Horn still hopeful Falcons will trade him

ugadawg

Veteran wideout says he will compete for job -- if he's here

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/28/08

Flowery Branch — Veteran wide receiver Joe Horn, back from a months-long, self-imposed exile, spent time after practice Sunday running routes and catching balls — something he didn't do during the actual morning session of training camp.

Horn mostly watched practice because he's not fully ready to participate.

CURTIS COMPTON/ccompton@ajc.com

(ENLARGE)

Wide receiver Joe Horn, who has asked to be traded, said after practice Sunday: 'I've got to work my way back up -- if I'm here.'

Practice schedule • Map

Photos: Saturday • Sunday

RELATED STORIES

Falcons cornerback Hutchins sidelined by injured foot

Brooking thrilled to return to weakside spot

• More Falcons

"When I left, I didn't study the playbook," Horn said. "My emotions let my study habits with the playbook leave. I stayed in shape, but I didn't study my playbook."

Horn's distanced himself from all things Falcons the past two months because he wants to be traded. The 13-year veteran asked out early this summer after a mandatory mini-camp at which he said he felt he was being put to pasture in favor of younger players.

Horn skipped all voluntary team functions, including six weeks of offseason team activities [OTAs], which are basically non-contact practices.

Coach Mike Smith said Horn, who signed a four-year, $14.5-million, free-agent contract in 2007 after spending most of his career with New Orleans, is expected to compete for playing time.

"There is a negotiating season, a pay season and a play season," Smith said. "It is play season and Joe is a football player. He is out there to compete and win a position on this football team."

Horn has put himself in a tough position to do that. He not only neglected his playbook, but he did not catch any balls from the team's quarterbacks or get overly familiarized with the new front office and coaching regime.

"After 12 years in this league, I know getting acclimated with your quarterback and getting your timing is necessary," said Horn, who caught 27 passes for 243 yards and one touchdown last season. "I didn't come to the offseason program. I didn't come to OTAs and I understand there's a thing called order. You have to come in as the eighth receiver. I understand that. I've got to work my way back up — if I'm here."

Horn, who remains hopeful that he will get traded even though interest has been minimal, continued: "I am here right now and when [wide receivers] coach [Terry] Robiskie and [offensive coordinator Mike] Mularkey feel it's time for me to come up in the offense and start getting reps and making plays, I'll do that."

The ability to trade Horn and the decision to retain him is complicated by his guaranteed, 2008 salary of $2.5 million salary. Potential suitors might not want to pay Horn that much and give Atlanta compensation in a trade. Horn's agent said Horn would restructure his contract to facilitate a trade.

The Falcons, meanwhile, would have to pay Horn even if they wanted to cut him.

Atlanta opened training camp with Roddy White and second-year man Laurent Robinson as the top two wide receivers with rookie Harry Douglas and veteran Michael Jenkins rounding out the top four spots. Brian Finneran, Adam Jennings, Eric Weems, Chandler Williams and Horn are competing for the remaining roster spot(s).

Most of those receivers, other than Horn, have spent the summer learning the system and the quarterbacks and have gotten off to good starts since Atlanta opened camp Saturday morning. Horn said he's happy for his teammates and that even though he wants out, he won't be a distraction.

"I'm good with them all," Horn said. "It's never going to be a locker-room issue. I respect all my coaches. I respect Coach Smith and everybody else. I'm going to come out here and be a professional. If they ask me to go, I'm going to go. Until I hear otherwise, been doing, working my [behind] off and catching balls."

i say we need to trade the guy for whatever we can get. not studying the playbook is disrespectful. granted he didnt feel needed or wanted here or whatever, but we are/were still paying him and he is still an atlanta falcon. strap it up, get in the books and get ready to play. him not studying the playbooks is like us saying "oh joe, we're upset that you cant beat out the competition at wr on this team so we just dont feel like paying you your bonus".

study the book, get ready for the season joe, whether you're playing with us or not. as of now we are still paying you, if im not mistaken.

i say we need to trade the guy for whatever we can get. not studying the playbook is disrespectful. granted he didnt feel needed or wanted here or whatever, but we are/were still paying him and he is still an atlanta falcon. strap it up, get in the books and get ready to play. him not studying the playbooks is like us saying "oh joe, we're upset that you cant beat out the competition at wr on this team so we just dont feel like paying you your bonus".

study the book, get ready for the season joe, whether you're playing with us or not. as of now we are still paying you, if im not mistaken.

Wow! Talk about a red flag. A disgruntled player with a mere $14.5 million dollar contract, who doesn't even study the playbook. I don't forsee ANY TEAM wanting a guy paid that much who idoesn't apply himself at all.

Joe never did anyything yet for the 14.5 mill, what a sorry work ethic.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...eiver_horn.html

Horn said he's happy for his teammates and that even though he wants out, he won't be a distraction.

two days of training camp and Horn has given 2 interviews. and how is he planning on not being a distraction for this team. I do not know of a team that would want his salary, age, and attitude, but I hope we can find one since you guys are correct not learning his play book is disrespectful. You owe it to yourself and at least your teammates that are counting on every player on the team to know there part which he does not.

The Falcons, meanwhile, would have to pay Horn even if they wanted to cut him.

Another stupid McKAy contract. How in the world do you come up with a deal like that?..

I know, right? McKay loves to overpay. It seems as though he thinks that will make players exceed what they can do physically.

And since he's not studied his playbook, he can't very well be a 'mentor' or whatever he was to the WR's last year. Useless. I think he's trying to sabotage for benefit of the Saints. :ph34r:

I know, right? McKay loves to overpay. It seems as though he thinks that will make players exceed what they can do physically.

And since he's not studied his playbook, he can't very well be a 'mentor' or whatever he was to the WR's last year. Useless. I think he's trying to sabotage for benefit of the Saints. :ph34r:

I still think the mentor value has still be over rated. My mind has went black but our OC from last year did have a good track record with WR's like those unknowns in cinncy. :rolleyes: JMO

I really hope that Finneran beats Horn out for a WR position. Joe Horn was a big baby in a Saints uni and he's a bigger cry baby in a Falcon's uni. Go Home Horn. Who needs you?

I have been hoping for Finneran to make it completely back from his injuries, but I haven't heard his name metioned yet. Hope he is showing signs. I loved him when he was healthy...always open.

I have been hoping for Finneran to make it completely back from his injuries, but I haven't heard his name metioned yet. Hope he is showing signs. I loved him when he was healthy...always open.

Man, it would be great to have him back healthy and in good form.

Finn could make the fifth WR position. We need a ST player who can come in on offense and let's face it, Finn has made his living doing just that. I'm rooting for him to make the team.

Finn could make the fifth WR position. We need a ST player who can come in on offense and let's face it, Finn has made his living doing just that. I'm rooting for him to make the team.

He'd also be nice paired with Jenkins on 3rd downs and in the red zone. The size of those two would create lots of mismatches.

Jacksonville has had a run of injuries at WR. Williams and Porter are both out for several weeks if not more and their TC bodies have had injuries as well. Might be able to get a late second day pick to move Horn to Jag's.

I think another team having injury issues is the only way Horn gets traded.