Nobody wants to give the Falcons any respect?well fine,we'll go and take it!

jes2400

My Savannah newspaper had a Falcons preview piece in the paper 2 days ago,and just like everbody else in the media, we got no respect or credit for anything.They said we'll be lucky to match last years win total.And why does everyone of these football "analists" keep saying Ryan is going to struggle because he doesn't have anyone around him?What are Michael Turner,Jeriuos Norwood,Roddy White,and Ovie Mugelli?Chopped liver?Also,everone's bashing our offensive line as a main reason why we'll struggle.I disagree.I know they're not the best we could've had,but from what I've seen and read from fellow posters,they've beefed up a bit and size was a concern.I also have the upmost confidence in the coaching staff to get those guys ready.I think the O- line will excede expectations .In 1998 we got no respect before the season, so we took it,went 14-2, and went to the Superbowl.Now I'm not suggesting we"ll go to the Superbowl,I know we have a lot of work to do,but I think we'll do way better than we're getting credit for.They won't give us respect,well let's go and take it!!

what have we done to deserve the respect that you want us to have. if you werent a fan of the falcons, would you respect us?.....i agree with you in that we are going to have to earn(or take) any respect we are going to get, & that will just make our victories sweeter

mark hunter (7/22/2008)
what have we done to deserve the respect that you want us to have. if you werent a fan of the falcons, would you respect us?.....i agree with you in that we are going to have to earn(or take) any respect we are going to get, & that will just make our victories sweeter

RIGHT ON MARK. WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO GO OUT THERE AND TAKE SOME RESPECT. PLAY PHYSICAL, TAKE NO PRISONERS, MAKE'EM PAY FOOTBALL YOU'LL BE HEARING A DIFFEERENT TUNE. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR THE SUPER BOWL, BUT TEAMS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BRING THEIR "A" GAME TO BEAT US. :)

Maybe it's better this way anyway to be under the radar and everbody have low expectations for us.How many times were the Carolina Panthers predicted to be going the Superbowl?Their fans get all excited listening to the "experts",only to be dissapionted at seasons end.

FalconFanForLife (7/22/2008)
Until this team I truly love can put up back to back winning seasons, I do not expect any respect.

Honestly, until I moved here during the 1980 dream season after 8 years in the military, where I had NO contact with NFL football, I used to laugh at the Atlanta Falcons as most NFL fans still do.

I remember being in the army,I would try to get updates on scores.People would find out I was a falcon fan and laugh.Its been a long hard trip.....

You can never expect respect you have to take it....plus the reason the saints and panthers got respect is cause they got or had talented players (star players)

whos our "star players"?

we got respect when we had #7....well now #2 and co. have to snatch up that respect and have the whole **** league talkin bout us for years to come.......<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<sorry im excited to see how this works out

With all due respect to everyone who's commented on the lack of respect given to the Falcons:

You don't take respect: you earn respect by your actions, attitude and performance. 

An occasional trip to the playoffs and an unremarkable playoff history does not earn us respect.

Failing to post back-to-back winning seasons does not earn us respect.

Our historical mediocre performance in player acquisition (prior to 2008), the perpetual coaching carousel, and the on and off-the-field player distractions and player drama does not earn us respect.

Having said that, I believe that AB, TD and MS have taken some positive first steps in building the foundation for our team to begin playing with some consistency so that we can start winning the games we should win.  Winning games, playing each game with focus, professionalism and intensity, and demonstrating that you won't give up until the final whistle blows will start earning our Falcons some respect.

That's my two cents worth.

I say let em talk, and we'll be the one's laughing if we end up shocking the world.  Of course, the free world will hop on the Falcon's jocks and the same guys that said we would be lucky to win two games will say they knew all along we had a good team that was just underrated. 

mark hunter (7/22/2008)

I'm a Falcons fan and expect them to suck, until they prove otherwise.

RESPECT isn't just 'given' it's EARNED.

snake (7/22/2008)
Football is a game of inchs. Players get hurt, players make plays, fumbles, int's, weather hurts and helps. The falcons have a good group of Professional players and they can make plays just like everyone else. A team will exceed expectations when a # of things come together, ie. a lucky bounce or catch to gain momentum, a refs blown call going the other way, and mostly the injury bug. When we went to the Superbowl we had been counted out but the ball bounced our way, we missed the injury miser and players made some exceptional plays. Thats the NFL and every team has this same formula, although some have better skill players. What the falcons have is a good group of hustlers, go getter's, high character, motivated individuals. This past draft was an exceptional example of our GM and our new coach. We have the players, so lets get the other luck of the draw and we can and I expect we will compete.

Agreed...great explanation of the game, in tight games, sometimes it just depends on who's favor the ball bounces.  As long as we can compete and keep it tight, maybe the ball will bounce our way.  I would rather us beat down our comp, but ****...I wouldn't mind a few lucky Ws

snake (7/22/2008)
REV.2000 (7/22/2008)
snake (7/22/2008)
Players get hurt,

SNAKE, TRUST ME. YOU GET RESPECT WHEN YOU'RE THE ONE HURTING THEM. I READ YOUR WHOLE POST. VERY GOOD.:)

Thanks Rev. The Falcons have a bunch of high motor types. Add Brook, Lawyer and Abraham to the on field coaching and motivational dept. and the young guys can keep us in the games. Heck, last year we were in alot of games late and we are a better team, by far then last. I am expecting alot of hustle and all these guys were good to great in their past, so lets look for the same in the future. We have a new year approaching and I for 1 am excited abt the possibilities.

I was pleasantly surprised that we were as competitive as we were last year.  I expected nothing and was reminded that every player in the NFL is an incredible athlete.  This is a new year with new players and a new attitude.  A positive mindset can go a long way in the NFL where everyone is so talented.  Remember, superstars are rare and they don't always win championships...ask Dan Marino.  And sometimes rookies become superstars even when drafted in late rounds.  Even veteran players have been known to play better given a new opportunity.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

jes2400 (7/22/2008)
My Savannah newspaper had a Falcons preview piece in the paper 2 days ago,and just like everbody else in the media, we got no respect or credit for anything.They said we'll be lucky to match last years win total.And why does everyone of these football "analists" keep saying Ryan is going to struggle because he doesn't have anyone around him?What are Michael Turner,Jeriuos Norwood,Roddy White,and Ovie Mugelli?Chopped liver?Also,everone's bashing our offensive line as a main reason why we'll struggle.I disagree.I know they're not the best we could've had,but from what I've seen and read from fellow posters,they've beefed up a bit and size was a concern.I also have the upmost confidence in the coaching staff to get those guys ready.I think the O- line will excede expectations .In 1998 we got no respect before the season, so we took it,went 14-2, and went to the Superbowl.Now I'm not suggesting we"ll go to the Superbowl,I know we have a lot of work to do,but I think we'll do way better than we're getting credit for.They won't give us respect,well let's go and take it!!

Get back to me once you've had back to back winning seasons. Until then you'll be taking nothing but laughter from most fans.

REV.2000 (7/22/2008)
mark hunter (7/22/2008)
what have we done to deserve therespect that you want us to have. if you werent a fan of the falcons, would you respect us?.....i agree with you in that we are going to have to earn(or take) any respect we are going to get, & that will just make our victories sweeter

RIGHT ON MARK. WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO GO OUT THERE AND TAKE SOME RESPECT. PLAY PHYSICAL, TAKE NO PRISONERS, MAKE'EM PAY FOOTBALL YOU'LL BE HEARING A DIFFEERENT TUNE. I'M NOT LOOKING FOR THE SUPER BOWL, BUT TEAMS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BRING THEIR "A" GAME TO BEAT US. :)

I hear you. I want teams not wanting to play us, because we're so physical.

why do all the news guys say that we don't have talent now and we have more talent than we have had on offense since 1998.  They NEVER said Vick would struggle because of the surrounding cast...they just said that he is inconsistant, innacurate, you name it....they have already made excuses for ryan.