Redman not giving in

Wild Bill

Link

Posted on Sun, Jul. 27, 2008

Redman not giving in

By Jay Adams - jadams@macon.com

John Bazemore

424-Falcons_Camp_Football_Shir-1.embedded.prod_affiliate.71.JPG

Atlanta Falcons[' Chris Redman drops back to pass during the first day of football training camp in Flowery Branch, Ga., Saturday, July 26, 2008. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

FLOWERY BRANCH --In 18 weeks last year, Chris Redman had gone from a no-name third-stringer who used to sell insurance to the starting quarterback of an NFL team.

If things stay the way they were during Saturday morning's opening practice of training camp, he won't be dropping back into obscurity any time soon.

Redman took all of the Atlanta Falcons' first-team snaps during the morning session and looked sharp in head coach Mike Smith's new offense. Last year's starter, Joey Harrington, took all the second-team snaps, and rookie Matt Ryan took the third-team snaps. Former Georgia quarterback D.J. Shockley saw limited action replacing Ryan with the third team.

Despite signing him to a $72 million deal a few months ago, the Falcons don't look to be in any hurry to move Ryan into the starting spot.

But competition exists, and Ryan could still win out. Smith likely won't name a starter at quarterback until closer to the start of the season, and that means the job is open for the taking.

But Redman made it clear Saturday that he's not willing to pick up a clipboard without a fight. The quarterback job looks like it's his to lose, and he's not afraid of competing to keep it.

"I'm so excited about it. I get a chance to go against the best college quarterback in the nation (from last year), just to kind of see where I'm at," Redman said. "I've been around a lot of great quarterbacks, and (Ryan) is another great quarterback. For me, it's a lot of fun to be around those guys."

RIGHT ON TIME

On Friday morning, Sam Baker and Curtis Lofton were the only two draft picks yet to sign with the team. By Friday night, the business was done and both had agreed to terms.

But the waiting was excruciating for the rookies.

Baker had already bought a house in the Atlanta area, so he didn't have far to travel once he got word from his agent that the deal was done.

"I've just been waiting, and they finally got it done," said Baker, the second of Atlanta's first-round picks. "It was a relief."

Lofton, the Falcons' second-round pick out of Oklahoma, was pessimistic leading up to Friday.

"My agent called me at 2 (a.m.) and said we finally got it done," said Lofton, who spent much of his first training camp practice leading the first and second teams at middle linebacker. "I didn't think we was going to get it done, and I was kind of disappointed. Then, they called me, and I was ready to go."

• WHO'S ON FIRST?

Baker and Lofton were the only two of three rookies to get snaps with the first team. Rookie wide receiver Harry Douglas lined up in the starting slot position whenever the Falcons ran a three-receiver set.

Second-year wide receiver Laurent Robinson was the No. 2 receiver over Michael Jenkins. The first team offensive line included Baker, Justin Blalock, Todd McClure, Harvey Dahl and Tyson Clabo.

Defensively, Brent Grimes started at cornerback opposite Chris Houston. Rookie Chevis Jackson and veteran Von Hutchins are expected to battle Grimes for the first-team spot. Hutchins was the first-team nickelback.

At linebacker, Keith Brooking rotated between middle and weakside linebacker. Former Georgia player Tony Thomas got reps with the first team at all three linebacker spots.

MAKING MOVES

The Falcons added more players to the training camp roster late Friday night, signing offensive lineman Michael Butterworth, linebacker Coy Wire and cornerback Blue Adams.

Butterworth originally signed with the Falcons in the spring as an undrafted free agent but was then waived by the team in June.

Wire is in his seventh year, spending the first six of his career with the Buffalo Bills. Wire fought for playing time on defense but was most valuable to the Bills on special teams. Last season, he was voted the Bills' special teams captain.

Adams played with Cincinnati last year and saw time in 13 games. He is in his fifth season.

THIS AND THAT

The Falcons placed defensive tackle Trey Lewis on the non-football injury list and offensive tackle Renardo Foster on the physically unable to perform list Friday night. ... Osaka, Japan native Noriaki Kinoshita is back on the roster again after being waived at the end of training camp last year. ... Wide receivers Brian Finneran and Adam Jennings made several great catches during team period and 7-on-7s. ... Safety Erik Coleman made the play of the morning when he made an acrobatic interception off Harrington.

As someone who has watched Redman since he was in high school, I'm glad that he has a chance to continue his NFL career. Now that he is apparently injury free, he should be able to resume the high level of play he was known for before the Baltimore debacle.

I think the time away from the game really rekindled his competitive fire.

This is going to be a fun team to watch.

who the fack is this tony thomas character

Dang that hurts. thats why i dont like outside experts. they are run by propaganda. also the fact that tony taylor gets reps with 1st team in all spots shows that he is better. lofton only played with 1st team, because taylor can play every LB position.

All this competition has gotten me very excited about the upcoming season. I hope Ryan gets some playing time during the year. The starting O-line doesn't look too bad either, and our CB depth is very deep (which is a good thing). I don't understand how these so called "experts" predict that we only win one game.

Dang that hurts. thats why i dont like outside experts. they are run by propaganda. also the fact that tony taylor gets reps with 1st team in all spots shows that he is better. lofton only played with 1st team, because taylor can play every LB position.

yea, i mean if you are going to cover a team, you should know the players names at least and know what youre talking about

Great job?What did he do?

His first time in he got a long first down for us (in one play) and when he was the only option left had great plays while our D left us down. Yeah we lost, but we did much better with him in it seemed. Either way, better than Joey.

Big Duke is very predictable.

If there is any positive talk about Redman, you can bet he'll be there to focus on the negative.

Redman is too old.

He's never made it through a season.

His stats suck. (I've seen the chart too many times)

Last year was a fluke since he had his college coach and college offense. (Petrino was OC for a single season at UL. Redman played in 3 different offenses during his college years)

His stats suck

His stats suck

and...

His stats suck.

I'm not sure what his problem with Redman is, but it's obvious he doesn't think he can get the job done.

Big Duke is very predictable.

If there is any positive talk about Redman, you can bet he'll be there to focus on the negative.

Redman is too old.

He's never made it through a season.

His stats suck. (I've seen the chart too many times)

Last year was a fluke since he had his college coach and college offense. (Petrino was OC for a single season at UL. Redman played in 3 different offenses during his college years)

His stats suck

His stats suck

and...

His stats suck.

I'm not sure what his problem with Redman is, but it's obvious he doesn't think he can get the job done.

I was commenting more on the word great.Anderson did a great job for a backup last year for cleveland right?Joey won 3 games as a backup.Redman beat the seahawks backups?I like redman,on the bench.If he came in against the rams you got a shot.If hes your starter for the season you are done.Injuries arent stats,if he does well I will be the first to ppoint it out.Have you ever heard of borrowed time?His history points to a immediate crash.

Well we all know Redman isn't gonna push Favre outta the HoF, but he did look a lot better than Harrington or Leftwich last year when he finally got a chance.

We also know that Ryan will be starting at some point this season. But we have a ton of questions to be answered about this team. We are all feeling nice and comfy now about the team right now before the war begins, but we don't have a clue what this team is really about till they play. I would rather have Redman thrown in against the lion's den than an untested rookie. It will probably take half a season for the coaching staff to work out the kinks in this brand new team with new schemes.

No need to throw in a rookie till we get things ironed out first.

BTW - just STOP with the nonsense that "Shockley isn't getting a chance"

Sheesh, if the guy has it they will keep him. If he doesn't have it, they won't keep him. You GA homers kill me with this "hidden agenda" and "conspiracy" stuff. Shockley has had plenty of chances to show what he can do. I HOPE HE MAKES IT, like I hope all my Falcons make it in the NFL. But the bottom line is - only the best get to play in the NFL. I hope Shockley can make it, but it's ridiculous to hear some people keep claiming "they won't give him a chance."

I was commenting more on the word great.Anderson did a great job for a backup last year for cleveland right?Joey won 3 games as a backup.Redman beat the seahawks backups?I like redman,on the bench.If he came in against the rams you got a shot.If hes your starter for the season you are done.Injuries arent stats,if he does well I will be the first to ppoint it out.Have you ever heard of borrowed time?His history points to a immediate crash.

I can respect that.

We disagree on Redman, but we can still be fans of the same team.

Thanks for clarifying.