Morning Training Camp Observations: Saturday 7/26

NewFalcon

For those of you who are starving for some information from this mornings first open practice, I spent most of my time watching the offense today...QB's, some of the receivers and RB/FB's-- and in no particular order, here are some random observations & thoughts from the morning sessions:

Firstly: nobody looked all-pro, but it's the first day of camp so there are opportunities to be seized and improvements to be made on all fronts.

Redman looked really good today. Solid, good mechanics, quick release, and confident. I was watching the coaches while he was working, and got the impression that he was doing everything they asked and was doing it well. He was worked as the #1 QB today, With Joey #2, Ryan #3 and DJ #4. Three of the QB's had good moments today (sorry DJ: it wasn't your day), and no one was perfect.

Based upon what I saw, Chris Redman made the best overall impression as being the most ready-to-start QB on the team. His throws were typically on the money during this session, with one memorable throw that was perfectly placed just under the deep defender and over the top of the shallow defender. Looked like a TD to me!

Matt Ryan looked good, but not (yet) as good as Redman. He made some great throws, but you could tell from his body language (and that of the coaches) after a throw or a play wasn't executed quite right.

Joey looked 3rd best of the QB's today. He was steady, threw nice spirals, but had a medium/long ball picked off during one of the drills because it was a bit underthrown.

Regarding DJ Shockley's performance today.....how should I put this in perspective???? Remember the movie 'Bull Durham', when Eppie Calvin LaLoosh (soon to be nicknamed NUKE) was so wild that he often hit the mascot, threw into the ground or over the backstop??? Let's just say that DJ was the Falcons version of NUKE today. He seemed to be 'staying after class' at the end of practice. While most of the rest of the team headed for the locker room, DJ was working with the coaches and throwing extra passes to various WR's. Some throws showed improvement over the earlier sessions, and some did not. DJ looked like an ongoing development project and although he seemed 100% healthy, he was clearly the #4 QB on the field today. :wacko:

Watching the FB's and RB's doing drills (cones, etc.) it's clear that we will be blessed with both speed and power in our running game this season and the opportunity for improved blocking by our FB's. It our OL can open some small holes; we're going to be off to the races!

Turner is just as powerful and fast as billed. He's surprisingly fast for someone with his physical stature. I would like to have seen him make contact with some of the LB's when wearing pads, just to hear the thunder from the collision.

Jurious showed fluid moves and pure speed: both on hand-offs and on screen passes (can't wait to see his YAC stats this season!).

Ovie and Mcintire are just plain muscular/massive and Snelling was no slouch either.

Roddy looked bigger to me (added muscle perhaps?) and showed great hands and confidence throughout the drills and the 7 on 7's.

Harry Douglas ran some nice clean routes, made some nice catches and gave a glimpse of why he may be a threat to score whenever he touches the ball.

Jennings, Jenkins, Robinson seemed to perform well, with only an occasional drop. Many receivers did a nice job of keeping their toes in-bounds throughout the practice; although one receiver (sorry..can't remember which one) made a spectacular grab, but just couldn't stay in bounds. Weems made some nice catches also.

Finn looked to be healthy and seemed to catch everything tossed in his direction. I confess that I was impressed with him today, although I don't know how fragile he is or how he'll do after being jammed at the line. If he's really ready medically, and can take a hit without injury, he could be a real asset with his height and hands: I had forgotten how tall he was.

Joe Horn also looked professional today, but I expected that because of his experience and his desire to move on to another team.

Do yourself a favor and get to Flowery Branch for at least one practice: it's a great location and a great opportunity to see your new Falcons in action!

Thanks for the impressions. I plan on going tomorrow morning, or next weekend one morning. How long did the practice last, and was it very crowded?

Lasted about 2 hours or so and it moved at a pretty quick pace, with rotations to new drills about every 10 minutes.. It wasn't particularly crowded this morning: lots of places to sit on the hill or on the bleachers that are set up on the top of the hill.

awsome post man..yeah i plan on going on the 30th..wednesday..when are they going to be in full pads?..and how were autograph opportunites?..im hoping to get some..when are they going to have those tables set up for it?

At the end of practice many players came to the sidelines for autograph sessions with the fans. The Falcons staff meet the players before they get to the sidelines and provide them with black sharpies with which to sign things. Among those signing today were Matt Ryan, Jurious Norwood, Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, DJ Shockley and maybe a dozen others. We stayed at the top of the hill and watched, but didn't get into the autograph stuff since we got so many during OTA's. Autograph sessions last about 15 minutes or so then they sound the horn for the players to get into the locker room/facilities.

Get to Flowery Branch---it's a great experience. The Falcons do it right for the fans: you won't regret making the trip.

awsome post man..yeah i plan on going on the 30th..wednesday..when are they going to be in full pads?..and how were autograph opportunites?..im hoping to get some..when are they going to have those tables set up for it?

Just a warning in an interview this morning Coach smith said that wednesday practices will be different, with most of the OL and DL in the weight rooms and those on the field willl be working kicking drills. Interview is on the falcon home page videos

Yep, looking professional is what you need to win games.

Value of any post from Jigga Donkey: about two pennies less than two cents... :(

Value of being able to add Jigga Donkey to the Ignore list: PRICELESS :lol:

Adding you to the Ignore option in 3, 2, 1 seconds.....done!

Buh-Bye.

nice work new falcon, I hope Finn makes the team, and tell Joe to blow his on horn

Let's see if Finn is working at practice today: I understand that he was not involved in the afternoon practice yesterday.

Regarding Joe Horn: on one hand, you hate to see a player unhappy to be on your roster; however, if I was a veteran player with only a limited time left to play, I'd be looking for an opportunity to start somewhere else. It's pretty unlikely that he would play a starting role with the Falcons. Let''s just trade him to another team, get some sort of value in return and then wish him well.

Finn looked to be healthy and seemed to catch everything tossed in his direction. I confess that I was impressed with him today, although I don't know how fragile he is or how he'll do after being jammed at the line. If he's really ready medically, and can take a hit without injury, he could be a real asset with his height and hands: I had forgotten how tall he was.

Yeah, when they went up to Green Bay in 2002 I was at the branch for the sendoff practice and I got to high five him. I had to reach waaaaay up, and he barely lifted his arm.