Weiner cleared to practice!

gazoo

Weiner cleared to play

Offensive tackle Todd Weiner was medically cleared for practice. He finished last season on injured reserve after suffering a knee injury that required surgery.

He participated in individual drills and will be eased into full workouts.

"It felt pretty good," Weiner said after the morning session. "I was a little rusty. It's been a while since I've been out there. I was encouraged. We are to increase the reps and time every day."

Getting Weiner, 32, will be a big boost to the offensive line. He started five games at right tackle and two games at left tackle last season.

"We're going to bring Todd along very slowly," Falcons coach Mike Smith said.

Grimes may start

Brent Grimes, a former undrafted free agent, is the leader to replace former Pro Bowler DeAngelo Hall at cornerback. He's working with the first-string defense.

"He's paid his dues and he's worked extremely hard to get here," Smith said. "He's got an opportunity to be a starter in this league. We were very impressed with the plays that he made on the ball in the [organized team activities]."

Grimes, playing opposite Chris Houston, will have to hold off challenges from David Irons, Chevis Jackson and possibly Von Hutchins.

"It's going to be fun to watch the competition in the secondary," Smith said.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/f...s_practice.html