Saints have Shockey now at TE, but they have now traded away their 2nd, 4th, and 5th round pick in the draft next year.

southga08

They have also traded for Jonathan Vilma.

The Vilma pick will be upgraded to a 3rd round pick if he stays healthy for most of the season.

The Saints have picked up two players who have played very good in the past, but who were both injured for most of the past season, and has injury history.

Things could work out for them, but if they don't they won't have much to work with come draft time next year after their first pick.

southga08 (7/21/2008)

The Vilma pick will be upgraded to a 3rd round pick if he stays healthy for most of the season.

The Saints have picked up two players who have played very good in the past, but who were both injured for most of the past season, and has injury history.

Things could work out for them, but if they don't they won't have much to work with come draft time next year after their first pick.

Traded Vilma?

FalconMama (7/21/2008)
You can afford to make trades like that when you don't have holes.

Their problem is that their only true running back also missed most of last year with an injury (Mcallister).  After him Aaron Stecker will be getting most of the carries.  At his best he is average.  And don't forget that the Saints started the season horribly last year, with Brees throwing 8 intercepions to only 1 TD to start out. (Brees has almost had an injury history).  And technically Bush had offseason surgery.

If the Saints have some luck (mainly very few injuries) then they could make a lot of noise.  But if the injury bug comes around they could fall a long ways.  It has got to scare Saints fans a lot with all the injuries that will be on the field at once.  It is not quite as bad as holding your breath with John Abraham, but still scary.

southga08 (7/21/2008)
FalconMama (7/21/2008)

Their problem is that their only true running back also missed most of last year with an injury (Mcallister).  After him Aaron Stecker will be getting most of the carries.  At his best he is average.  And don't forget that the Saints started the season horribly last year, with Brees throwing 8 intercepions to only 1 TD to start out. (Brees has almost had an injury history).  And technically Bush had offseason surgery.

If the Saints have some luck (mainly very few injuries) then they could make a lot of noise.  But if the injury bug comes around they could fall a long ways.  It has got to scare Saints fans a lot with all the injuries that will be on the field at once.  It is not quite as bad as holding your breath with John Abraham, but still scary.

Yet with all these problems they still managed to beat us 4 times in two yrs.

southga08 (7/21/2008)
FalconMama (7/21/2008)

I think Pierre Thomas (Rashard Mendenhall couldn't beat him out as a starter at Illinois) will get a lot of playing time this year. Deuce had ACL and microfracture surgery this offseason. I don't see him coming back to being anything significant. Bush actually played well last year too until he started playing with a torn PCL, but I have no idea how or why the team started that horrific last year.

They probably thought too highly of themselves before the season began. I won't comment anything on injuries because even Vilma never missed a game before last year because of injuries. You just never know. Someone could land on your foot and roll up on your knee and you're done.

I wouldn't say the Saints don't have many holes, but they are in pretty good shape right now. The lack of draft picks will hurt 2-3 years down the road (good for the Falcons though considering where they are today vs a few years from now), but I don't think there's a single team out there that wouldn't have traded a few middle round draft picks for Vilma and Shockey.

southga08 (7/21/2008)

i agree........ for some reason i dont think they will be as good as they look..... They will still be good but not great

another thing....... The Saints Cap...... How much cap space can they have left........ In their D-Line Alone they have a fortune invested......

Bobby McCray:5 year, $20 million contract

Charles Grant: 7 year, $63 million contract, $20 million in guarantees

Will Smith: 6 year, $61.4 million contract, $25 million guaranteed

FalconMama (7/21/2008)

They have one of the worse defenses in the league.They are tradeing for often injured players..................All their bombs have fuses and nobody brought a lighter!

atljbo (7/21/2008)
southga08 (7/21/2008)

i agree........ for some reason i dont think they will be as good as they look..... They will still be good but not great

another thing....... The Saints Cap...... How much cap space can they have left........ In their D-Line Alone they have a fortune invested......

Bobby McCray:5 year, $20 million contract

Charles Grant: 7 year, $63 million contract, $20 million in guarantees

Will Smith: 6 year, $61.4 million contract, $25 million guaranteed

Last time I saw about a month ago, they had 20 million or a little bit over that...their still over 10 million for sure.

As for trading picks away, the Saints could always trade back from the 1st round.

bigduke633 (7/21/2008)
FalconMama (7/21/2008)

They have one of the worse defenses in the league.They are tradeing for often injured players..................All their bombs have fuses and nobody brought a lighter!

The saints ranked 13th overall in team run Defense but ranked 30th in pass Defense

Farmer (7/21/2008)
I'm happy they've traded for Shockey, now they have the two most overrated players in the league with him and Bush.

Before the freeagency period started .... The Saints had New Orleans $31.1 million in cap space..... ****

Whom ever is cooking the books for the Saints is doing their jobs

FalconMama (7/21/2008)
Yeah, they added what might have been their last remaining piece of the puzzle. Hopefully, he won't get enough balls thrown his way and he'll become a cancer. It doesn't take too much for the 'aints to fall apart. That's a historical fact.

ol'_dirty2 (7/21/2008)
FalconMama (7/21/2008)
Yeah, they added what might have been their last remaining piece of the puzzle. Hopefully, he won't get enough balls thrown his way and he'll become a cancer. It doesn't take too much for the 'aints to fall apart. That's a historical fact.

Have some lemons with some sour grapes will ya :angry:

sivik_outkast (7/21/2008)
Shockey has been going down hill ever since 2005 and he will continue to do so whether he is in a Giants uniform or Saints uniform.  Doesn't bother me where he is.  He is a good player, just over rated in MY opinion.

provided he stays healthy, we should get 2 really good seasons from him at the very least out of pure spite :D

Dago (7/21/2008)
Shockey has been going down hill ever since 2005 and he will continue to do so whether he is in a Giants uniform or Saints uniform.  Doesn't bother me where he is.  He is a good player, just over rated in MY opinion.

provided he stays healthy, we should get 2 really good seasons from him at the very least out of pure spite :D

Provided is the key word!

Dago (7/21/2008)

I wish you had traded for  CB. WIth Vilma and Ellis your D is really improved, except for the secondary. It may be enough to Stuff Tampa Bay, but the road to the SB this year is going through Dallas, and you have to stop the pass to beat them. It will be easier with the pass rush you will have going up front (really like your D line), but people learned from the giants last year. Teams with good O-lines are going to play them nasty.

rhourk (7/22/2008)
Dago (7/21/2008)

I wish you had traded for  CB. WIth Vilma and Ellis your D is really improved, except for the secondary. It may be enough to Stuff Tampa Bay, but the road to the SB this year is going through Dallas, and you have to stop the pass to beat them. It will be easier with the pass rush you will have going up front (really like your D line), but people learned from the giants last year. Teams with good O-lines are going to play them nasty.

I hope the hype surrounding this builds the Saints confidence because we know they never live up to expectations!