I dont see how everyone else does....

I think the Falcons WILL surprise everyone this season.......

We WILL run the ball well this season.......not like last year when we would start a game running ok and then totally abandon the run!  Malarkey has installed a power running attack and is a very conservative play caller (not always a good thing, but when your bringing up a rookie you cant have a complex agressive attack)  turner and norwood will turn some heads this year they are the perfect combo of a power runner and a breakaway back!!

The passing game will be very good....with Redman starting off the season he is a underated passer....and when Ryan comes in (wherther he starts from week 1 or comes in later in the year) he will not be in position to make alot of mistakes because of the conservative style implemented.....and we will run on 2 of 3 downs!

Our D will be solid....abe will be abe....anderson will step it up this year (i predict an 8 sack season from him)....babs is solid.....line backers are among the best in the league.....need work in the secondary but they could surpise us?

all in all im thinking its not going to be as bad as most think....I am a glass full type of guy!!

all im saying is dont write this season off like last year....we WILL compete in this division....we will not come in last this season!!!

formul8or (7/22/2008)
Our run game this year will suck like last year because we didn't fix this little problem called the o-line. We abandoned it for a reason each game last year.

the oline wont be as bad as last season....they were decimated with injuries and you cant predict those.....if they stay healthy they will be improved.....YOU'LL SEE

houston-23 (7/22/2008)
formul8or (7/22/2008)
Our run game this year will suck like last year because we didn't fix this little problem called the o-line. We abandoned it for a reason each game last year.

the oline wont be as bad as last season....they were decimated with injuries and you cant predict those.....if they stay healthy they will be improved.....YOU'LL SEE

The injured ones will just be more injury prone this year, plus the older ones have only gotten older.

formul8or (7/22/2008)
houston-23 (7/22/2008)
formul8or (7/22/2008)

The injured ones will just be more injury prone this year, plus the older ones have only gotten older.

You dont know that!!!!

formul8or (7/22/2008)
houston-23 (7/22/2008)
formul8or (7/22/2008)

When you're trying to put something together like we're doing it's hard to gage. I'm banking on the new coaches to get maximum production from what we've got. It scares me that we're not very deep at some key positions. That's one of the keys that most of the usual play-off teams have, deep benches. The ability to plug in another player and not loose your production level. As opening day gets closer, I get a little more nervous. I'm hoping to see somethings in pre-season games to reassure me. One thing I'm confident of ..... we're not going to be as bad as some think.;)

formul8or (7/22/2008)
did you ever stop to think that the reason we only picked 1 ol in the draft & fa, is that we might not be as bad on the ol for our system as alot of people think. this offseason has been systematic in the cuts we made & how we handled fa & the draft,so im really curious & excited to see how the altanta falcons become a team

mark hunter (7/22/2008)
formul8or (7/22/2008)
did you ever stop to think that the reason we only picked 1 ol in the draft & fa, is that we might not be as bad on the ol for our system as alot of people think. this offseason has been systematic in the cuts we made & how we handled fa & the draft,so im really curious & excited to see how the altanta falcons become a team

so true

Idk...even when the Falcons were the leading rushing team, we never put up huge points. The Patriots broke the record for most points. Not by rushing but by their PASSING game. The Giants had a decent line for the past few years. But they always tried a run 1st offense to "keep Eli from forcing something" as they always say. When good D shuts down the running game, what do you do? Hope for a big gain? But of course a passing is needed. Without it they are no hopes for the playoffs. I say we go pass 1st and use the run to finish up games. Stretch the D, impose our will. We should use Norwood like how the Saints use Bush. We moving from the "Vick" Era, so lets move from that offense. Keep in mind it was Vick himself that help the running game. Redman nor Ryan are known to be that mobile. We got Shockley....

The O-Line will be a heck of alot better than last year because of real NFL coaching.Remember a couple of years ago we were #1 in rushing in the NFL for a couple of seasons. We changed staffs,different schemes and a couple of injuries and WA-LA one of the worst lines in football.I agree with the Guy that started this thread! GO FALCONS!!!

ironhead56 (7/22/2008)
The O-Line will be a heck of alot better than last year because of real NFL coaching.Remember a couple of years ago we were #1 in rushing in the NFL for a couple of seasons. We changed staffs,different schemes and a couple of injuries and WA-LA one of the worst lines in football.I agree with the Guy that started this thread! GO FALCONS!!!

thank you ironhead

houston-23 (7/22/2008)
I think the Falcons WILL surprise everyone this season.......

We WILL run the ball well this season.......not like last year when we would start a game running ok and then totally abandon the run!  Malarkey has installed a power running attack and is a very conservative play caller (not always a good thing, but when your bringing up a rookie you cant have a complex agressive attack)  turner and norwood will turn some heads this year they are the perfect combo of a power runner and a breakaway back!!

The passing game will be very good....with Redman starting off the season he is a underated passer....and when Ryan comes in (wherther he starts from week 1 or comes in later in the year) he will not be in position to make alot of mistakes because of the conservative style implemented.....and we will run on 2 of 3 downs!

Our D will be solid....abe will be abe....anderson will step it up this year (i predict an 8 sack season from him)....babs is solid.....line backers are among the best in the league.....need work in the secondary but they could surpise us?

all in all im thinking its not going to be as bad as most think....I am a glass full type of guy!!

all im saying is dont write this season off like last year....we WILL compete in this division....we will not come in last this season!!!

Well all you have is hope because the fact remains that your roster lack signifigant talent. Your OL is awful, Redman is below-average, your LB's are awful, your secondary is by far the worst in the league, and your DL is only average because of JOhn A.

Having turrible QB play with poor OL play and one of the worst D's in the league, you'll be lucky to win 4 games. All the hope in the world won't fix the massive roster issues you're going to have to deal with.

Hate me all you want, it's the truth. Reality will smack you guys in the face come september.

Well as a homer fan I am always optimistic. But at the same time I won't get my expectations too high as I try to remember it takes time to develop new schemes, new coaches, and mostly new players as a team.

Like a a lot of you, I fully expect some improvement just from have valid NFL coaches running the show. I don't claim to be anything but a fan, BUT last season I was in shock watching the mismanagement of Quitrino and company from the start. Sure the YKW escapade hurt the team, but the nonexistent coaching and lousy play calling only made it worse.

I feel pretty certain we will do better than last seasons record, but really I am just looking to see the team improve as the season progresses. Let's not all jump on their cases either when they do struggle, as I am quite sure they will.

I think we're going to be better than last year.  Okay, so 'key players' have been cut/traded but consider this: 

1. Dunn is gone - the production from his position was 720 yards rushing (Half of his 2005 production of 1416 yards).  Turner will be the feature back this year and barring injury, Micheal Turner should carry the rock 250-300 times and gain anywhere in between 1000-1500 yards (based on 4-5 yards per carry avg).  Definitely an improvement here.

2. Crumpler is gone - production last year was 42 receptions for 444 yards/5 TDs (his 2005 production was 65/877yards & 5 TDs).  We cannot foresee much passing game production from the TE position this year but I still can say maybe 2 catches/game and maybe 2-4 TDs during the season.  Say maybe 300 yards based on 9-10 yards/catch.  No passing game improvement but running game should benefit.

3. As questionable as the Offensive Line was last year, it should be improved this year with basically the same personnel (add Baker) and an improved coaching staff with improved training and techniques being initiated.  Most likely a vastly improved line with players being able to handle multiple positions.  Running game will benefit highly, pass protection will still be somewhat questionable.

4. DeAngelo Hall is gone - Chevis Jackson isn't the prototype one-on-one corner but should be serviceable as a Cover 2. Hall was a pretty good CB but still got torched by the elite WRs (Smith, T.O., etc.) and was not a true 'shut down' receiver (aka Deion Sanders).  This area is the biggest question mark on the team but considering the Falcons had the 29th ranked Defense last year, this position will have to be considered a 'push'.

5. Rod Coleman is gone - It was thought that the Falcons would have drafted a DT in this year's draft as they've been weak against shutting down the run.  They have acquired a few serviceable FA's in the offseason and there are rumors that J. Anderson might fill into this position on occasion.  Bierman was drafted and should be utilized in passing situations so hopefully the DL will be able to provide a good enough pass rush so that an inexperienced secondary will not get picked apart.  Even though there is still holes at DT to fill, overall, the DL should be slightly improved. 

6. DeMorrio Williams is gone - The Falcons shouldn't miss Williams with the drafting of Curtis Lofton who had to be one of this year's draft steals.  LB is definitely not a weakness of the team and should be improved over last year.  Whether this will result in the total Defense to be ranked higher than 29th remains to be seen but overall, the quality of players from last year to this year hasn't been significantly reduced.

7. The acquisition of Matt Ryan was made in order to give the franchise some kind of field general to lead this team forward towards being successful in the near future and for years to come.  There is a definite improvement over 2007 here although it may take a few games to get Ryan acclimated to the NFL.  The WR corps is solid and with the addition of Harry Douglas, should become one of the top ten in the NFL.  Improvement has been made here as well.

8. Kicking game should be slightly improved with the 'younger' leg of Jason Elam who still has 50+yard range and very high accuracy at 40 & below.  Improvement has been made here.

9. Special Teams should be improved some this year with new acquisitions made in FA and in the draft.  Maybe not a huge improvement but it should start out as good or slightly better than last year and improve throughout the season. 

So in essence, we are an improved team over last year's team at every position with the exception of CB.  DT doesn't appear to be improved but it also doesn't appear to have fallen either.  With an improved running game & the WR corps in place our offense should be able to put up more points this year from what they've put on the board last year (16.2 points/game - ranked 29th).  It will be up to the defense to step up and reduce the points given up from last year (25.9 points/game - ranked 29th).  If we can score an extra TD/game and prevent an extra FG/game on Defense, the numbers can look like 23.2 on Offense and 22.9 on Defense which could potentially give us a realistic shot at a .500 record (8-8) for this upcoming year.