The more I hear from Smith...

ol'_dirty2

I just hope everyone has patience, because the rebuild is gonna take about 3 years.

This is the most crucial part. Rebuilding will take time, but once its doen and we are competitive year in and year out, then its a matter of reloading positions with players that fit your system. The Falcons have had 3 systems over the last 5 years. No consistency breeds uneven play and few wins. Patience people, is the key!

so after the first TC practice of the year you all love the coach? You predict a SB in 3 years? ALl beacause of how he speaks to the media?

Wow, you guys are hurting for something to grab on to.

Well i don't know about them but i am a jags fan even more than a falcons fan so i was all for smith even before now. I hated losing him in Duval but am pretty pleased with the new DC Greg Williams we got from the skins he is a pretty good coach as well. Coaches can make a big difference. I like most of the coaches except the WR coach from the browns and our OL coach from jags/rams. Jags line was the worst it has been under that ol coach but he did ok with the rams so im taking a wait and see attitude with him. I really wished we would have kept Hue as WR coach/assistant coach. Im not guaranteeing a SB trophy but i think in the future we will be much better than we have been as a complete team. I'll put it this way the bucs won't be able to sit on top of the nfc south without any of the other teams being able to knock them off.

LOL - yeah I been here for 28 seasons, and I am hoping we still hear all this "rosy talk" when things don't go so well as they certainly will.

BTW, it ain't all up to Smith to stay here. Blank has to learn some patience himself and keep this staff for a minimum of 3-5 years. I think he IS learning though, since he didn't let McKay have anything to do with hiring Coach Smith after he totally screwed the pooch with the Quitrino signing. I can still remember him saying, "I have had my eyes on this guy for years." :lol:

While I agree that longevity and consistency is crucial, I'll have to reserve judgement as to whether Smith was the right hire until I see how he responds to a losing streak. You learn more about a leader in how he handles adversity than you do in how he handles success.

I like Smith/Van but the OCs should get a One year contract if he doesnt produce bring in June Jones, or some other genius!

Mike has No Run Blocking OL and he is Running a Power running Game,

I hope we dont have to watch it for more than one year let alone one game.

If he changes up near the end of the season after the inital failure,

He should get another year, but thats it.

2 years Max on OCs keep the HC like Mora Jr :( / Smith :)

This is the most crucial part. Rebuilding will take time, but once its doen and we are competitive year in and year out, then its a matter of reloading positions with players that fit your system. The Falcons have had 3 systems over the last 5 years. No consistency breeds uneven play and few wins. Patience people, is the key!

These are great points. Everyone wants an instant winner. When that has happened in the past, it was one and done. I'll wait it out...it'll be worth it.

so after the first TC practice of the year you all love the coach? You predict a SB in 3 years? ALl beacause of how he speaks to the media?

See...you don't listen. It'll take three years to build a consistent winner. SB will be a stretch. This guy doesn't come with any gimmicks. He talks about playing the game the way championship teams play the game. Agressive D and running the ball with authority. Your team is gonna bend over for us this year though. Y'all won't have to wait for three years.

I just hope everyone has patience, because the rebuild is gonna take about 3 years.

Rebuilding does not mean you cannot compete. I think its reasonable for fans to want their team to go out and be competitive for most of the season. We may not win 10 games, but we better not be getting embarrassed week in and week out. Going into this year, I expect us to compete and have a chance to win in at least 12 out of 16 games. I am not saying we will win 12 games, I am saying we will be competitive and put ourselves in a situation to win.

This year, keep track of how many games we put ourselves in a position to win, and use that as a way to meter the success and failures of the coaches as opposed to the players. Good coaching can lead you to the trough, but the players will have to drink the water and make the plays to win games. Thats just my opinion on the proper way to handicap the success or failure of a season.

lol...i actually agree with jigga on this one. you people all on his nuts after one practice. i can just imagine what yall were saying about petrino last year after his first practice. wait until mid year or towards the end of the season to say things like this.