Defensive End

atljbo

6'1 267lbs DE Willie Evans

SCOUTING REPORT: Defensive end prospect Willie Evans was one of the stars of offseason workouts. Evans showed speed rushing from both the left and right sides. He has an above average first step and is a relentless battler.

6'4 260lbs DE Brandon Miller

No Georgia player helped himself more at last month s Pro Day than defensive end Brandon Miller, according to Dave Van Halanger, the Bulldogs strength and conditioning coach ....... Defensive end/linebacker Brandon Miller may have helped himself by running in the 4.5 range in the 40 and doing 24 reps on the bench press

6'3 246lbs DE Kroy Biermann

Enough Said

6'2 271lbs DE Chauncey Davis

A good backup DE.... good against the run

6'6 274lbs DE Simon Fraser

Another good run stopping DE but he can also move in and play DT

6'5 282lbs DE Jamaal Anderson

Anderson was good against the run but not so good against the pass (pass rushing)...... I think Anderson will have a way better year caping it off with 6 sacks...... Jamaal Anderson is another guy who could mave inside to the UT position

6'4 266lbs DE John Abraham

1of the best DE in the league.... everyone knows about his pass rushing ability but abe run stopping ability is on point to..... Abe will continue to play on a probowl level.....

I dont think our pass rushing will be a big problem..... I do worry about our DT position...... we gave up over 127 yds a game on the ground....

We need Curtis Lofton signed before training camp begins... He is very stout against the run

I know Lofton is a headhunter in space and seems to read the plays well in college.  I was just wondering at @236 is he stout against the run in the middle?  I have seen him drive a few guys back and stand them up but just curious how that translates to the NFL..  How well do you think he sheds the blocks and makes the stop?  Just curious.  Before the draft I will be honest and say that he was not on my radar during the last college season.  I was a lot more focused on QB's.

Thanks for any input.  I know there are a number of people excited to see what he can do.  The need for a true MILB has been missing since Tuggle, no offense to Brooking but we need an enforcer especially with the DT's being questionable.

peter griffin (7/20/2008)
biermann actually reminds me of abraham, with all the forced fumbles. i am worried that biermann will get flagged a lot for roughing the passer even on sacks the way he threw so many QB's to the ground.
Lofton is 248, he gained some weight/muscle for NFL IMO.

phattywankenobi (7/20/2008)
I know Lofton is a headhunter in space and seems to read the plays well in college. I was just wondering at @236 is he stout against the run in the middle? I have seen him drive a few guys back and stand them up but just curious how that translates to the NFL.. How well do you think he sheds the blocks and makes the stop? Just curious. Before the draft I will be honest and say that he was not on my radar during the last college season. I was a lot more focused on QB's.

Thanks for any input. I know there are a number of people excited to see what he can do. The need for a true MILB has been missing since Tuggle, no offense to Brooking but we need an enforcer especially with the DT's being questionable.

Bruh.... Lofton is 6'0 248lbs.... thats stout..... plus just look at the way he plays

GEORGIAfan (7/20/2008)
why do we have Miller. i think he is a joke, and should be cut. he wasnt even a DE when VanGorder was around. He was still a LB. a sorry LB. i hope he gets cut. we should have kept Carrington!!!
He'll probably just be a scout team player and get cut by the time teams have to slim their rosters down to 53.

GEORGIAfan (7/20/2008)
why do we have Miller. i think he is a joke, and should be cut. he wasnt even a DE when VanGorder was around. He was still a LB. a sorry LB. i hope he gets cut. we should have kept Carrington!!!

UGA never found areal position for him....... He went from starting MLB and key to the defense in pre season. Then splitting time at OLB during the year and then was moved to DE.... he has quickness and explosion but has never had a real position..........

If the coaching staff can pull his potential out...... Dude can be a gem but unless he have a amazing training camp.... he will be a practice squad guy untill that potential is tapped

I think we should draft michael johnson next year....Abe will be 31 next season, he has a history of injuries, and if Jammal doesnt pan out, we'll need some insurance.

we should draft these guys next year.

1.Michael Johnson, DE

2.Al Woods DT

3.Herman Johnson G.....we may have to trade up for him, but ill give up a 4th maybe a 4th and a 5th to trade up into the second, and get this monster of a guard

Maybe sign that tackle from cincy and we got a solid team

Sign me up for the fans who are more worried about our DT's than our DE's.

I mean I am REALLY worried about this position. But I am just trusting our coaching staff knows what they have, and is confident they can get the job done.

I am excited about Lofton also, but people around here have underestimated the difficulty a MLB faces if the DT's in the front of him can't keep O-lineman off of him. Lofton's success in the middle will still largely rest on the success of the DT's in front of him.

atljbo (7/20/2008)
phattywankenobi (7/20/2008)
I know Lofton is a headhunter in space and seems to read the plays well in college. I was just wondering at @236 is he stout against the run in the middle? I have seen him drive a few guys back and stand them up but just curious how that translates to the NFL.. How well do you think he sheds the blocks and makes the stop? Just curious. Before the draft I will be honest and say that he was not on my radar during the last college season. I was a lot more focused on QB's.

Thanks for any input. I know there are a number of people excited to see what he can do. The need for a true MILB has been missing since Tuggle, no offense to Brooking but we need an enforcer especially with the DT's being questionable.

Bruh.... Lofton is 6'0 248lbs.... thats stout..... plus just look at the way he plays

Got it.  I was looking at his combine wait of 238, which makes since they drop as much as they can for speed.

peter griffin (7/20/2008)
biermann actually reminds me of abraham, with all the forced fumbles. i am worried that biermann will get flagged a lot for roughing the passer even on sacks the way he threw so many QB's to the ground.

Doesnt he. They are saying the same things about him that they said about Abraham. His college tape shows that he is strong at the POA, he can penetrate the backfield and his speed is impressive. Im ready to see him in pre-season line up against some NFL players.

What I like the most about him is his motor and his ball-hawking mentality. When he goes after players he is thinking tackle but he is also thinking turnover when the opportunity presents itself. We need more guys thinking attack the ball instead of just settling for tackles. We are gonna get beat sometimes this year so we might as well take some chances and try to force fumbles and get picks

FalconFanForLife (7/21/2008)

I mean I am REALLY worried about this position. But I am just trusting our coaching staff knows what they have, and is confident they can get the job done.

I am excited about Lofton also, but people around here have underestimated the difficulty a MLB faces if the DT's in the front of him can't keep O-lineman off of him. Lofton's success in the middle will still largely rest on the success of the DT's in front of him.

so tell me, if Abraham goes down, what is the bigger problem DT or DE??

Having another DE like johnson, or even Selvie depending on who's ranked better is very important in my opinion. Im all for drafting a DT, but thier really arent any really highly ranked NT's. Now if Sam Baker has a horrible rookie season, and shows no potential, then OT would have to be the pick

The H.N.I.C. 2! (7/22/2008)

Having another DE like johnson, or even Selvie depending on who's ranked better is very important in my opinion. Im all for drafting a DT, but thier really arent any really highly ranked NT's. Now if Sam Baker has a horrible rookie season, and shows no potential, then OT would have to be the pick

I see qwhat your saying but DT will still be the number 1 need..... The Thing is there should be a couple of really good DT in the 2nd round.... I really like 6'7 255lbs Michael Johnson... The thing is , unless Michael Johnson have like 20 sacks then run a 4.4 - 4.5 40....... i dont see him being a top 10 pick...... If Michael Johnson have a amazing year this year.... Johnson will only have 1 year of production on his record (this will be his first year starter)..... Jamaal Anderson was going to slip out of the top 10 for the same reason , but we had to reach a little because DE was a need

Plus DE is not a big need.... Abe has not slowed down at all ... We have Abe on contract till the 2012 offseason ..... John Abraham deal is a steal..... We signed him to a 6 year, $45 million contract, $12.5 million signing bonus...... compare that to Charles Grant 7 year, $63 million contract. $20 million in guarantees..

But yea.... the only way i can see us drafting Michael Johnson is if the Coaching staff choose to move Jamaal Anderson inside to UT(full time)....i dont see that happening......

atljbo (7/22/2008)

I see qwhat your saying but DT will still be the number 1 need..... The Thing is there should be a couple of really good DT in the 2nd round.... I really like 6'7 255lbs Michael Johnson... The thing is , unless Michael Johnson have like 20 sacks then run a 4.4 - 4.5 40....... i dont see him being a top 10 pick...... If Michael Johnson have a amazing year this year.... Johnson will only have 1 year of production on his record (this will be his first year starter)..... Jamaal Anderson was going to slip out of the top 10 for the same reason , but we had to reach a little because DE was a need

Plus DE is not a big need.... Abe has not slowed down at all ... We have Abe on contract till the 2012 offseason ..... John Abraham deal is a steal..... We signed him to a 6 year, $45 million contract, $12.5 million signing bonus...... compare that to Charles Grant 7 year, $63 million contract. $20 million in guarantees..

But yea.... the only way i can see us drafting Michael Johnson is if the Coaching staff choose to move Jamaal Anderson inside to UT(full time)....i dont see that happening......

i didnt realize we had abraham for that long......i still think we need to draft a guy, maybe bierman is that guy, to replace abe in the long run.

I dont think DT is going to be as big of a problem as some think.....We got babs, who has shown some promise, we got good depth, and at NT we got 2 maybe 3 guys we can rotate that would be decent....If trey lewis recovers, the gives us lewis, moore, and stanley who could be good pluggers in the middle. I think DT will be adressed through FA next year, or with a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick, i think we will go OT in the long run next year, even if sam plays well

i didnt realize we had abraham for that long......i still think we need to draft a guy, maybe bierman is that guy, to replace abe in the long run.

I dont think DT is going to be as big of a problem as some think.....We got babs, who has shown some promise, we got good depth, and at NT we got 2 maybe 3 guys we can rotate that would be decent....If trey lewis recovers, the gives us lewis, moore, and stanley who could be good pluggers in the middle. I think DT will be adressed through FA next year, or with a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick, i think we will go OT in the long run next year, even if sam plays well

i agree..... I think that We will go OT in the 1st round.... After the 2009 Draft our O-Line should be 80% completed with Sam Baker... Justin Blalock.... Tyson Clabo...... 2009 rookie ( Andre Smith)........ We could also just decide to sign a freeagent OT like 6'7 342lbs Stacy Andrews or 6'7 332lbs Max Starks, and use that first round pick on something else...... The one thing no one has thought of is that maybe our O-Line come together nicely under Paul Boudreau watch.....

We cant know for sure till after the season