Hawks Considering Two Sign-And-Trade Deals For Smith?

tdot falcon

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are considering regarding Josh Smith.

One is from a Western Conference and the other from the Eastern with both teams apparently being amongst the NBA's powers.

The “proverbial” ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks’ court regarding both opportunities.

Here I found the full story:

Switching lanes

By Sekou K Smith | Saturday, July 26, 2008, 10:11 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

THE BASEMENT - This time a month ago I was busy calculating just how long it might take for the Hawks to wrap up negotiations with both Josh Smith and Josh Childress before putting the finishing touches on the roster in time for training camp.

Little did I know that I’d be sitting here this morning trying to wrap my dome around the fact that there’s a good chance neither Smith nor Childress would be in a Hawks uniform this season.

Childress, of course, is already gone.

Smith, on the other hand, is still in the crosshairs. But it’s not looking good for the Hawks on that front.

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville.

The “proverbial” ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks’ court regarding both opportunities, and we should presume many more. Because if they are resigned to the fact that they don’t intend to pay Smith a salary commensurate with what he feels he’s worth, then there only recourse is to sign-and-trade him.

The leverage we all assumed the Hawks had with their own restricted free agents went up in smoke last week when Childress bounced.

Anyone that doesn’t think Smith will wait this thing out as long as the Hawks is living in a dream world. If you don’t think he’ll sign a qualifying offer, play out his season and walk next summer as an unrestricted free agent you’re crazy.

If the Hawks want to get anything in return (and keep in mind they get absolutely nothing if he plays out the year and walks, NOTHING), they have to act now.

The tricky thing about sign-and-trades is that all sides not only have to agree on the deal but all three sides want to walk away from the deal the winner (whether it’s acknowledged by others or not).

With one loss already on the books this summer, the Hawks simply cannot afford another.

AFTER THE FACT: If you believe what you read, half the NBA considered going to Europe before Childress decided to take the groundbreaking leap.

I don’t believe. I think it’s extremely convenient (and totally disingenuous), mostly for these agents involved, that they can lay claim to being pursued by Olympiakos or any of these other European teams after the fact.

Whether you love or hate the decision, Childress and his camp have to be given credit for their vision. So for everyone else to claim to have spurned the same opportunities is just a bit sketchy to me.

ON THE VERGE: There hasn’t been a whole lot of chatter about Randolph Morris since he made an appearance at the Hawks’ mini-camp at Philips Arena.

But several of my spies contend that he’s set to join the Hawks’ roster for this upcoming season (on a two-year, minimum deal that would allow the Hawks to bolster their frontcourt rotation significantly).

This would also be a splendid opportunity for Morris to dig in and make his status in the NBA permanent (not necessarily with the Hawks but just in the general sense) by proving that he’s a legitimate big man.

And the opportunity to play behind Al Horford and perhaps Zaza Pachulia should provide ample opportunity for Morris to make his case.

MO, MO, MO: I do like the acquisition of Mo Evans, though not necessarily as a replacement for Childress.

How smooth would it have been to add him to the mix along with the Hawks’ top eight rotation (from the playoff series against Boston)?

The role Evans can play for this team has nothing to do with offense and so much more to do with what he can do defensively.

The Hawks have needed a defensive stopper (if you will) to help alleviate that pressure on Joe Johnson. Evans could be the off-the-bench stopper the Hawks haven’t had the past few years, a guy that comes in alongside Johnson on the defensive end and a guy who can also stroke the ball from deep to keep team’s off balance on the other end of the floor.

Do they really want fans, revenue, fiscal success, etc? This ownership group is beyond pathetic. If we don't get a youngish allstar caliber player back in return for him, or a bunch of high unprotected 1sts and a quality starter....I'm done with them. And I think most of the rest of the fanbase feels the same way. If we lose Smith for peanuts, JJ WILL leave after next year, and I doubt Horford will want to stick around as well....he's all about championships, and without Smith and JJ, there's zero chance of that. Josh Howard, Dampier, and two first rounders for Smith and Marvin, or Amir Johnson, Maxiell, and two firsts for Smith and junk. The only one I can think of that I really wouldn't mind would be a trade that nets us Biedrens. Smith and Marvin for Biedrens and Azibuke?

Do they really want fans, revenue, fiscal success, etc? This ownership group is beyond pathetic. If we don't get a youngish allstar caliber player back in return for him, or a bunch of high unprotected 1sts and a quality starter....I'm done with them. And I think most of the rest of the fanbase feels the same way. If we lose Smith for peanuts, JJ WILL leave after next year, and I doubt Horford will want to stick around as well....he's all about championships, and without Smith and JJ, there's zero chance of that. Josh Howard, Dampier, and two first rounders for Smith and Marvin, or Amir Johnson, Maxiell, and two firsts for Smith and junk. The only one I can think of that I really wouldn't mind would be a trade that nets us Biedrens. Smith and Marvin for Biedrens and Azibuke?

not a chance. U don't get anything good with sign and trades especially seeing how Smith is a BYC player.

Agreed Mr. Pickle. Losing Childress was stupidity at its finest but losing Smith as well without getting a great return would be the blow the Hawks could not recover from. It's a shame because it looked like the Hawks were going to be a playoff team for a long time coming and now they have slid back to being sub par again.

I wish I knew more specifics about these teams and which players are being thrown around...

I hope the Western Conference team is the Clippers and they are dangling Kaman. It'd be tough to match the salaries, but definitely possible.

Kaman would push us to #4 or #5 in the East, IMO.

I want smith here not somebody else. i like the Evans pick up, but we need to keep Smith with us. Smith gets more consistent every year, and once he is consitent he will be better than joe johnson probably.

I agree with that. :lol: :lol: Smith helped us get our 1st playoff win.

I wish I knew more specifics about these teams and which players are being thrown around...

I hope the Western Conference team is the Clippers and they are dangling Kaman. It'd be tough to match the salaries, but definitely possible.

Kaman would push us to #4 or #5 in the East, IMO.

lol...you must not have been a fan of the nba for very long. the best thing the hawks will get out of a sign and trade is a 1st round pick and a good bench player. not a center that should've been an all-star this year...

lol...you must not have been a fan of the nba for very long. the best thing the hawks will get out of a sign and trade is a 1st round pick and a good bench player. not a center that should've been an all-star this year...

Huh? The two teams, which the Western conference team should be Dallas, and the Eastern conference team being the Pistons, are said to be offering Prince/Howard + a 1st. That's hardly a good bench player.

I doubt thats the case. howard maybe because of the comments he made and they wanna get rid of him, but prince....they would've made that deal already....

Why? We want to re-sign Smith for a reasonable price, and those are just two scenarios in case we do not. Sekou also wouldn't have mentioned them as "blockbuster sign-and-trade deals", if they were only going to be for 1sts and a bench player.

Who could the teams be? Detroit, Dallas?

Naturally, the Hawks will have to over-pay if they want to keep Smith around. That's just how it works for bad teams. And they just might need to if they wanna keep any kind of credibillity.

Who could the teams be? Detroit, Dallas?

Naturally, the Hawks will have to over-pay if they want to keep Smith around. That's just how it works for bad teams. And they just might need to if they wanna keep any kind of credibillity.

no they don't have to overpay. They just have to stop lowballing him. He's asking for 12 million,he's worth that and that's around what everybody is getting. Monta got a little over 11 million and they didn't even offer that to Smith. They haven't even offered him more than what Andris freakin Beidrens got and he's easily better. He may take 11 million,atleast OFFER IT AND STOP BEING CHEAP.

They pay an injury prone CAREER backup (Speedy) 25 for 4 years but can't pay Smoove what he's worth. They paid a guy who was like the 3rd-4th best on his team and a non All-Star at the time a MAX contract (Joe) but can't pay Smoove? They got Bibby the shooter/wannabe point guard with a 15 mill contract but can't pay Smoove?the hometown star that's a future All-Star. STUPID SPIRIT GROUP

if we end up losing both of our guys, i just might be done for a while....again...like i was after trading nique and squandering a #1 seed and like i was after we traded for j.r. freaking rider.

i wouldn't be as upset about childress if we had done a sign an trade and gotten something for him, but if we lose smith, a home town talent, i'll just be beside myself. honestly, had we kept both of them and just gotten a defensive big man, we had some real upside this season. add a shooter and we could've been very dangerous. now we lose our best bench player who could score without having plays called for him, and we're in danger of losing the key player in help defense and energy.

i'd hate abandoning the team i've cheered for since birth, but i'm tired of giving my money in support to such ineptitude in the front office.