So how did our franchise player do? (matty ICE)

the only two things that separate ryan and redman is redmans experience, and ryans ability to move around and find a man downfield. they both look very good as far as our starter and back up. who cares about #3, i dont like either current candidate and hope we find a developmental type after cuts. ryan looks good but he is learning, so i kinda think redman gives us the best chance of winning atleast in the first part of the season.

the only two things that separate ryan and redman is redmans experience, and ryans ability to mave around and find a man downfield. they both look very good as far as our starter and back up. who cares about #3, i dont like either current candidate and hope we find a developmental type after cuts. ryan looks good but he is learning, so i kinda think redman gives us the best chance of winning atleast in the first part of the season.

I am fine with redman starting the season, i think he is a very capable qb.....i think he is even underated.

that said come week 4 or 5 i wanna see Ryan in there. Unless of course Redman has us on a great streak or something like that

Um...basically, so far it looks like we spent the no.3 pick and 72 million dollars on a player who's not going to be alot better than the current qb we had on the cheap and without spending a draft pick. Ryan is going to be a solid qb....so is Redman. Hurray? Kinda depressing, if you ask me.

Um...basically, so far it looks like we spent the no.3 pick and 72 million dollars on a player who's not going to be alot better than the current qb we had on the cheap and without spending a draft pick. Ryan is going to be a solid qb....so is Redman. Hurray? Kinda depressing, if you ask me.

So far- exactly. Rookies take time to develop, especially a QB. You can't expect a rookie quarterback to be the clear starter on day one of training camp. Be patient.

What do you expect after one day of practice?

I am so sorry that you are depressed about Ryan being our 1st round pick and the future starter at QB. Of course, I guess you were upset that we spent our 2nd round pick on a guy named Favre a few years back(who was a bust in Atlanta). Good thing we got rid of that loser.

You guys just kill me with your immediate expectations of Ryan. Some of the best QBs in the history of the NFL started off their career in a very "horrid" manner. Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman and Eli Manning all had poor beginnings to later become Super Bowl QBs. And here is Matt Ryan who hasn't taken one snap in an NFL game and you are already saying that you are depressed about us drafting him.

Wow.... You certainly need to find a good psychiatrist to help you with your "special needs."

What do you expect after one day of practice?

For justification: I.E., Redman looking less than solid, thus showing a strong need to pick our qb of the future, and Matt Ryan to maybe not look as polished, but to demonstrate a significantly stronger arm, better touch, etc. Either Redman looking avg to bad, or Matt Ryan demonstrating much stronger physical tools would have made it a perfectly good pick in my mind. Apparently neither happened.

To be clear, I in no way expected him to be outstanding...but Redman's showing, and Ryan's weak deep ball, avg arm and athleticism....I just don't see how this pick helps us out this much, compared to other players at the position. I'm not a Ryan hater. I think he's going to be a good, solid starter. I just think it was silly to draft him when we already have a guy who's done far more to already show he's a solid starter, is much cheaper, and basically wasn't a choice between him and Glenn Dorsey. Get my point? I HOPE I am wrong, and that Ryan has the potential to be much, much better than Redman, a truly elite qb. It's just that nothing since he's gotten here shows that to be the case. I question his upside, and thus, his ability to be enough better than Redman to warrant passing on Dorsey or the passle of LOS players that we did to give him the largest rookie contract ever.

If we guessed wrong, then that sets the franchise back significantly...again. And I don't see how that couldn't be at least a little depressing if you really care about the team, and aren't 100 percent happy all the team regardless.

Wow. TWO decent QBs on the Atlanta roster. That's TERRIBLE! :lol:

I agree with some earlier posters. I'm OK with Redman starting. If he does so well that it keeps Matt holding a clipboard all season, I'm still OK. It looks like the Falcons are rebuilding the RIGHT way, i.e. building a good strong foundation for the future and not putting players in before they're ready. Of course, if Matt turns out to be the best QB (or Joey or DJ), then I'll be happy for him to start.

I am very pleased with the direction this team is headed. I can't say it enough.

To be clear, I in no way expected him to be outstanding...but Redman's showing, and Ryan's weak deep ball, avg arm and athleticism....I just don't see how this pick helps us out this much, compared to other players at the position. I'm not a Ryan hater. I think he's going to be a good, solid starter. I just think it was silly to draft him when we already have a guy who's done far more to already show he's a solid starter, is much cheaper, and basically wasn't a choice between him and Glenn Dorsey. Get my point? I HOPE I am wrong, and that Ryan has the potential to be much, much better than Redman, a truly elite qb. It's just that nothing since he's gotten here shows that to be the case. I question his upside, and thus, his ability to be enough better than Redman to warrant passing on Dorsey or the passle of LOS players that we did to give him the largest rookie contract ever.

If we guessed wrong, then that sets the franchise back significantly...again. And I don't see how that couldn't be at least a little depressing if you really care about the team, and aren't 100 percent happy all the team regardless.

Here is why I am NOT depressed.

Matt Ryan is a Rookie QB

Matt Ryan has plenty of intelligence to play on the NFL level

Matt Ryan can easily build strength to throw a better deep ball(check Tom Brady, Carson Palmer or Troy Aikman for this)

I am the type of person that sees one being Innocent until proven Guilty

Oh yes, we have only had ONE day of camp so far

Man, some of you guys are impatient.... Its amazing...

I am so sorry that you are depressed about Ryan being our 1st round pick and the future starter at QB. Of course, I guess you were upset that we spent our 2nd round pick on a guy named Favre a few years back(who was a bust in Atlanta). Good thing we got rid of that loser.

You guys just kill me with your immediate expectations of Ryan. Some of the best QBs in the history of the NFL started off their career in a very "horrid" manner. Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman and Eli Manning all had poor beginnings to later become Super Bowl QBs. And here is Matt Ryan who hasn't taken one snap in an NFL game and you are already saying that you are depressed about us drafting him.

Wow.... You certainly need to find a good psychiatrist to help you with your "special needs."

Well put. I get really tired of all the instant expectations for guys. If most of this board had their way Patrick Kerney would have been dumped half way through his second year instead of going on to be an All-Pro for us (I remember arguing with people on here back then that they have to give a guy some time!). Roddy White would have been dumped because it took him 3 years to "get it" at the NFL level.

Success isn't usually instant in the NFL, it takes time. There are very few exceptions.

Remember all the firestorm about Mario Williams being a wasted pick and that the Texans were stupid for passing on Bush after their 1st season? Yeah, who has the better end of the deal now? Bush is struggling and Williams is playing lights out.

Have some patience people.

I think you should change your perspective on this one. Instead of looking at it as Ryan appears to be equal to Redman (who we already had) so he's a wasted pick, I think you should look at it as we have a rookie QB who is ALREADY equal to a guy with 5 years (not counting the years he was out of the NFL) and 17 games of NFL experience. That sounds like a positive to me.

Ryan is a rookie and will get better as he adjusts to the NFL. The fact that he's already as good as a guy with as much experience as Redman actually makes me feel even more positive about him.

What if Matt turns into an average QB with a few bright spots and the Falcons make a few Playoffs during his career ?

Will that be enough ?

Didn't realize I just described Vick before the dogfighting situation reared its head.

I am fine with redman starting the season, i think he is a very capable qb.....i think he is even underated.

that said come week 4 or 5 i wanna see Ryan in there. Unless of course Redman has us on a great streak or something like that

Redman is definately underrated. He would've had 'Derek Anderson-like' numbers last year if it wasn't for the OL.

What if Matt turns into an average QB with a few bright spots and the Falcons make a few Playoffs during his career ?

Will that be enough ?

For being the 3rd overall pick, no of course that's not meeting expectations.. BUT you can't say that is going to be the case after ONE DAY of training camp.

The bottom line is no one knows what his career holds yet because he hasn't spent any time on the field under NFL level fire. To be complaining that he's not good enough or a wasted pick this early is just plain "knee jerk".

People need to be patient because it's GOING TO TAKE TIME to find out what we actually have in Ryan.

*** Payton Manning threw for only 56% and more INTs (28) than TDs (26) his first year while posting 3-13 record.

*** Eli Manning's first year he completed 48% of his passes and threw more INTs (9) than TDs (6). His first year starting he completed only 52% of his passes.

*** Troy Aikman completed 54% of his passes his first two years and posted 36 INTs to 20 TDs. The Cowboys went 8-24 in those two years.

The list of guys that took some times is a mile long... and so is the list of guys who just never developed. So again, bottom line is no one knows yet so we just have to wait and see.

Oh Lord....here we go....

tooofunny10168rz7.jpg

If he were already equal to Redman, that would be one thing...but he's not. Redman is clearly better at this point. Which is to be expected, certainly, with almost any qb. It would be the same with Manning, Russell, Quinn, etc. I'm just not seeing what Ryan has that's going to make him that much better than Redman? They both have good releases, I suppose Ryan is a little more mobile. Redman has the stronger arm and better touch, and both seem to have the intangibles and intelligence. What does Matt Ryan possess over Redman that's going to enable him to make more of a positive impact as a starter at qb for us over Redman, than Glen Dorsey would have had starting over Babs? That's my ultimate question, and while it's certainly too early to tell for sure, certain things just jump out at you about a qb, even during practice: athleticism, pinpoint accuracy and touch, and arm strength. From what has been said, Ryan overall isn't any better than Redman in those categories, maybe not even as good. The early signs just for him are not what I was hoping they would be. I am very pleased with everything else the franchise has done with the new regime, however. Don't think I'm hating on the falcons. I'm not.

Redman is 31,Ryan is in his first camp.Ryan is doing fine.I dont get the diaper attitude.

If he were already equal to Redman, that would be one thing...but he's not. Redman is clearly better at this point. Which is to be expected, certainly, with almost any qb. It would be the same with Manning, Russell, Quinn, etc. I'm just not seeing what Ryan has that's going to make him that much better than Redman? They both have good releases, I suppose Ryan is a little more mobile. Redman has the stronger arm and better touch, and both seem to have the intangibles and intelligence. What does Matt Ryan possess over Redman that's going to enable him to make more of a positive impact as a starter at qb for us over Redman, than Glen Dorsey would have had starting over Babs? That's my ultimate question, and while it's certainly too early to tell for sure, certain things just jump out at you about a qb, even during practice: athleticism, pinpoint accuracy and touch, and arm strength. From what has been said, Ryan overall isn't any better than Redman in those categories, maybe not even as good. The early signs just for him are not what I was hoping they would be. I am very pleased with everything else the franchise has done with the new regime, however. Don't think I'm hating on the falcons. I'm not.

Redman is old and can't last forever. Matt Ryan is a young QB that could conceivably be better than Redman by the time training camp ends. I don't see where the hard decision would be. There are so many teams in this league desperate for a good young QB. Sustained success in this league can not be had without a strong presence at the QB position (Unless you have a dominating defense, but even that doesn't guarantee anything). What's harder to find, a good young qb or a DT? Ryan is the correct pick and I am happy with the reports I'm hearing on his development.