Dark Knight reaches $300 Million in only 10 Days

Headshot

All of my Dark Knight slobbering aside, I just want to see Titanic fall now. There is no reason for a movie that sucked as bad as Titanic did to hold the records it does.

----------------------

The Dark Knight continued its box office onslaught this week, shattering new records and winding up solidly at number one for the second weekend in a row.

The previous record for fastest film to $300 million was owned by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. It hit the mark in just 16 days. It stole the record from Revenge of the Sith which managed the fest in 17 days. Before that was Shrek 2 at 18 days. Seeing the pattern? The Dark Knight did it in just 10 days, beating the record by nearly a week. Don’t look for that one to be broken anytime soon.

Of course, by default, that gives Batman the top all time 10-day total. Dead Man’s Chest had the previous spot with $258 million. The Dark Knight is sitting pretty at $314 million. Again, a total that likely won’t be touched for a long time to come.

At $314 million Batman has also now officially made Iron Man and Indiana Jones’ struggle for number one cash maker of the year a pointless battle. They’ll be left to bicker over number two as The Dark Knight takes a crack at topping Star Wars for the number two all-time domestic record (there’s no chance of becoming number one...Titanic holds that one solidly at $600 million).

Somewhere in the background behind all the Batman furor two new movies slipped onto the scene. Step Brothers came in a distant second with $30 million. X-Files: I Want To Believe hit fourth place with just $10 million. That may not be much cash, but when your movie features Billy Connolly as a psychic instead of a massive alien invasion, you can make the movie for a whole lot cheaper. With a $30 million budget it’s an easy hit to make a little cash while staving off the few remaining X-Files fans a little while longer.

Worldwide is actually that much harder than domestic. It made $1.834 billion overall while nothing else has gone over $1.129 billion. It's not getting domestic as Titanic is at $600 million and The Dark Knight died a bit this weekend. #2 overall (currently held by Star Wars with a non-adjusted total of $461 million) looks certain and $500 million is a solid possibility.

$1.8B. Ridonculous.

Titanic had two distinct advantages going for it.

1) It was the ultimate chick flick, and women wanted to see it again and again.

2) Knowing that they had finally found the perfect pantie dropper, men obliged and took women to see it again and again.

Titanic had two distinct advantages going for it.

1) It was the ultimate chick flick, and women wanted to see it again and again.

2) Knowing that they had finally found the perfect pantie dropper, men obliged and took women to see it again and again.

I wish I had been of adequate pantie-dropping age when that movie came out. I think I was like 12, what a wasted opportunity.

honestly speaking, is anyone really suprised. there was no doubt in my mind that this would beat spiderman. but as far as beating titanic..not gonna happen. they're right, that was the ultimate chick flick. I was a young kid too and my mom saw that thing 4 times...I only went twice and couldn't take it anymore after that....

I understand completely. Youre obsessed with overrated overhyped movies that fail to live up to the hype. Its ok GI Joe is coming.

300 million dollars worth of people disagree with you. I'd say it very much lived up to the hype. Maybe not for you, but I'd say for about 90% of the people that saw it iw went FAR BEYOND the hype.

Sucks that you couldn't enjoy it, I'm sorry.

And I don't know anyone who is overhyping GI Joe :lol: What a suck *** movie that'll be.