THE RETURN OF HAMPTON ZOMG!

Headshot

I'm kinda pissed that the Braves sent Charlie Morton back down to AAA for Hampton. Once we officially "concede," we need to let Hampton do his own thing. He obviously won't be back with us next year, so we might as well get a good, long look at Morton.

Same thing goes for Glavine. I can live with bad baseball as long as we're letting some of our "future" get their feet wet. I have no desire to see Mark Kotsay patrolling CF anymore. If Jordan Schafer could get hot for an extended period, we should give him the call up.

On another note, Tommy Hanson had another awesome performance last night. I believe he threw 6 shutout innings with 10 Ks against the same team he no-hit earlier in the year.

I'm kinda pissed that the Braves sent Charlie Morton back down to AAA for Hampton. Once we officially "concede," we need to let Hampton do his own thing. He obviously won't be back with us next year, so we might as well get a good, long look at Morton.

Same thing goes for Glavine. I can live with bad baseball as long as we're letting some of our "future" get their feet wet. I have no desire to see Mark Kotsay patrolling CF anymore. If Jordan Schafer could get hot for an extended period, we should give him the call up.

On another note, Tommy Hanson had another awesome performance last night. I believe he threw 6 shutout innings with 10 Ks against the same team he no-hit earlier in the year.

I agree with this. I think Kotsay has been mediocre at best. Hampton pitched OK today. I sympathize with the guy. I don't think he has been milking the team but, OTOH, there is little topside in keeping him around. Today's loss was pretty frustrating but in the end it was probably a good thing. We need to realize this team is not a playoff team. We are sellers...not buyers. I don't actually think we will get a whole heck of a lot for Tex.

i'll say he pulls a sammy sosa and when he's on his way to the mound in the first inning spains his back while sneezing and is done for the year.

That's not possible, as the game was played today at 3:30. He pitched 4 innings, had 91 pitches total and walked off the mound without injury. The Mike Hampton curse is no more! ^_^

That's not possible, as the game was played today at 3:30. He pitched 4 innings, had 91 pitches total and walked off the mound without injury. The Mike Hampton curse is no more! ^_^

didn't know he pitched today......i've been away from the tv and computer today until recently. but give the curse time....... ;)

Kotsay has been terrific. He slumped a bit when the back injury started creeping up again and when he was just getitng back from the DL, but for the most part he has been fine.

He's been terrific or fine? Like I say, just mediocre.,,,not bad but serviceable at best. Throw in the fact he missed about six weeks with a pre-existing back problem and I think that will be looked upon as a bit of a lopsided trade. Our OF has the least HRs in MLB if I am not mistaken. you have to get some power from your OF spots. the only guy who has been good to me is Blanco in the leadoff spot. No HRs but he is a rock solid pray hitter and all around player.

Kotsay has been terrific. He slumped a bit when the back injury started creeping up again and when he was just getitng back from the DL, but for the most part he has been fine.

Wait, he's been terrific or fine? He definitely hasn't been "terrific." An oft-injured CF who's not hitting for power and has a very average OBP isn't terrific. He has been decent at best when he's healthy.

didn't know he pitched today......i've been away from the tv and computer today until recently. but give the curse time....... ;)

He's not out of Philly yet. It's only a matter of time. But honestly, I hope the best for the guy. I can only imagine how this has taken a mental toll on the guy.

Sorry, I ended my post wrong. He has been terrific when he's been in the lineup. He's spent most of the season in the 7 or 8 holes, hitting around .300 and playing near flawless defense in CF. He's obviously most comfortable in the 7 hole. That's where he has the most AB and his line is .330/.365/.505. That's more than anyone could have expected. His average dropped a bit when he came back from the DL but he has been on point recently.

Sorry, I ended my post wrong. He has been terrific when he's been in the lineup. He's spent most of the season in the 7 or 8 holes, hitting around .300 and playing near flawless defense in CF. That's more than anyone could have expected. His average dropped a bit when he came back from the DL but he has been on point recently.

Take it for what it is worth but CBS sportsline has him ranked at #29 among league CFers out of 56. I'd say that pretty much defines mediocre. Also, consider how many teams there are and how many of those ranked are not considered every day players. I'm not saying the guy is terrible. He is what he is...a journeyman vet OFer...but had we plugged Blanco in CF with a healthy Matt Diaz in LF I think we would have done no worse offensively though Matt would be a step back defensively. We have been spoiled for years with Druw in CF. Had he remained on the team I contend we would have won more games than we have due to his defense and in spite of his terrible hitting. Those one run games would have been fewer for the balls he would have tracked down. This is not to say we should have kept Jones at $18mil per year but a testament to the impact of his glove on our winning percentage. In my opinion, your CFer should be more of an impact player than to be batting 7 and 8 anyway. Our OF's lack of hitting is the primary reason we have sucked this year but mediocre defense compared to what we had been privy to for many years is also a big part.

Not that these rankings are usually very accurate, but if they did that before the season started or during/after his stint on the DL then it doesn't mean anything. But your point on Andruw's defense is moot because Kotsay has been as good as any CF this year. He's been 100x the hitter that Andruw has been. Blame Francoeur if you want to blame the OF, when Kotsay has been in the lineup he has given us way more than anyone expected.

Obviously he has no future with this team, but he has been one of the bright spots this year.

I guess I just don't see it. The only thing that makes him a "bright spot" is the relative darkness everywhere else. The Sportsline rankings are based on where he is now...not before the season. As I say, I don't think he has been bad just very pedestrian. My comments regarding Jones revolve purely around his defense. Kotsay is solid but nothing to write home about. IMHO, he probably is more suited to be a sort of 4th OFer like Diaz but he is the best we can do right now. I don't really know what has happened to A. Jones and his hitting. All those innings? Sad to watch, really.

I just can't see how anyone could possibly complain about Mark Kotsay. That dude was supposed to be nothing this year and has ended up being FAR AND AWAY better than anything Andruw Jones could have ever hoped of doing for us. One of the best moves made by the Braves front office in a LONG TIME was getting rid of Jones and signing Kotsay.

So, you are saying they traded away a promising prospect for a guy who was expected to do nothing? And we are supposed to say he is good because he is doing better than Andruw Jones? Faulty logic, IMO, headshot. I do agree that we are getting way more bang for the buck than we would have with Andruw. A blind man can see that. Andruw is essentially stealing money in LA. Well, I guess if he was expected to do nothing then we should be happy but I expect a CFer to be a pretty high impact player on a team and I don't think Mark has been that. To reiterate, he has not been bad just very pedestrian. OTOH, I didn't expect anything different when they signed him. He is a journeyman MLB OFer...nothing more and nothing less.

Kotsay doesn't dive after every ball, but I serious think he'd be in gold glove contention if he stayed off the DL. He has been great out there. He hasn't made any errors and I can't think of any balls he let get over his head. He has saved our pitchers several runs with his surprising range. I knew he was good, but he's the total package in CF. Smart, good range and a nice arm.