Ryan avoiding Vick comparisons with Falcons

FalconMama

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. Following Michael Vick as the Atlanta Falcons franchise quarterback might not represent even half the battle for Matt Ryan.

Just being a rookie quarterback in the NFL is tough enough.

Ryan, drafted third overall from Boston College, says the best advice for how to approach this challenge came from his offensive coordinator, Mike Mularkey.

"He sat me down the first or second day," Ryan says, "and told me, 'It's not about proving anything to anybody else. It's proving it to yourself. And don't put added pressure on yourself to show up and be all-pro right away. You just have to know that, when you look in the mirror, that you've put in an honest day's work.' "

Falcons coach Mike Smith won't rule out Ryan starting, meaning he'll enter training camp in a wide-open competition to unseat veteran Chris Redman. Ryan, tutored by Mularkey and position coach Bill Musgrave since the draft, doesn't dare mention a timetable for cracking the lineup.

"For me, it's simple, day-to-day goals," he says. "I can't think about that long-term stuff."

He certainly has a grasp of the scrutiny that comes with his new job. His six-year, $72 million contract which exceeds those of several accomplished veteran passers was cited by many from the day he signed it as a reason the NFL needs a rookie wage limit.

"It's really just a representation of how the system is set up," Ryan says. "I have a lot of respect for the older guys in the league and what they've done. Those guys have put in their time.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...n-sidebar_N.htm

Anansi (7/22/2008)
Ryan says all the right things, I'll give him that much. 

And he seems to be completely unflappable. Like he is a very cool customer and won't be rattled. Guys like Ryan Leaf didn't have that great mental make-up. The more I see and hear from Matt, the more I like him. I just hope this staff does the right things with him.

BruceReville (7/22/2008)
mark hunter (7/22/2008)
how was that ryan avoiding comparasons....you cant compare the 2 in any way.....except they both have mr blanks $$$$$,& are on the falcons roster as qbs

And four letter last names as well -- see they are so alike it isn't even funny :w00t:

lol....dont know how i missed that one:D

Anansi (7/22/2008)

I'M NOT CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT HE'S SAYING. I'M CONCERNED ABOUT HIM MAKING THE RIGHT READS OF A DEFENSE. PUTTING THE RIGHT TOUCH ON HIS PASSES. LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD (Ryan avoiding Vick comparisons with Falcons). WHY IS IT THAT MATT RYAN CAN'T GET TOP BILLING WITHOUT MIKE VICK BEING INCLUDED? THE GUY THAT WROTE THE ARTICLE DIDN'T WRITE THE THREAD TITLE. ALL I'M SAYING IS .... IF MATT'S THE TOP DOG .... LET'S GIVE HIM TOP DOG BILLING. THE GUYS THAT WRITE THESE ARTICLES CAN ALWAYS THROW MIKE IN THE MIX, BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN WE HAVE TO. I KNOW IT WASN'T THE THREADERS INTENTIONS. BUT IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING. IT WOULD BE NICE IF MATT COULD GET SOME PRESS BY HIMSELF.:):)

REV.2000 (7/22/2008)
Anansi (7/22/2008)

I'M NOT CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT HE'S SAYING. I'M CONCERNED ABOUT HIM MAKING THE RIGHT READS OF A DEFENSE. PUTTING THE RIGHT TOUCH ON HIS PASSES. LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD (Ryan avoiding Vick comparisons with Falcons). WHY IS IT THAT MATT RYAN CAN'T GET TOP BILLING WITHOUT MIKE VICK BEING INCLUDED? THE GUY THAT WROTE THE ARTICLE DIDN'T WRITE THE THREAD TITLE. ALL I'M SAYING IS .... IF MATT'S THE TOP DOG .... LET'S GIVE HIM TOP DOG BILLING. THE GUYS THAT WRITE THESE ARTICLES CAN ALWAYS THROW MIKE IN THE MIX, BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN WE HAVE TO. I KNOW IT WASN'T THE THREADERS INTENTIONS. BUT IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING. IT WOULD BE NICE IF MATT COULD GET SOME PRESS BY HIMSELF.:):)

While I don't disagree with you, it is how the NFL works. Steve young with Montana, Rogers with Favre, and All of the Fins qb's with Marino......it is a rite of passage, Ryan will get his time to be singular, but for now he is in Vick's shadow...By end of Ryan's first full starting season, Ryan will have a name for himself either good or bad.

REV.2000 (7/22/2008)
Anansi (7/22/2008)

Time to move on.Just another attempt to catch national as well as local readers with a vick reference.

What's really unfair is the fact that for the most part, Ryan's name cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Vick's.  It's not like it's Ryan's fault that he's had to come into a situation like he has and all of the media/reporters throwing the 'Shadow of Vick' into his face would really seem to be more of a way of creating pressure for the guy.  But considering Ryan's situation and all of the pressure the media brings, not to mention some of the hate he receives from some of the Vick fans, this guy's handled himself very professionally and has also given the right answers.  If Matt Ryan's play on the field is any reflection of how he handles the pressure from the media, then we're in for one of the best QB eras in Atlanta Falcons football.

BruceReville (7/22/2008)
mark hunter (7/22/2008)
how was that ryan avoiding comparasons....you cant compare the 2 in any way.....except they both have mr blanks $$$$$,& are on the falcons roster as qbs

And four letter last names as well -- see they are so alike it isn't even funny :w00t:

Four letter first names too.

I'll say this.  I would rather be in Matt Ryan's shoes than Aaron Rodgers.  The "shadow" of Vick is just a stupid way to put it.  Vick was popular, Farve was popular and a good QB who was around for a long time, won a SB, etc.  All Matt Ryan has to do is be a solid and consistent QB and he'll be better than Vick....

Now, let the Vick lovers flame me, lol. 

Anansi (7/22/2008)

He has yet to participate in a training camp, much less a game and he has already been asked pressing, tough questions by the media.  He has handled it pretty well, which is, if nothing else, a good sign.

FalconMama (7/22/2008)
By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. Following Michael Vick as the Atlanta Falcons franchise quarterback might not represent even half the battle for Matt Ryan.

Just being a rookie quarterback in the NFL is tough enough.

Ryan, drafted third overall from Boston College, says the best advice for how to approach this challenge came from his offensive coordinator, Mike Mularkey.

"He sat me down the first or second day," Ryan says, "and told me, 'It's not about proving anything to anybody else. It's proving it to yourself. And don't put added pressure on yourself to show up and be all-pro right away. You just have to know that, when you look in the mirror, that you've put in an honest day's work.' "

Falcons coach Mike Smith won't rule out Ryan starting, meaning he'll enter training camp in a wide-open competition to unseat veteran Chris Redman. Ryan, tutored by Mularkey and position coach Bill Musgrave since the draft, doesn't dare mention a timetable for cracking the lineup.

"For me, it's simple, day-to-day goals," he says. "I can't think about that long-term stuff."

He certainly has a grasp of the scrutiny that comes with his new job. His six-year, $72 million contract which exceeds those of several accomplished veteran passers was cited by many from the day he signed it as a reason the NFL needs a rookie wage limit.

"It's really just a representation of how the system is set up," Ryan says. "I have a lot of respect for the older guys in the league and what they've done. Those guys have put in their time.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...n-sidebar_N.htm

Vicks faster ;-)

Shaud (7/22/2008)
I don't even see why they titled the article "Ryan avoiding Vick comparisons with Falcons" The article wasn't even about Vick and nobody is really comparing them.

It should really never happen...the comparison I mean. They are so totally different in what they bring to the table. Most notably, one is playing this year and the other will have to hear about the game from family or friends. Let Matt do his thing when he gets a chance and compare him to Bartkowski or Chandler.