Reality check: Wanna know why everyone says we have no talent?

LOUISVILLEfan

we are about 3 impact players away who are free agents next year by the way

albert haynesworth

nnamandi asomanguah(however u spell his name from the raiders)

and terrell suggs. i made a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. we get those 3 players if the money is right, and we are staring at a 12-13 win season.

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)
chifalc (7/22/2008)
Abraham is a MAYBE?

For the benefit of the doubt, I'll give you Abraham. That's 1 out of 22. I'm not a doom and gloom guy at all but that hurts when you think about it.

Um. .you DO know that Abraham is a defensive end, not a defensive tackle, right?

chifalc (7/22/2008)
Bill Cox (7/22/2008)
chifalc (7/22/2008)
Abraham is a MAYBE?

For the benefit of the doubt, I'll give you Abraham. That's 1 out of 22. I'm not a doom and gloom guy at all but that hurts when you think about it.

Um. .you DO know that Abraham is a defensive end, not a defensive tackle, right?

Both of the Giants DE's are probowlers, are they not?  Doesn't matter, I don't want to argue Abraham - he's a beast.  It's just hard to argue the "talent" talk when you really evaluate what we have. 

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)
I can't think of one that's a no brainer.

A couple of maybe's:  Abraham, Boley, White, and Milloy.   

That's the reality folks.  We're a lot of players short of being a contender. 

Almost forgot, I'll say Koenen.  He's a kick ##### punter.

DARN BILL, IT'S INFORMATION LIKE THIS THAT BECOMES A BURDEN TO ME.:)

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

I sure as heck know who wouldn't have started  :w00t::w00t:....by the way....this is a very thought provoking thread....very good...sir...very good...

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

A couple of maybe's: Abraham, Boley,White, and Milloy.

That's the reality folks. We're a lot of players short of being a contender.

Almost forgot, I'll say Koenen. He's a kick ##### punter.

I think that's a pretty good way to look at it. However, most teams only have a few "stars" and many of the other players are about equivalent. Boley would start on most teams, but Brooking is a wash (being as good as one of the 3 on most teams.) Babineaux might be the second best DT on many teams. Milloy's a solid SS. Our secondary is really the glaring weakness from this standpoint on D. Two of our LBs and two of our DEs would be either starters or a wash. Our secondary is weak.

On offense, White would start on most teams, Robinson seems equivalent to a mediocre 2 receiver (wash), mughelli would start or be a wash for most, Turner is a question, but Norwood is a top "2" back. Though I don't like our line, 2 or so of our players would be good enough to be the non stars of the line.

So, I think your point is good, I just think no team has all great players, so a lot of our players that aren't that great would also start on a good team.

I'd say on D we have:

2 who would start most anywhere (star quality)

2 who would be a quality starter most places (but no star)

2 who would be a below average starter on most teams

On O we have:

2 who would start most anywhere

about 4 who would be average to below average starters

We also have question marks that make the difference in all our young guys.

So, it seems we need about 1 more star per side, but more importantly about 4 quality starters on offense and defense (D line and secondary on defense, and Oline and QB/RB on offense). Hopefully we have a few of those guys and just haven't seen it yet.

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

Thank you, for being realistic you will have people tell you to "Go root for another team! The Falcons will surprise everyone!" You put this topic in a light hopefully those people can understand.

crankthatbatman (7/22/2008)

albert haynesworth

and terrell suggs. i made a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. we get those 3 players if the money is right, and we are staring at a 12-13 win season.

1. Why would any of those players "want" to come to Atlanta unless we were paying 30% more than any other team?
  2. Falcons would have to "break the bank" to get any one player - what makes you think we could get all three?
  3. There are about 20-25 teams with more cap space and better overall talent than the Falcons - do you think we can just throw a "jedi-mind trick" on albert, nnamandi and terrell?

Please answer the above - thanks in advance.;)

formul8or (7/22/2008)
Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

Thank you, for being realistic you will have people tell you to "Go root for another team! The Falcons will surprise everyone!" You put this topic in a light hopefully those people can understand.

Thanks.  I'm one of those who think we will surprise and get irritated when I see all these analysts pick us to be last.  Instead of getting pissed, we have to evaluate their reasoning.  When you look at each individual player, it's hard to argue. 

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)
formul8or (7/22/2008)
Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

Thanks.  I'm one of those who think we will surprise and get irritated when I see all these analysts pick us to be last.  Instead of getting pissed, we have to evaluate their reasoning.  When you look at each individual player, it's hard to argue. 

So where does predictable play-calling and a "jive" coach fit into the evaluation?

theyhateme (7/22/2008)

So where does predictable play-calling and a "jive" coach fit into the evaluation?

Not sure I understand your question but most of the reasoning I've read is about the "overhaul" of the roster which is a pretty weak argument in my opinion.  I think they're basically saying that the few household names we had are no longer here.

Like someone else said, most of the good teams have a few star players and several role players.  That's just my point, our starters aren't as good as their seemingly "role players." 

As important as anything these days in the NFL is how the backups function when the starters are injured.

One thing we know for sure today is that not all of the starters are going to make it through the season. I think our depth that we have now is as good as I remember it, and though I can't compare it to other teams, I've got to believe that we're better in that respect than a lot of others. What we need in order to be a competitive team (among other things) is for us to be the one for once that finds a couple of starters where no one expected. That happens every year, but hardly ever to us.

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)
theyhateme (7/22/2008)

Not sure I understand your question but most of the reasoning I've read is about the "overhaul" of the roster which is a pretty weak argument in my opinion.  I think they're basically saying that the few household names we had are no longer here.

Like someone else said, most of the good teams have a few star players and several role players.  That's just my point, our starters aren't as good as their seemingly "role players." 

In other words, it's not the players perse....I felt we always got out-coached. 

REV.2000 (7/22/2008)
Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

DARN BILL, IT'S INFORMATION LIKE THIS THAT BECOMES A BURDEN TO ME.:)

ME2....:cool:

we soon will have many new england, NY, Indy, JAX and what ever caliber players because we have the guy who evaluated and picked the players for new england. so what is your point. new england has players that are picked specifically for their needs and scheme. they can take anyone who fits their system and makes them a star then when they leave new england they suck!!!! this will happen with the falcons too because we are going to pick the best player for our specific scheme, not the best players by grade.

crankthatbatman (7/22/2008)

albert haynesworth

LOL 3? That's it?

Come on man, you're about 20 players away from winning 12 games. The depth on your roster is atrocious and the players starting are terrible, the Falcons won't win 12 games ever.

You have no money and poor talent, it's going to take years to undo what Mckay did to your team.

Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

3 of them would be no-brainers to start on either team.

Abraham would start at LBer for the Patriots, or DE for the Giants.  He would easily beat out Seau in the 3-4.  He would also beat out Osi on the Giants.  Abraham had 10 sacks last season playing with nobody else on the DL.  If he had Strahan and Tuck on the line relieving pressure, he would have ridiculous production.  No-brainer.

Boley would start on either team as well.  Again, Seau would take a seat and the LBers would shift in order for them to get the best players on the field.  He's better than 2 out of the 3 LBers on the Giants as well.  No-brainer.

Roddy White would've started ahead of Stallworth on the Pat's and ahead of Toomer on the Giants.  No-brainer.

Brooking would also be a no-brainer on either team.  He'd easily beat out Kiwanuka or Mitchell (definitely not Pierce though).  And again, Seau, please.  No-brainer.  I know he gets a lot of heat on this board, but he's not a bad player.  Think about the DL's those LBer's have in front of them and they still don't put up the numbers Brooking does.  No-brainer.

Milloy is debateable because the Pat's and Giants both had very good safeties last season and Milloy is up there in age.  If he wasn't a starter he'd still definitely be a contributor, but I do think he'd crack the starting lineup because he's still an impact and a leader.

pzummo (7/22/2008)
Bill Cox (7/22/2008)

3 of them would be no-brainers to start on either team.

Abraham would start at LBer for the Patriots, or DE for the Giants.  He would easily beat out Seau in the 3-4.  He would also beat out Osi on the Giants.  Abraham had 10 sacks last season playing with nobody else on the DL.  If he had Strahan and Tuck on the line relieving pressure, he would have ridiculous production.  No-brainer.

Boley would start on either team as well.  Again, Seau would take a seat and the LBers would shift in order for them to get the best players on the field.  He's better than 2 out of the 3 LBers on the Giants as well.  No-brainer.

Roddy White would've started ahead of Stallworth on the Pat's and ahead of Toomer on the Giants.  No-brainer.

Brooking would also be a no-brainer on either team.  He'd easily beat out Kiwanuka or Mitchell (definitely not Pierce though).  And again, Seau, please.  No-brainer.  I know he gets a lot of heat on this board, but he's not a bad player.  Think about the DL's those LBer's have in front of them and they still don't put up the numbers Brooking does.  No-brainer.

Milloy is debateable because the Pat's and Giants both had very good safeties last season and Milloy is up there in age.  If he wasn't a starter he'd still definitely be a contributor, but I do think he'd crack the starting lineup because he's still an impact and a leader.

Thanks for a well thought out post.  I tend to agree on most of it.  Even still it says we're a lot of players away from being contenders. 

Not sure you can evaluate how much talent you have that way. Carson Palmer is a great quarterback but he would not start on the Pats. Now we are not that talented but comparing it this way doesn't show how good or bad your talent is.

Guest Gritz
Shaud (7/22/2008)
Not sure you can evaluate how much talent you have that way. Carson Palmer is a great quarterback but he would not start on the Pats. Now we are not that talented but comparing it this way doesn't show how good or bad your talent is.

"Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!"

That's a knockout there blood. Thread over.