Any Guitarists around? Show off your rigs!

The Egoist

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I just have my Telecaster that's worth talking about (1996 Am. Std):

100_2297-1.jpg

However, it's been a rather good year, and I'm actually about to buy 3 pieces of gear: a Les Paul Standard (Desert Burst), a Taylor 816ce, and a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR.

I MAY end up getting a CA Cargo guitar, too, but that may have to wait.

Hey, Egoist, what do you play those through?

Nice axes, both of them.

A Fender Hotrod mainly, but I also have a Behringer V-Tone modeling amp.

I don't generally use much effects, but I have the Ibanez TS9 tube-screamer that I'll pop on if I know where it is.

Do you enjoy your Les Paul standard? I'm debating on getting one after I get out of college and find myself a job.

A Fender Hotrod mainly, but I also have a Behringer V-Tone modeling amp.

I don't generally use much effects, but I have the Ibanez TS9 tube-screamer that I'll pop on if I know where it is.

Do you enjoy your Les Paul standard? I'm debating on getting one after I get out of college and find myself a job.

Don't have it yet -- waiting on Uncle Sam to come through with a prior year tax refund.

I LOVE playing the one at Guitar Center, though :D

I'm getting the 60's neck version. There's a lot of hoopla about the chambered Standard versus the new "swiss cheese" Traditional versus some of the solid Historics. I think the Standard sounds great, it's REALLY light for an LP, and the neck is just fantastic. For me, the neck was the selling point -- you can talk about tone all day long, but in the end, the one I play the best sounds the best.

I'll post an update with pictures when I get it. Can't wait to see what my Tele sounds like through the Dr. Z amp.

cradle.gif

This is one of my Univox Hi-fliers. This one's from around '76. I also have a white one from about '73. I play them through a Soldano HR-50 head and 4x12 Soldano cab.

Very cool rig, k-train!

I love Soldano amps. Some of the most smooth and musical distortion around.

Very cool rig, k-train!

I love Soldano amps. Some of the most smooth and musical distortion around.

After years of using strictly Marshall amps ( I had 2 JMPs and 3 JCM 800s), I decided to try something different but similar. I did a lot of homework on different amps, and decided to try the Soldano. I couldn't be happier. I sold off my Marshalls and will never play anything but a Soldano again. Superior doesn't even begin to describe it.

After years of using strictly Marshall amps ( I had 2 JMPs and 3 JCM 800s), I decided to try something different but similar. I did a lot of homework on different amps, and decided to try the Soldano. I couldn't be happier. I sold off my Marshalls and will never play anything but a Soldano again. Superior doesn't even begin to describe it.

How does the price compare? Marshall's are just ridiculous sometimes.

How does the price compare? Marshall's are just ridiculous sometimes.

They're priced well compared to Marshall's handwired series, but Marshall probably significantly undercuts them on the PCB stuff.

Here's the thing, though: the Soldano PCB amps (i.e., all of them) are VERY well done -- jacks and pots hardwired to the chassis, IIRC, and a well done PCB, not a cheap "mount everything to the board" cost-cutter. My recollection is they are comparable to the Mesas in terms of build quality, which is good enough in my book.

Warren Haynes plays every gig with a Soldano amp. That's a pretty good endorsement if you ask me. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Soldano didn't outlast even a handwired Marshall. Of late, Marshall quality control has been in the crapper, so while I LOVE the sound of their handwired stuff (the 18-watters are suh-WEET), I don't think I'd put my money on one. I'd get a Soldano or a Mesa if I wanted to do any really heavy stuff, or (STILL for less $$$) a fully handwired Dr. Z for a more classic rock vibe, which is the route I'm going.

EDIT: to add quick comparo:

Soldano Avenger 100 Watt Head $1,820.00

Marshall handwired Plexi $2,799.99

Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 $1,649.99

To be fair, though, you can get the Soldano SLO head for a cool (nearly) 4 large:

Soldano SLO100