getting tired of Cheese when I play online football games

I just played my 3rd online game in NCAA. The first game I played was against LSU, and it was a great football game, I ended up winning by 3 points, and I had to call a vast variety of defensive plays to confuse the other player.

The second game I played was against WVU, Naturally the player ran... Pat White left/ Pat White Right... throw deep while on the run. I didn't really have a problem taking him down, because he quit halfway through the 2nd quarter after throwing his 4th pick. I didn't even want to finish the game, because I didn't really have time.

I just played a game against Flordia, and going into it I figured it would be more of the same as I experienced in the 2nd game. From what I could see it was Tebow Left/ Tebow Right/ Tebow straight back... throw deep. I literally had to run 1... yes 1 play on defense over and over again. He kept having Harvin run a post down the middle of the field. I ran cover Dime Cover 3 the whole game, and simply controlled the Robber and jumped the post every time. If he came out in shotgun with a RB I simply slanted my defensive line to the side of the RB and brought my DB up for the pitchman (yes I was still running the same defensive play)

I ended up winning 52 to 0. Stafford was 24 for 25 with about 250 yards... and I think I did a good job of mixing up my plays. I had to leave the pocket one time and I usually got rid of the ball as soon as I finished my drop. I couldn't ever establish the run, Moreno had 20 attempts for 50 yards. I think that is the most challenging part of playing online.

I am lucky now, I am living in my campus apartment... since it is summer the internet is faster than 99% of all internet connections; however, once everyone starts back in the fall my live time is going to be restricted to either weekends or 3am.

I played another game tonight.

I just cannot establish the run no matter who I am online. I average like 2.5 yards a carry. My entire offensive scheme feels like I am playing a run and shoot. I use the pass to set up the occasional run.

Play with people you know or don't play against teams that are abused by 95% of the people who play with them. The only good thing about the whole Vick fiasco is I can go back to playing with the Falcons on Madden whenever I want. I found people were a tad more willing to play me with Harrington at QB.

chris30277 (7/21/2008)
I am lucky now, I am living in my campus apartment... since it is summer the internet is faster than 99% of all internet connections; however, once everyone starts back in the fall my live time is going to be restricted to either weekends or 3am.

I played another game tonight.

I just cannot establish the run no matter who I am online. I average like 2.5 yards a carry. My entire offensive scheme feels like I am playing a run and shoot. I use the pass to set up the occasional run.

You seem like a really good player. What sets do you use to run?

Yeah it does get hard at times getting the run going. I usually have to resort to dumping the ball off to Moreno. I will say this though - I have gotten better runs out of shotgun and on toss sweeps with him. I also had the habbit of flouring turbo as soon as he recieved the handoff. Now I wait for my blockers, etc. But still doesn't always work. He will bust off some nice runs if you keep at it though. I'm sure you know most of this. But try running sweeps and off-tackle from shotgun. That should help.

I was playing a guy the other day using FL. He would hike it, run staright back and before my guys caught up to Tebow, he would throw to a reciever. I eventualy stopped it, but still frustrating.

sirlot (7/22/2008)

Yeah it does get hard at times getting the run going. I usually have to resort to dumping the ball off to Moreno. I will say this though - I have gotten better runs out of shotgun and on toss sweeps with him. I also had the habbit of flouring turbo as soon as he recieved the handoff. Now I wait for my blockers, etc. But still doesn't always work. He will bust off some nice runs if you keep at it though. I'm sure you know most of this. But try running sweeps and off-tackle from shotgun. That should help.

I was playing a guy the other day using FL. He would hike it, run staright back and before my guys caught up to Tebow, he would throw to a reciever. I eventualy stopped it, but still frustrating.

today I went up against a guy that would run to either the right or left and then turn around and throw all the way across field, out of the picture frame to a wide open WR. How am I supposed to defend against someone that I can't even see? I mean in real football the guy on the blind side of the QB is usually just ignored, in Madden/NCAA i still have to manually account for him. its BS.

I feel you. I am sick of playing Ohio State, Georgia and Florida State (WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD?). I usually play with West Virginia and Michigan and i do more than pat white leftpat white right. Georgia isnt so bad because they dont have track team receivers so if you can contain Moreno you have a chance to win. FL state and Ohio State have track team receivers and running back and fast QBs who run all over the place. If you contain the QB, you get beat deep because no matter how you blitz 8 times out of 10 it wont get there. Also their Rbs are faster than LBs and stronger than Dbs. I am about to stop playing people who pick those teams. They beat me cause they have 3, 4 BIG plays that put the game out of reach. Its no fun playing against someone who calls the same 4 plays the whole game waiting to for the me to go man or cover 2 so they can just go deep to the WR. Since dude has to have 97 or 99 speed because he is always 5 yards behind my safety even in deep zone coverage. you can just watch dude run past my DBs and pull away. Its like randy moss on madden. Fl state is like vick at QB, randy moss at WR and west brook at RB for those who play madden.

I lost by a TD to Fl state on an Int i threw on offense cause the lag monster got me when i tried to take control of the WR. I have FIOS so it has to be the servers.

Remarkable (7/22/2008)
Play with people you know or don't play against teams that are abused by 95% of the people who play with them.The only good thing about the whole Vick fiasco is I can go back to playing withthe Falcons on Madden whenever I want. I found people were a tad more willing to play mewith Harrington at QB.

I never understood why people wouldn't play Atlanta with Vick. Obviously the people that could run and pass with Vick AND run with Norwood/Dunn/Duckett were almost unbeatable but the cheap ones were always easy wins.

btrain5489 (7/22/2008)
Remarkable (7/22/2008)
Play with people you know or don't play against teams that are abused by 95% of the people who play with them.The only good thing about the whole Vick fiasco is I can go back to playing withthe Falcons on Madden whenever I want. I found people were a tad more willing to play mewith Harrington at QB.

I never understood why people wouldn't play Atlanta with Vick. Obviously the people that could run and pass with Vick AND run with Norwood/Dunn/Duckett were almost unbeatable but the cheap ones were always easy wins.

I played with Atlanta without Vick even before they took him out of the game last year. As long as I could establish the run early, I could flow the whole offense through Norwood or Dunn. Redman didn't have a big arm, but once they updated Roddy, I could run my pass happy offense. As long as I didn't play a guy that cheesed randy moss, i could usually win.

Usually in NCAA if someone doesn't want me to play with GA (they are my favorite team, and I can't help that they are ranked so well), I will play with South Florida. I lovce their Defense, and Grothe is just moble enough for me to buy some time if need be.

As I said earlier I usually get rid of the ball pretty quick, but its always nice to have the ability to scramble when things break down.

I have not really played online but a few times and they good games. I always use a team with a mobile QB but I hardly ever run with him.  I do like having a QB to scramble with if I have to but I don't just run around and wait for someone to get open.  I am usually rid of the ball in a couple of seconds.  I have only played 4 games and I used WV once UGA once(even though I hate them but my opponent was UF) and UF and GT the other two times.  I just choose not to play online because people are so obsessed with winning that they forget there are more than 5 plays in playbooks.

I just played a game tonight where I litterly could not stop my opponent. If i called the right play and had ever WR covered, I couldn't generate a pass rush... so he just stood their and waited for his guys to get open. If i did generate a pass rush it was because I had to blitz... so i couldn't cover everyone. Heck sometimes I called the perfect play got a great pass rush, and he somehow completed some BS bass where my DB was blanketed all over the WR.

I was playing as Texas Tech and I was not as lucky as him. I ended up winning on a 98 yard drive. It was freaking epic. he had 4th and inches and ran a QB sneak and I totally lucked out and stuffed it.