ESPN - Smith has Falcons working at right tempo

atripes

Smith has Falcons working at right tempo

July 27, 2008 8:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

AP Photo/John Bazemore

Coach Mike Smith is balancing physical work and teaching at Falcons training camp.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Matt Ryan threw the ball well at times, Roddy White made some nice catches and Michael Turner looks like he's ready to be a feature back.

But want to know the most impressive thing I saw in Atlanta's camp the last two days?

It's the way coach Mike Smith is running practice. It's nothing brand new or shocking. What it is is a nice collection of ideas from every head coach Smith, who never has been a head coach before, has worked with in his 26 years of coaching. Smith has taken the best of the bunch and combined them into the most balanced training camp schedule I've seen in recent years.

He doesn't have his players out there banging too hard and running the risk of injury. And he's not going too lightly on a group that certainly needs plenty of work. Smith is playing it straight down the middle.

He's using team periods where the players go very hard and sandwiching them around individual drills and walkthrough times when the coaches are doing most of the work. That's a smart move because Smith isn't going to wear his team out in training camp and he's also getting a lot of teaching done. There's enough physical activity to get the team ready for the season, but there's not too much.

More than anything, Smith knows he has a young roster that's not spilling over with talent, and he knows he has to have the roster healthy as possible for opening day.

Monday, the tour of the NFC South continues. I'll be at Tampa Bay's camp at Disney's Wide World of Sports, watching out for Brett Favre.

It's great to have a true COACH. Someone who respects his players without trying to be their best friends and wants to get the absolute best out of every one of them.

It is a great balance between the last two head coaches we had in here as well and I think he will have these players willing to "run through a brick wall" for him. I can't wait to see them play.

I think that this is an aspect that we have all expected from PCs from Coach Smith and staff. A lot of teaching, and just enough physicallity to prepare the team for the season's grind, as opposed to wearing them out.

The players are excited and confident, and I believe that spills over to the fans...

Just as the desentment of last season spilled over to fans...

Let's go Falcons! B)

This morning, near the end of practice, they broke the huddle with 10 players. I heard Smith scream "we can't go with just 10 guys...LET'S GO!!"

And I was all the way at the other end of the field.

The man is in control. I like it! :D

thats my point about these foulcons, 10 players, someone is always missing their role. as i said the foulcons find ways to lose

Smith and the Falcons are on coarse for a great year.

that's a good thing to here.

I think there going to be a good team.

If they will just except the coach's instructions, and not just stair at him.

I don't think I can bare another season like last year.

:P

I watched the vid of him running practice and liked what I saw. Lets hope this translates into many years of us winning. All the coaches over the years we've got to get one right sooner or later, it's the law of averages.

I love every thing about this guy so far. I think he will win a lot of the media over once they get to know him and we get a couple of wins on the board.

i love to see a coach coaching... 3 or for years of college doesnt teach you everything you need to know for the rest of your football career... you should never stop learning.. even the 10 year vets need to learn.. Every new coach/assistant coach has that little extra knowledge..

If we can't be gifted.. lets be smart

It's great to have a true COACH. Someone who respects his players without trying to be their best friends and wants to get the absolute best out of every one of them.

It is a great balance between the last two head coaches we had in here as well and I think he will have these players willing to "run through a brick wall" for him. I can't wait to see them play.

By last 2 coaches, you mean Mora and Reeves right? The last guy was no coach. He was trying to find a way to weasel out the day Vick plead guilty.

Sweet! The first surprise to the media comes early. I hope we keep force feeding surprises until the end of the season.

Not sweet!!! :angry: Don't let the media start trying to report something positive now. It ruins the us against the world pep talk I designed for Coach Smith. Plus, we don't need any bandwagoneers here in the ATL. Tell us we suck so we can prove you wrong.