Vick, Shockley, and Brooking

LOUISVILLEfan

Let me start by saying I'm a software engineer therefore I have some interesting software tools.  I've been logging names of players for awhile now and these 3 are BY FAR the most often used on this board.  Engineers tend to evaluate data on facts rather than emotion, so let's take a look:

The Vick talk is understandable, no one can let it go.  I don't agree with it, but I understand it.  The Brooking and Shockley talk I don't understand.  In Brooking's case, what does he have to do to get eveyone off his back?  By dogging him, you're basically calling 4 coaching staffs idiots.  The guy is there for a reason.  The Shockley talk is even more ridiculous.  First off, who cares who is the #3 QB? 

Bill Cox (7/21/2008)
Let me start by saying I'm a software engineer therefore I have some interesting software tools.  I've been logging names of players for awhile now and these 3 are BY FAR the most often used on this board.  Engineers tend to evaluate data on facts rather than emotion, so let's take a look:

The Vick talk is understandable, no one can let it go.  I don't agree with it, but I understand it.  The Brooking and Shockley talk I don't understand.  In Brooking's case, what does he have to do to get eveyone off his back?  By dogging him, you're basically calling 4 coaching staffs idiots.  The guy is there for a reason.  The Shockley talk is even more ridiculous.  First off, who cares who is the #3 QB? 

When you're QB roster looks like ours:

Redmon/Ryan/Shockley/Harrington...it matters about the No.3, but then again....who's No.1?

Sun Tzu 7 (7/21/2008)
There has always been a hint of racial undertone with Brooking in the past.

Now he's a little long in the tooth and is the 2nd highest paid linebacker in the league or something... so I can understand some of the talk now.

He is not the 2nd highest paid LBer in the league.  He has the 2nd highest cap hit of any LBer in the league.  The reason for that is because he has his original signing bonus and a signing bonus from a restructure both applied to this year's cap hit.  He's making $4.9 million this season including bonuses. 

Lance Briggs is making $8.5 million.  Meanwhile his cap hit is $6.8 million.  That means $1.7 million is getting applied in years he is not getting paid. 

You either look at amount paid for the year or you look at total value of the contract.  You can't look at cap hit because that is entirely based on how the contract is structured, not how much they are compensated.

Lance Briggs contract - 6 years, 36 mil

Ray Lewis - 5 years, 50 mil

Brian Urlacher - 6 years, 56.65 mil

Keith Brooking - 7 years, 41 mil

He is not the 2nd highest paid LBer in the league.  He has the 2nd highest cap hit of any LBer in the league.  The reason for that is because he has his original signing bonus and a signing bonus from a restructure both applied to this year's cap hit.  He's making $4.9 million this season including bonuses. 

Lance Briggs is making $8.5 million.  Meanwhile his cap hit is $6.8 million.  That means $1.7 million is getting applied in years he is not getting paid. 

You either look at amount paid for the year or you look at total value of the contract.  You can't look at cap hit because that is entirely based on how the contract is structured, not how much they are compensated.

I knew it was something like that.

Here's where we disagree.  In the NFL the contracts work differently and the "total value" is a theoretical number that is rarely reached.

Agents usually throw "the 100 million dollar contract" to the media so they can tell other players... "I made Clinton Portis the highest paid running back in NFL history."

However the "total value" of a contract is not restricting in any way shape or form.  How that value is broken down to actual money paid.... aka cap hit... is restrictive.

The total value or Brooking's contract is not preventing us from signing players.... his cap hit is.

Sun Tzu 7 (7/21/2008)

Now he's a little long in the tooth and is the 2nd highest paid linebacker in the league or something... so I can understand some of the talk now.

But not with the other two mentioned right?  :w00t:;)

Vick is an afterthought to me at this point...but he was the most polarizing sports figure of this decade in my view so you're going to have people continue to bring it up.  Brooking is ok, but nowhere near as good as some seem to think he is.  I do think race plays a factor in that debate just like it did with Vick and it usually goes down color lines.  The guy is a good OLB who has been forced to play in the middle for too many years.  That said, for the amount of hype some give him you would expect him to be a game changing LB...and I don't know that he ever really has been.

slamee101 (7/21/2008)
Vick is an afterthought to me at this point...but he was the most polarizing sports figure of this decade in my view so you're going to have people continue to bring it up.  Brooking is ok, but nowhere near as good as some seem to think he is.  I do think race plays a factor in that debate just like it did with Vick and it usually goes down color lines.  The guy is a good OLB who has been forced to play in the middle for too many years.  That said, for the amount of hype some give him you would expect him to be a game changing LB...and I don't know that he ever really has been.

Yeah...being forced to play the middle hurt is reputation a little.  I'm excited to see him back at weakside LB...:cool:

Magic Man (7/21/2008)
So the thing they have in common is they get talked about a lot on the board? 

MOSTLY BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEIR OWN AGENDAS ...... NOT THE FALCONS AGENDA, BUT THEIR OWN AGENDA. THATS WHAT HAPPENS ON MESSAGE BOARDS. BILL COX .... YOU HAVE YOUR OWN AGENDAS TOO. MOST OF US DO TO SOME EXTENT.:)

Shaud (7/21/2008)
Bill Cox (7/21/2008)
The Shockley talk is even more ridiculous.  First off, who cares who is the #3 QB? 
Agreed
People looking towards DA FUTURE!!!:cool:  hey DJ could easily become 2nd string. no offense, but Redman showed something in HIS OLD OFFENSE!!! Of course he is gonna be good in an offense he knew is college and was amazing in, but now we are in a different offense, one thats like DJ's Old offense.

GEORGIAfan (7/21/2008)
Shaud (7/21/2008)
Bill Cox (7/21/2008)
The Shockley talk is even more ridiculous.  First off, who cares who is the #3 QB? 
Agreed
People looking towards DA FUTURE!!!:cool:  hey DJ could easily become 2nd string. no offense, but Redman showed something in HIS OLD OFFENSE!!! Of course he is gonna be good in an offense he knew is college and was amazing in, but now we are in a different offense, one thats like DJ's Old offense.

And Shockley could easily be cut.

Shaud (7/21/2008)
GEORGIAfan (7/21/2008)
Shaud (7/21/2008)
Bill Cox (7/21/2008)
Agreed

And Shockley could easily be cut.

why you got to cut me down like that bro. cmon we suppose to be koo. dont pull a TO on my again.:w00t: aint you suppose to save me now, i might not be a Sports writer, but i could be one.

GEORGIAfan (7/21/2008)
Shaud (7/21/2008)
Bill Cox (7/21/2008)
The Shockley talk is even more ridiculous. First off, who cares who is the #3 QB?
Agreed
People looking towards DA FUTURE!!!:cool: hey DJ could easily become 2nd string. no offense, but Redman showed something in HIS OLD OFFENSE!!! Of course he is gonna be good in an offense he knew is college and was amazing in, but now we are in a different offense, one thats like DJ's Old offense.

I've been away from the forums for just a little while and wouldn't ya know it look what happens!!!!!:D:w00t:

Comeon GEORGIAFan, DJ SHOCKLEY IS 'DA FUTURE!!! I miss that in your post! I guess a lot has changed since I've been away, but I'm not gonna rule him out.

"DJ SHOCKLEY, MIGHT BE 'DA FUTURE"! :D

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Tzu 7 (7/21/2008)
He is not the 2nd highest paid LBer in the league. He has the 2nd highest cap hit of any LBer in the league. The reason for that is because he has his original signing bonus and a signing bonus from a restructure both applied to this year's cap hit. He's making $4.9 million this season including bonuses.

Lance Briggs is making $8.5 million. Meanwhile his cap hit is $6.8 million. That means $1.7 million is getting applied in years he is not getting paid.

You either look at amount paid for the year or you look at total value of the contract. You can't look at cap hit because that is entirely based on how the contract is structured, not how much they are compensated.

I knew it was something like that.

Here's where we disagree. In the NFL the contracts work differently and the "total value" is a theoretical number that is rarely reached.

Agents usually throw "the 100 million dollar contract" to the media so they can tell other players... "I made Clinton Portis the highest paid running back in NFL history."

However the "total value" of a contract is not restricting in any way shape or form. How that value is broken down to actual money paid.... aka cap hit... is restrictive.

The total value or Brooking's contract is not preventing us from signing players.... his cap hit is.

Tell me. .which players have we not signed because of Brooking? Can you name one?

slamee101 (7/21/2008)
Sun Tzu 7 (7/21/2008)

But not with the other two mentioned right?  :w00t:;)

:laugh::hehe::w00t:

Shaud (7/21/2008)
Bill Cox (7/21/2008)
The Shockley talk is even more ridiculous. First off, who cares who is the #3 QB?
Agreed

lol I can honestly say the only reason I even semi care about what's going on with Shockley is because I like using mobile QB's in Madden. Other than that I don't care what they do with him, so just do what's best for the team.