Jeremy Shockey to the Saints

Goat

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8364800?MSNHPHMA
Jeremy Shockey has finally gotten his wish.

Fantasy Football

Features include:

The Giants have agreed to trade their disgruntled tight end to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal is pending league approval, according to a league source. Shockey must also pass a physical.

The compensation is the same the Saints offered New York back in April prior and during to the draft ... and it was turned down.

The move comes one day after Jason Taylor was traded from Miami to New York's NFC East rivals in Washington. According to a report on SI.com, the Giants had held discussions about a three-team trade in which they would have ended up with Taylor, the Saints would have landed Shockey and the Dolphins would have received a pair of draft picks.

The emergence of rookie Kevin Boss during the Giants' improbable Super Bowl run a stretch Shockey missed due to a broken leg made Shockey expendable. Boss started six games after Shockey's injury (two regular season and all four during the Giants' postseason run), making nine catches for 140 yards and a TD.

Shockey's attitude made the move somewhat necessary as the Giants sought to avoid distractions from their bid to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

During the team's recent minicamp, Shockey reportedly engaged in a shouting match with GM Jerry Reese, just the latest controversy involving the outspoken former first-round pick out of the University of Miami.

Shockey's absence in Phoenix during the Super Bowl was conspicuous to say the least. According to some reports, one of the many sources of Shockey's displeasure with the team was that he was not allowed to stand on the team's sidelines during the game.

In the past, Shockey also had less-than-complimentary things to say about his quarterback, Eli Manning. In fact, many have theorized that Manning's transformation from a middle-of-the-pack quarterback to a Super Bowl MVP was facilitated by Shockey's absence.

Thoughts or comments?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No use sweating about Shockey going to the Saints: it is what it is.  We can't do anything about it except hope that our defense will rise to the occasion and limit his productivity.

Cheer up fellow Falcon fans: maybe Shockey will flunk the physical--after all, I heard that he stayed up all night studying for his urine test!

:w00t:

Shaud (7/21/2008)
I think the Saints will end up winning the NFC South.

I think so too, they already had the fire power on offense and they added a couple of key pieces on defense (Sedrick Ellis, Jonathan Vilma), and now they have one of the top TE's when healthy.

Shaud (7/21/2008)
I think the Saints will end up winning the NFC South.

Man, this is going to be a crazy division, but not in a good way.  I definitely don't see our Birds winning it this year, but the Panthers, Saints, and Bucs are all mediocre at best.  If NO's defense can atleast be decent, I think they'll win it.

Sun Tzu 7 (7/21/2008)
Here's another thing to think about...

If we run a true cover 2 what is the position that can really mess that coverage up?

If you said Tight End you're right.

That's why we need to make sure we have an LB that can cover a premium TE.

More of a safety issue than linebacker.You might see less 3 wr sets,if they dont the fullback will be out.Safe to say you will see a lot of nickel against the saints.

The better gets better-er lol.. That's a good trade for the Saint's, he's like the missing piece that completes the final puzzle on their offense. Now if coach Payton get's over his spur of the moment bone head playcalls then the Saints will go far. Saints Division Champs in 08

Bill Ferguson (7/21/2008)
I'm glad they got him - abouot time somebody else in our division had to del with thugs. Let him go there and whine - he's a loser who drops a ton of passes

Selah

How is he a thug? Since when did doing a lot of talking make you a thug? Loser? Nah Drops a ton of passes? Nah he's one of the top Tight Ends.

People make up a lot of stuff these days.

ehhh overrated they still have no running game to speak of Bush is looking like a bust and Duece is looking like he may suffer the same fate Jamal Anderson did......

their secondary is still garbage as well.............. not to mention Shockey is a loud mouth show boat who suffered a big time injury last year..................

People are talking about the saints like people talked about the panthers every off season, every move they made a people were like " oh the south is done for now" and they fizzle.

FalconMama (7/21/2008)
atljbo (7/21/2008)
The Saints are looking dangerous...The offense will be very powerful...But the saints DB's still suck tho......

They have a great D-line and the Giants showed us all what you can do with a great D-line and mediocre Db's

I agree... we will see tho... The saints had a weak LB group to but now they have Jonathan Vilma playing MLB....... They are beatable.... but still good....... Sean Payton has to put everything together

atljbo (7/21/2008)
FalconMama (7/21/2008)
atljbo (7/21/2008)
The Saints are looking dangerous...The offense will be very powerful...But the saints DB's still suck tho......

They have a great D-line and the Giants showed us all what you can do with a great D-line and mediocre Db's

I agree... we will see tho... The saints had a weak LB group to but now they have Jonathan Vilma playing MLB....... They are beatable.... but still good....... Sean Payton has to put everything together

Well being beaten and soundly beaten by them the past 2 years, it's a shock that most are taking them so lightly. Excuse me while I get the bad taste out of my mouth.

FalconMama (7/21/2008)

Well being beaten and soundly beaten by them the past 2 years, it's a shock that most are taking them so lightly. Excuse me while I get the bad taste out of my mouth.

I would say whoever is taking them lightly is still hanging on to the theory that the last place team will end up 1st place in this division. That is pretty sad if that is the only reason people think we will be in 1st place.