Even PS3 Owners Rate Xbox Live Best

In a recent opinion poll, 74.7% of the PlayStation 3 owners surveyed considered Xbox Live to be the online service with the best feature set when compared to PlayStation Network and WiiConnect24. In addition, 71.4% of the people that actually own an Xbox 360 feel as though Xbox Live is worth the subscription fee.

Possibly even more intriguing is the fact that of the people that owned all three consoles, meaning they had the option of playing multiplatform games online for free, 63% still found Xbox Live to be worth the price. Another statistic that I found particularly interesting is that an in-game XMB is the feature most wanted on PSN, even more so than Home, Trophies, and further PSP integration.

The survey was conducted by Game Informer and printed in their August 2008 issue.

linky

Um... ok. If I paid for Xbox Live (which I did for 3 years when I had the original Xbox), I'd play every game I could on it to justify paying for online service.

I have a PS3 now and I can't complain about the online service at all. It's far better than I expected it to be for being free.

Not sure why you find it so interesting that a free online network is less developed than one that costs $60 to sign up for.

Um... ok. If I paid for Xbox Live (which I did for 3 years when I had the original Xbox), I'd play every game I could on it to justify paying for online service.

I have a PS3 now and I can't complain about the online service at all. It's far better than I expected it to be for being free.

Not sure why you find it so interesting that a free online network is less developed than one that costs $60 to sign up for.

60 dollars? you live in Canada?

In a recent opinion poll, 74.7% of the PlayStation 3 owners surveyed considered Xbox Live to be the online service with the best feature set when compared to PlayStation Network and WiiConnect24. In addition, 71.4% of the people that actually own an Xbox 360 feel as though Xbox Live is worth the subscription fee.

Possibly even more intriguing is the fact that of the people that owned all three consoles, meaning they had the option of playing multiplatform games online for free, 63% still found Xbox Live to be worth the price. Another statistic that I found particularly interesting is that an in-game XMB is the feature most wanted on PSN, even more so than Home, Trophies, and further PSP integration.

The survey was conducted by Game Informer and printed in their August 2008 issue.

linky

In addition, 71.4% of the people that actually own an Xbox 360 feel as though Xbox Live is worth the subscription fee.

That's the line that matters. Thinking live is worth the price doesn't mean you think it's superior to PSN. As long as Live is the only way to play online it'll be "worth the price" to anyone that actually cares to play online.

Live is very overrated.

u get what you pay for. ps3 is pretty crappy, everyone is too quiet, and thats if you can get your bluetooth to work in the first place. ...live is great, nothing wrong with it, except for the fact its $50 a year.

I don't quite think I get what your saying.

BT headsets are extremely easy to connect I thought. I've done 2 with ease so far.

Everyone too quite could be justified by the people having to buy something extra but I can't say that people with the headsets are quite.

That's the line that matters. Thinking live is worth the price doesn't mean you think it's superior to PSN. As long as Live is the only way to play online it'll be "worth the price" to anyone that actually cares to play online.

Live is very overrated.

LIve is overrated, according to someone who plays video games 2 hours max a week and openly admits he or she doesn't like online play? Yeah well that gives you a lot merit on the subject matter.

Maybe you didn't read the article right.

"In a recent opinion poll, 74.7% of the PlayStation 3 owners surveyed considered Xbox Live to be the online service with the best feature set when compared to PlayStation Network and WiiConnect24."

LIve is overrated, according to someone who plays video games 2 hours max a week and openly admits he or she doesn't like online play? Yeah well that gives you a lot merit on the subject matter.

Maybe you didn't read the article right.

"In a recent opinion poll, 74.7% of the PlayStation 3 owners surveyed considered Xbox Live to be the online service with the best feature set when compared to PlayStation Network and WiiConnect24."

Not once have I said I don't like online play. Find that post for me please. I HAVE said that I don't like twelve year old borderline ******** kids screaming in my ear but that's why I play with personal friends when I'm online.

Anyway, read the first two sentences over. The first sentence is with regard to PS3 owners, presumably people that ONLY have a PS3. (Since they did keep separate data on people with more than one console as indicated in the rest of the article.) Even my two hours a week trumps the opinion of someone that doesn't even own a 360. I don't own a BMW but I've driven a few and some of my friends own them...you gonna take my opinion about how they drive over someone that actually owns one? I don't think so. I'm curious how you can ask a PS3 owner to give you an educated response about two services they don't use regularly...the answer is that you can't.

Here's a question for all the Live fans. If Microsoft bumped online play (and online play alone, no other gold feature) down to silver. Would you still pay for gold?

PS3 Home vs Xbox 360 new look dashboard vs Nintendo Mii

The explosion of avatar based interaction outside of the context of an actual game is well and truly on a roll at the moment. It is akin to when evrything and everyone started to allow profile pictures. These pictures are of course a low grade avatar expression of a persons intent towards you and a system. Inside IBM we have a corporate bluepages, everyone has a space for a picture. It is intended to be a recognizable passport style. However use of it it broken into 1/3 regular pictures, 1/3 expressive, different and innovative pictures and 1/3 no picture at all. I have many conversations around this. (The numbers are not actual numbers btw, just classifications of people). It seems there is a percentage of any population that just does not want to let you know anything about them, they either dont have time, inclination or ability to share. The other 2/3 though are more interesting and whilst may seem to be opposing camps they are willing to share something of who they are online in a particular domain. It would be great to be able to have more than one picture, a straight laced on and an expressive one to further explore who people are and get a sense of them before meeting or talking.

Of course this is where the avatars burst into life. The gaming community is used to some of this expression from within the games. This is now very much bleeding out into the lobby, and going cross game experience.

The Mii’s started to let people created a persistent character when playing in a game. They allow a degree of portability, carrying the Mii around in a WiiMote to a friends house, or travelling around via the slightly over regulated(IMHO) friend system. The problem is the connection to others is not really there online, though is certainly there when all crowded around a TV.

The PS3 Home system promises to enable every PS3 owner to have an immersive virtual world experience, share content, provide game lobby brokering, win new avatar and room related things in games etc. At the moment the PS3 experience online is not great in terms of conncetion to others. The friends list is a bit light, just an icon and a sense you might connect with people in a game somewhere. Recent patches start to change this, but it is a long way behind in terms of feeling of being connected.

The 360 has Live, and this really does seem to have been an integrated community success. You feel always signed on and connected, in game, out of game, watching a DVD. The comms and invites to places, tracking friends achievements and a whole host of other things feel really good. The player pictures from games or from cameras work as an expressive low grade avatar. Of course now after E3 we know that the flat almost web2.0 experience of Xbox live is going to have the brightness turned up on it with avatars. It is a combination of the Mii and Home but will just be there in the autumn no fuss no bother. There is a (not very good) press release page here the videos dont seem to work. So lets hope for a smoother release on XBL.

As per usual all the companies are influenced by one another, trends sweep through, but I think the underlying need we seem to have (atleast 2/3 of us) for digital representations to be more rich is the interesting point.

Linky

I don't quite think I get what your saying.

BT headsets are extremely easy to connect I thought. I've done 2 with ease so far.

Everyone too quite could be justified by the people having to buy something extra but I can't say that people with the headsets are quite.

trust me, i'm not some fool who can't get his bluetooth to work with his phone. I've connected it to the ps3, same way you do with your phone basically, and i've got it to work. and its pretty cool how you can mess with your tone where you can have a high or low voice. then i get in an online game and basically it disconnects for no reason. and not to mention, no one has a mic on the ps3. at most in a game you might have 3 or 4, but most of the time its none.

that is where live has the clear advantage. you can compare features and such, which live would win easily, but if no one communuicates and uses the features, whats the point?

trust me, i'm not some fool who can't get his bluetooth to work with his phone. I've connected it to the ps3, same way you do with your phone basically, and i've got it to work. and its pretty cool how you can mess with your tone where you can have a high or low voice. then i get in an online game and basically it disconnects for no reason. and not to mention, no one has a mic on the ps3. at most in a game you might have 3 or 4, but most of the time its none.

that is where live has the clear advantage. you can compare features and such, which live would win easily, but if no one communuicates and uses the features, whats the point?

Maybe some people don't like to talk trash while they play...maybe some people like to dole out butt kickings in silence. To this day I don't get people's fixation with voice chat and before some smart azz calls me anti-social how about you (not you QV) get off your couch, turn off the video games, and socialize with real people out in the real world. You're in no position to be calling anyone anti-social.

Your main gripe ( or at least the one you choose to air here) is that you have trouble using your headset and you can't find people to talk to. Please help me understand how those are problems with the PSN. That has been my point all along. The feature sets for PSN and Live are very very similar and yet everyone raves about Live for things that can mainly be attributed to the USERBASE, not the network itself.

true, but its also the little things. for example, this is a little thing, but a huge thing at the same time. When I turn on my 360 and check into live...I feel connected. It lets all my friends know i'm on and vice versa. and usally within a minute or so I get a game invite to a gears game (yeah people still play it) or cod4. with the ps3, I just don't got that feeling with ps3, and that pretty much sets the tone for me from here and out with the ps3. The ps3 clearly wins for me with some things, but when it comes to online, 360 is the way to go. people are just more social there. and yeah there is some kids who can be annoying....but thats what the mute button is for ;)

true, but its also the little things. for example, this is a little thing, but a huge thing at the same time. When I turn on my 360 and check into live...I feel connected. It lets all my friends know i'm on and vice versa. and usally within a minute or so I get a game invite to a gears game (yeah people still play it) or cod4. with the ps3, I just don't got that feeling with ps3, and that pretty much sets the tone for me from here and out with the ps3. The ps3 clearly wins for me with some things, but when it comes to online, 360 is the way to go. people are just more social there. and yeah there is some kids who can be annoying....but thats what the mute button is for ;)

Very good points ! B)

Good point, I'm just too cheap (poor) to pay for live and for that matter, get a second console.

I think the PS3 finally has these points though, except the one thing you noted first, connected. Sure you can do all the same things (get invited to play whatever game, see who is online, but I really think the whole color scheme (Bright, Vibrant colors vs. Black white and gray) make a huge difference.

could someone help me out that with the blutooth? I got it connected and everything, and heard myself on it and made sure it was active, but as soon as I started tto go online, it turned off. and its not the battery because it was fully charged.