The homeless are ready to vote.

51FALCON

We have the the most ignorant and irresponsible going to decide the direction of the country for all of us who do work. They are excited to vote as if there is anything Obama can do for them. He can not pass a bill to give them a work ethic, or personal responsibility. This is the growing problem in America, too many people turning to the government thinking they can solve their problems. To all the well intention but misguided liberals, unless a person wants to take responsibility for themselves, get a job and work hard, you can tax the whole planet to death, but it just will not help these people. If they really want to help themselves they can already find plenty of help to get their lives back together. The government is not their solution, they themselves are. They need to go find the help, do not sit around waiting for the government to improve their situation, if they do it will never improve. I will always want help those who want to help themselves, but only through private charitable organizations, the government is woefully inadequate for these purposes.

Link to the article if you wish to see it:As economic woes mount homeless plan to vote

We have the the most ignorant and irresponsible going to decide the direction of the country for all of us who do work. They are excited to vote as if there is anything Obama can do for them. He can not pass a bill to give them a work ethic, or personal responsibility. This is the growing problem in America, too many people turning to the government thinking they can solve their problems. To all the well intention but misguided liberals, unless a person wants to take responsibility for themselves, get a job and work hard, you can tax the whole planet to death, but it just will not help these people. If they really want to help themselves they can already find plenty of help to get their lives back together. The government is not their solution, they themselves are. They need to go find the help, do not sit around waiting for the government to improve their situation, if they do it will never improve. I will always want help those who want to help themselves, but only through private charitable organizations, the government is woefully inadequate for these purposes.

Link to the article if you wish to see it:As economic woes mount homeless plan to vote

All this means is that the landslide against McCain come November will be larger. ;)

Being homeless, unemployed, poor - are not felonies that take away a person's right to vote.

My point being, are these people informed enough to make good decisions? The founding fathers did not really give anyone rights to vote in the Constitution. It did mention the people would elect the House, but eligibility was left to law. In fact they did not want us to directly elect the President, thus the electoral college. They also did not have us directly electing the Senate. That was changed early last century, and it was a big mistake. Why? Because people are to easily vulnerable to demagoguery. They are easily manipulated and get caught up in emotions, while these are human characteristics, they do not promote the best mental state for making decisions that affect a whole nation. Alot of people are going to vote out of fear this November. Times are hard, they are emotionally vulnerable. This is the perfect time for someone, Obama, to step up and manipulate them. Tell them he has all the anwsers, but with little in accomplishment to back it up.

My point being, are these people informed enough to make good decisions? The founding fathers did not really give anyone rights to vote in the Constitution. It did mention the people would elect the House, but eligibility was left to law. In fact they did not want us to directly elect the President, thus the electoral college. They also did not have us directly electing the Senate. That was changed early last century, and it was a big mistake. Why? Because people are to easily vulnerable to demagoguery. They are easily manipulated and get caught up in emotions, while these are human characteristics, they do not promote the best mental state for making decisions that affect a whole nation. Alot of people are going to vote out of fear this November. Times are hard, they are emotionally vulnerable. This is the perfect time for someone, Obama, to step up and manipulate them. Tell them he has all the anwsers, but with little in accomplishment to back it up.

What makes you think you are any more informed? Its pretty arrogant and frankly, quite ignorant given history, of you to even suggest there be some sort of "test" to vote.

Thats the exact same logic the people who didn't want women to be able to vote were using.

While we are at it, should we just not let people who dropped out of high school vote? How about we have people take a test to see if they can vote? Or count people with phds or professors double since they are more educated on the subject?

What makes you think you are any more informed? Its pretty arrogant and frankly, quite ignorant given history, of you to even suggest there be some sort of "test" to vote.

FEDERALIST No. 68

The Mode of Electing the President

From the New York Packet.

Friday, March 14, 1788.

Alexander Hamilton

To the People of the State of New York:

THE mode of appointment of the Chief Magistrate of the United States is almost the only part of the system, of any consequence, which has escaped without severe censure, or which has received the slightest mark of approbation from its opponents. The most plausible of these, who has appeared in print, has even deigned to admit that the election of the President is pretty well guarded.1 I venture somewhat further, and hesitate not to affirm, that if the manner of it be not perfect, it is at least excellent. It unites in an eminent degree all the advantages, the union of which was to be wished for.

It was desirable that the sense of the people should operate in the choice of the person to whom so important a trust was to be confided. This end will be answered by committing the right of making it, not to any preestablished body, but to men chosen by the people for the special purpose, and at the particular conjuncture.

It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice. A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations. It was also peculiarly desirable to afford as little opportunity as possible to tumult and disorder. This evil was not least to be dreaded in the election of a magistrate, who was to have so important an agency in the administration of the government as the President of the United States. But the precautions which have been so happily concerted in the system under consideration, promise an effectual security against this mischief. The choice of SEVERAL, to form an intermediate body of electors, will be much less apt to convulse the community with any extraordinary or violent movements, than the choice of ONE who was himself to be the final object of the public wishes. And as the electors, chosen in each State, are to assemble and vote in the State in which they are chosen, this detached and divided situation will expose them much less to heats and ferments, which might be communicated from them to the people, than if they were all to be convened at one time, in one place.

Because people are to easily vulnerable to demagoguery. They are easily manipulated and get caught up in emotions, while these are human characteristics, they do not promote the best mental state for making decisions that affect a whole nation. Alot of people are going to vote out of fear this November. Times are hard, they are emotionally vulnerable. This is the perfect time for someone, Obama, to step up and manipulate them. Tell them he has all the anwsers, but with little in accomplishment to back it up.

Talk about manipulate, do you even have a clue of who's being manipulated here. You must be one of one's that think armageddon will come if Obama is elected. Guess what we're all slaves to the government, are you trying to brown nose? It will get you nowhere.

USA51...people's votes have always been influenced by fear. The Republicans are only "concerned" b/c this time it works against them.

My point was that the founders were not apt to trust the people to vote on such an important decision. The electoral college was a safeguard against any compulsive action and emotion not reason vaulting a person to the Presidency. That safeguard is, of course, gone now that states have gone to the winner take all. Electors use to be expected to vote independently of each other. So to tie this all together. Homeless people are broke and down. They are desperate. They have a man promising alot. They decide without further information that this is the man they want, although he has no accomplishments to show he can even deliver. He doesn't even have a plan, yet they are going to vote for him. Why? Emotion not reason. Compulsive decision made because Obama screams change. Although, homelessness is a fact of life and always will be. Although economic downturns are a fact of life and always will be. In the mean time a man gets elected who, in my opinion, is not qualified.

Here's what I think

1) The poeple who are suffering from fear are the ones who want to follow the status quo more closely. Thus they go to extremes to degrade and discredit anyone or anything that represents "change". It's easy to see that fearmongering is still one of the major planks in the Republican platform.

2) Furthermore when you say that the biggest problem in America today is people expecting the government to do everything for them, that's a crock of ****. The biggest problem in America today is EASILY the fact that the government has now decided to trample all over the constitution and treat the people as if they report to the government instead of the other way around. That is much more frightening than the issue of people sitting around and hoping that the government will take care of them.

My point was that the founders were not apt to trust the people to vote on such an important decision. The electoral college was a safeguard against any compulsive action and emotion not reason vaulting a person to the Presidency. That safeguard is, of course, gone now that states have gone to the winner take all. Electors use to be expected to vote independently of each other. So to tie this all together. Homeless people are broke and down. They are desperate. They have a man promising alot. They decide without further information that this is the man they want, although he has no accomplishments to show he can even deliver. He doesn't even have a plan, yet they are going to vote for him. Why? Emotion not reason. Compulsive decision made because Obama screams change. Although, homelessness is a fact of life and always will be. Although economic downturns are a fact of life and always will be. In the mean time a man gets elected who, in my opinion, is not qualified.

Haha riight. So we shouldnt let homeless people vote because they might vote for obama.

Haha riight. So we shouldnt let homeless people vote because they might vote for obama.

I believe we are at a day in time when more people can name the finalist on American Idol than can name their congressman and two senators. I also believe this to be true more often among democrat voters than other parties. Thus, you get Barack Obama, the American Idol candidate. :wacko:

I believe we are at a day in time when more people can name the finalist on American Idol than can name their congressman and two senators. I also believe this to be true more often among democrat voters than other parties. Thus, you get Barack Obama, the American Idol candidate. :wacko:

I seem to remember the republicans of the nation electing Bush without knowing how bad a screw up he was. I also seem to remember that those voters who voted for Bush were clearly statistically less educated than those who voted democrat/3rd party. So I really don't think you have any leg to stand on here.

Here's what I think

1) The poeple who are suffering from fear are the ones who want to follow the status quo more closely. Thus they go to extremes to degrade and discredit anyone or anything that represents "change". It's easy to see that fearmongering is still one of the major planks in the Republican platform.

2) Furthermore when you say that the biggest problem in America today is people expecting the government to do everything for them, that's a crock of ****. The biggest problem in America today is EASILY the fact that the government has now decided to trample all over the constitution and treat the people as if they report to the government instead of the other way around. That is much more frightening than the issue of people sitting around and hoping that the government will take care of them.

Stop giving the government power by giving them more money. Democrats are amazing, you compain about the power of government yet you enable them. By taxing people more you give the big monster more power. The more we sacrifice personal responsiblities and look to the government for health care, jobs, retirement, etc. we create a dependence on it. We give them power over us. Why do you think democrats do everything they can to make sure you depend on government? They will not let us get out of social security for private accounts, they are pushing socialized healthcare, in fact every program they suggest depends on the government. The problem is when you surrender all of these responsibilities to the government you also give them the power over you. It is like a parent over a child. The child is dependent on the parent for everything, thus they have no power. It is not until the child grows to dependence that they have power over themselves.

You want to stop empowering the monster. Demand independence both financially and personally from the government. If you demand all of these programs from the government, then do not whine because they now have all the power. You gave it to them.

Stop giving the government power by giving them more money. Democrats are amazing, you compain about the power of government yet you enable them. By taxing people more you give the big monster more power. The more we sacrifice personal responsiblities and look to the government for health care, jobs, retirement, etc. we create a dependence on it. We give them power over us. Why do you think democrats do everything they can to make sure you depend on government? They will not let us get out of social security for private accounts, they are pushing socialized healthcare, in fact every program they suggest depends on the government. The problem is when you surrender all of these responsibilities to the government you also give them the power over you. It is like a parent over a child. The child is dependent on the parent for everything, thus they have no power. It is not until the child grows to dependence that they have power over themselves.

You want to stop empowering the monster. Demand independence both financially and personally from the government. If you demand all of these programs from the government, then do not whine because they now have all the power. You gave it to them.

Because I vote, and support the idea that government can and in fact has helped our country accomplish some important things doesn't justify what is occuring today. Yes, Congress has allowed itself to be walked over to a degree, and that needs to end. But just because I believe that government can provide beneficial assistance in improving things doesn't waive my rights as an American to expect the government to behave in an acceptable manner. Right now our government, specifically this President, has made a joke of our Constitution.

I seem to remember the republicans of the nation electing Bush without knowing how bad a screw up he was. I also seem to remember that those voters who voted for Bush were clearly statistically less educated than those who voted democrat/3rd party. So I really don't think you have any leg to stand on here.

You missed the title of the thread. The homeless are voting Barack, and others make up your biggest block of democratic voters are welfare recipients, government workers, union members, fast food workers, lets just put it this way every low wage earner and anyone recieving government assistance votes democratic. Nothing at all against honest work, but to sit there and say democrats are the more intelligent party is hard to swallow. Have a nice evening.

You missed the title of the thread. The homeless are voting Barack, and others make up your biggest block of democratic voters are welfare recipients, government workers, union members, fast food workers, lets just put it this way every low wage earner and anyone recieving government assistance votes democratic. Nothing at all against honest work, but to sit there and say democrats are the more intelligent party is hard to swallow. Have a nice evening.

But if that group of people is always going to vote Dem, and yet the Dems do lose elections then I have to think that maybe, JUST MAYBE there is a hole in your theory as to who is making the difference for Obama. Looks like he is pulling voters of all sorts into the debate which has many positives. You imply or outright say that Democrats are foolish to suppport Obama, so I guess you believe that people who vote for the folks with an "R" beside their name are intelligent because they agree with you. If you can't see how foolish that is, then it is only because you don't want to see it.

There isn't any room for interpretation involved in this. Its not me randomly guessing on who voted for who. Statistically, according to more than one study during the 2004 elections Kerry/3rd part voters both were statistically more educated than Bush voters.

You can make all the assumptions you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

There isn't any room for interpretation involved in this. Its not me randomly guessing on who voted for who. Statistically, according to more than one study during the 2004 elections Kerry/3rd part voters both were statistically more educated than Bush voters.

You can make all the assumptions you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

What the **** are facts?

we need to keep these leeches from voting themselves more taxpayer money! the only people allowed to vote should be rich corporate executives who receive tax breaks and billions in bailout money from the government. b/c government assistance to corporations creates jobs and hires more housekeepers and babysitters for the rich executives. government assistance to the poor just makes the poor lazy and stupid and irresponsible!

Homeless people are broke and down. They are desperate. They have a man promising alot. They decide without further information that this is the man they want, although he has no accomplishments to show he can even deliver. He doesn't even have a plan, yet they are going to vote for him. Why? Emotion not reason. Compulsive decision made because Obama screams change. Although, homelessness is a fact of life and always will be. Although economic downturns are a fact of life and always will be. In the mean time a man gets elected who, in my opinion, is not qualified.

Exactly how many homeless people do you interract with in a typical day? Averting your eyes as you walk to dinner doesn't count, btw. I'm curious as to how you know so much about their thought process. And are you speaking of the career or temporary homeless? How/why is their ability to make a decision different from someone with a fabulous house (that they may not be able to afford) who gets his news from one single (biased) source and never seeks an opposing opinion?

The homeless are voting Barack, and others make up your biggest block of democratic voters are welfare recipients, government workers, union members, fast food workers, lets just put it this way every low wage earner and anyone recieving government assistance votes democratic. Nothing at all against honest work, but to sit there and say democrats are the more intelligent party is hard to swallow.
Numbers and sources, please. I'd also like to see the data showing the percentage of low wage earners who are there temporarily while they better themselves (education, second job to reduce debt or increase savings, etc.). Please elaborate on why you assume everyone in each of your referenced categories have lower than average intelligence, income/net worth. Considering you also think professors are ignorant, I'm interested to know which professions attract the most educated, well-rounded voters, in your opinion.