called Winnersville. Now, the south Georgia town of Valdosta has another name: TitleTown USA, thanks to ESPN.

The cable sports network is coming to Valdosta today to declare Valdosta the winner of its summer promotion that earlier this month featured the city as one of its 20 finalists for the national award.

Other cities in the running ranged from small town to metropolitan city. It included Boston; Green Bay, Wisc.; and Williamsport, Pa. The only other city driven by its high school sports tradition was Massillon, Ohio.

The 20 finalists were visited by film crews and highlighted on ESPN, and the winner was determined by online voting July 23-27.

The trophy ceremony will be filmed at Valdosta High School’s Bazemore-Hyder Stadium, where fans and citizens are encouraged to arrive by 2 p.m. Valdosta will be announced the winner on Monday’s 6 p.m. “SportsCenter.”

According to the Valdosta Daily Times, Valdosta High School has won 116 region and state championships, a large chunk of them in football. The Wildcats football team is the nation’s all-time winningest program and has 23 state championships.

Lowndes High, the 2007 Class AAAAA football champion, has 94 titles, and Valwood, a private school, has 55. Valdosta State University has won another 40 titles.

Kick off the debate: Do you agree with ESPN that Valdosta is sports TitleTown USA? Tell us why or why not.

Raiders won all their Super Bowls in Oakland and the Rams never won anything in LA either.

Just the Lakers and Dodgers

I wasn't even considering the Raiders or Rams...

But don't forget about USC's football championships, UCLA's basketball championships, and if they wanna consider high school in it I'm sure there have been tons of high schools in LA who have won state titles...

I wasn't even considering the Raiders or Rams...

But don't forget about USC's football championships, UCLA's basketball championships, and if they wanna consider high school in it I'm sure there have been tons of high schools in LA who have won state titles...

I'm sure they have won a lot, but Valdosta has like 449 total. That's insane.

They use to call it Winnersville USA.

Really? I remember in back in high school just dreaming about playing in a school/venue that friggin' huge.

Our team was 4A at the time. I had to play both ways, actually three ways. Offense, defense and ST. When we heard that teams like Valdosta had so many guys that they could play separate offense and defense, we couldn't believe our ears.

Because Gainsville didn't win? :D :D :P :P

What the **** has Gainesville ever done to deserve "Titletown, U.S.A."? No, it's just another stupid gimmick program that ESPN created for God knows what reason. They have plenty of viewers, they don't have to do crap like this to try to boost their ratings.

There was a thread about a week ago where everyone was saying how stupid this was, but I guess it's cool now since Valdosta won.

Oh but that's right, that was in the 'Gainesville, FL Titletown USA on ESPN' thread. It makes sense now :rolleyes: