Just saw an UnderArmor commercial featuring Kerney....

ol'_dirty2

Statick (7/21/2008)
He wanted to leave.

You can't keep anyone who wants out.

I agree with you. I think he saw the s#!t storm that was about to come in 2007.

Not only that, but by all information at the time, it was right for the team also. He is getting older, coming off of an injury, and would demand a larger contract than what he'd likely be able to preform up to. Making it a practice to sign those guys will bite you in the donkey more often than it will make you look bad for not signing them.

I liked him a lot, and hated to see him go and have a great season with another team, but I really can't fault the front office for not being able to retain him.

rugger8 (7/21/2008)
Statick (7/21/2008)
He wanted to leave.

I agree with you. I think he saw the s#!t storm that was about to come in 2007.

Not only that, but by all information at the time, it was right for the team also. He is getting older, coming off of an injury, and would demand a larger contract than what he'd likely be able to preform up to. Making it a practice to sign those guys will bite you in the donkey more often than it will make you look bad for not signing them.

I liked him a lot, and hated to see him go and have a great season with another team, but I really can't fault the front office for not being able to retain him.

Yeah, he'd have gotten injured right after we signed him for a mega deal. We couldn't give him what he was asking for. It just sucks. But hey, water under the bridge...troubled water, but water nonetheless.

bozoatl (7/21/2008)
Statick (7/21/2008)
He wanted to leave.

Exactly. People keep posting that ATL didn't want Kerney, and let him go. Kerney chose to go and he took SEA's offer. Nothing the Falcons could do.

AND IT'S NOT AN INDITEMENT AGAINST KERNEY OR THE FALCONS, IT'S JUST THE NATURE OF THE BUSINESS.   :)