How many freshman should Dogs play?

SacFalcFan

How many freshman should Dogs play?

By Chip Towers | Tuesday, July 22, 2008, 09:40 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In about 10 days, Georgia s players will officially report to Athens for preseason practices (I don t call it fall camp like a lot of the coaches because it will be 100 degrees and there are no tents or sleeping bags or even bunks). By all indications, all but two of the 23 signees will be present and accounted for.

Toby Jackson, a terrific defensive line talent out of Griffin, wasn t able to meet academic entrance requirements. He ll attend Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia and enroll at Georgia for the winter semester if he s able to raise his test scores. RB/DB Xavier Avery was drafted and decided to embark on a pro baseball career.

As for the other 21, it will be interesting to see how many actually take the field for the Bulldogs this fall. Georgia has a lot of talent returning among its lettermen and it redshirted a lot of last year s freshmen. The Dogs signed 23 players last year, too, but four of them were JUCO transfers. Out of the 19 freshmen, 14 were redshirted. The five that played were OL Clint Boling, DB Vance Cuff, LB Rennie Curran, TE Bruce Figgins and OL Trinton Sturdivant. Only the decision on Cuff, who was limited to special teams play, could be questioned.

Which brings us to this year s newbies. How many of these guys do you think will contribute this season?

There are a few certainties. OL Ben Jones, PK Blair Walsh and WR A.J. Green are pretty much sure things and you get the idea WR Tavarres King will also get some looks. But some others may be tough calls. I d put running backs Richard Samuel, Carlton Thomas and Dontavius Jackson in that category along with maybe Statesboro DL DeAngelo Tyson.

It s always a tough call but my experience has been that Richt and his staff usually play about a half-dozen frosh every season. But, like I said, they may need even fewer this year. Your thoughts?

Caleb King isn't a true freshman.

I think Richard Samuel will win the 3rd string running back spot, Carlton Thomas will get some special teams playing time, Taveres King will get some PT, although not as much as AJ Green, and Deangelo Tyson is too big of a beast not to use.

I have read somewhere that CMR is a little more open to playing freshman now if he believes they can really contribute to the team their first year, so we may see a few more than last year, maybe seven or eight.

Curran (7/22/2008)
Caleb King isn't a true freshman.

I think Richard Samuel will win the 3rd string running back spot, Carlton Thomas will get some special teams playing time, Taveres King will get some PT, although not as much as AJ Green, and Deangelo Tyson is too big of a beast not to use.

I have read somewhere that CMR is a little more open to playing freshman now if he believes they can really contribute to the team their first year, so we may see a few more than last year, maybe seven or eight.

First off playing guys early does help in recruiting. When they tell a kid we are going to give you a chance to compete and if you are good enough you will play then a kid will believe that when you give them plenty of examples such as a AJ Green, etc. Also when we play the type of schedule we do this year having that depth is big. We need guys like richard samuel to step up when called upon.

I 100% agree with you above.

mbrizzle (7/22/2008)
I hope they dont use DeAngelo this year. With Baldwin out for a couple of games, is there chance that one of the safeties play early.

John knox and Quintan Banks will both play a lot. Baldwin not playing early doesn't do anything to our rotation.

Here is my opinion about who we do not redshirt:

I think we will play the following true freshman and why:

AJ Green and Tavarres King = These guys bring big time receiving threats and will play right away and I think AJ is startin by game #3 and he will tear up south carolina.

Richard Samuel = He has all world speed and he has great size. He will be used a lot early because IMO we will be far ahead and use him and caleb to finish up the game. We need someone of his size and his speed this year.

Cordy Glenn and Ben Jones will both play. Cordy is a key backup at OT. Without him our backup OT on the right side is Potts a walk on. Ben Jones will be starting at center IMO early. I think chris davis is jumped by bean in the depth chart.

Cornelius Washington at DE will play right away and be added to the rotation as will marcus dowtin. I also think Brandon Boykin plays early along with a safety like sanders commings.

Carlton Thomas will play and be a big impact on special teams and in the passing game on 3rd down.

Blair Walsh of course.

I think the following guys are redshirted:

AJ Harmon

DeAngelo Tyson

Dontavious Jackson

Christian Robinson

Nick Williams

Jonathan Owens

Jeremy Longo

Makiri Pugh

Bacarri Rambo

The only guy that IMO is up in the air is Bryce Ros. Why? Right now we have 2 blocking TEs in Figgins & Chandler. If anything happens to either of them I can see Ros playing.

Jgator (7/22/2008)
I can tell you now from that pic that the staff will want Longo to put some more upper body mass on. Ive seen alot of those kids come in a SEC locker room and the coaches work his tail off. He will RS unless there is an injury

he is 100% RS IMO (longo is) as you said unless we have an injury.. I think cornelius is ready to play right away.. he is physically ready.