Mods..can we get a Batman Dark Knight forum?

I will agree on one condition: We can also get a **** politics forum.:P

But, I highly doubt this film will be forgotten. It isn't just a movie about a dude who dresses up like a bat and another dude who dresses up like a clown who fight. It is an epic crime drama and psychological thriller, something that Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were nowhere close to being, or could ever hope to be. Those two movies were action/comic book movies. This was anything but. Movies like The Dark Knight are not easily forgotten, especially when they are on the verge of breaking every single box office record ever held.

Headshot (7/20/2008)

But, I highly doubt this film will be forgotten. It isn't just a movie about a dude who dresses up like a bat and another dude who dresses up like a clown who fight. It is an epic crime drama and psychological thriller, something that Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were nowhere close to being, or could ever hope to be. Those two movies were action/comic book movies. This was anything but. Movies like The Dark Knight are not easily forgotten, especially when they are on the verge of breaking every single box office record ever held.

When you put it like that, it just sounds so stu -- awesome. I'm gonna go see it for a third time.. Okay, probably not, but because I can't afford to, not because I don't want to.

Dem Birds Can Fly (7/20/2008)
Headshot (7/20/2008)

When you put it like that, it just sounds so stu -- awesome. I'm gonna go see it for a third time.. Okay, probably not, but because I can't afford to, not because I don't want to.

Yeah I saw it Friday night and then again Saturday night with my brother. I plan on seeing it one more time in IMAX, as I've never seen a movie in IMAX before.

FalconFansince80 (7/20/2008)
I really cant understand all the hoopla about a film thats been milked to death. 2 months from now it will be forgotten. Just like the Hulk. And Iron Man.

You're insane if you think this movie will be forgotten. I never hype up ANYTHING, but this movie was easily one of the best I have ever seen. It was a 2 and a half hour movie that grips you by the neck every second. That's extremely rare, even the Godfather had several scenes where you felt like taking a nap until the next one.

Remarkable (7/20/2008)
I really cant understand all the hoopla about a film thats been milked to death. 2 months from now it will be forgotten. Just like the Hulk. And Iron Man.

You're insane if you think this movie will be forgotten. I never hype up ANYTHING, but this movie was easily one of the best I have ever seen. It was a 2 and a half hour movie that grips you by the neck every second. That's extremely rare, even the Godfather had several scenes where you felt like taking a nap until the next one.

I am asking an honest question. My wife is a big Batman movie series fan, she has all of them, but she is not even interested in this one. Is the hype because one of the stars died a few months ago? If Heath Ledger does not die, are we even talking about this movie?

me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)

I am asking an honest question. My wife is a big Batman movie series fan, she has all of them, but she is not even interested in this one. Is the hype because one of the stars died a few months ago? If Heath Ledger does not die, are we even talking about this movie?

The talk of what Heath Ledger was doing started months before he passed away. He finished filming his scenes before the rest of the movie was finished filming, and all anyone could talk about was how special Ledger's Joker was going to be.

Yes, I am sure that some people will find brilliance in his performance because it was his last movie, but I found brilliance in it because it was brilliant. It's up there with Hannibal Lecter, and FAR surpasses anything Jack Nicholson could have ever even hoped of doing.

If your wife is a huge Batman fan (And a real Batman fan, I'm not talking about a fan of those horribly stupid movies with Jim Carrey and Arnold Swarzanegger and Tommy Lee Jones) and is uninterested in this movie, then she's not a Batman fan, plain and simple. This is the REAL Batman, this isn't Clooney in a mask.

me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)

If your wife owns Batman and Robin but doesn't want to see TDK then she is either a huge Clooney fan or she has zero taste in movies. She clearly has zero taste in men.

me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)

If Ledger was still alive he would have still gotten awesome praise for his acting...In fact when i was watching the movie I completely forgot Ledger was dead (because I was so into the movie) and I was still amazed and creeped out by the joker, It wasnt till the movie was over that I was like ****...Heath Ledger is dead.

Remarkable (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)

If your wife owns Batman and Robin but doesn't want to see TDK then she is either a huge Clooney fan or she has zero taste in movies. She clearly has zero taste in men.

Was a personal insult to me and my wife even neccessary? Headshot, I will tell her to give it a shot, but to all of you who say she is "not a real Batman fan". You have no idea what you are talking about. We are older and maybe that is part of it. But rest assured she is a fan. I, however, have never seen one of them. 

Remarkable (7/20/2008)
They were completely necessary and being "older" is all the more reason to see TDK over the previous Batman movies that were nothing more than live action cartoons.

To prove my point I will point out that we all know who is playing the joker is in this film, but the hoopla usually surrounds who is playing batman. Who is playing Batman?

me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)

Umm. Yes. Does that answer your question?

me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)
They were completely necessary and being "older" is all the more reason to see TDK over the previous Batman movies that were nothing more thanlive action cartoons.

To prove my point I will point out thatwe all know who is playing the joker is in this film, but the hoopla usually surrounds who is playing batman. Who is playing Batman?

Christian Bale isn't exactly unknown nor new to the role. Villains almost ALWAYS outshine the hero.

Guest Gritz

Not a big comic book guy....not even a huge fan of movies about figures from comic books and/or graphic novels......but my wife and I just got back from DK......

It's freakin' awesome...one of the best movies I have ever seen....and yes, people would still be going ga-ga over Ledger's performance even if he was still with us. He was and always will be the ultimate Joker.

Nolan ought to retire the character in subsequent Batman films because I can't see anyone expanding on Ledger's performance....

Oh, and Christian Bale is now doing laps around any other actors who have ever sported the black pointed cowl......;)

me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)
They were completely necessary and being "older" is all the more reason to see TDK over the previous Batman movies that were nothing more than live action cartoons.

To prove my point I will point out that we all know who is playing the joker is in this film, but the hoopla usually surrounds who is playing batman. Who is playing Batman?

Christian Bale, but for the sake of argument, let's just assume that you really didn't know that.

Does your wife own Batman Begins or is she just a fan of the campy versions of Batman? She won't need to have seen it to enjoy this movie, but it adds much more to the characters of both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Batman Begins is about just what the title implies- the beginning of Batman. How he comes to be the symbol that he is and what motivates him to even take on that task, and focuses largely on the Bruce Wayne aspect of his personality, and how being Batman at night affects being a billionaire businessman by day.

The Dark Knight is the complete opposite. It focuses on his evolution into Batman, as more and more of his original personality begin to slowly fade away. By the end of the movie you are left with the distinct impression that Bruce Wayne is the alter-ego, not Batman. It's almost as if he resents that he's a world famous billionaire, because being such creates limits and boundaries that he can't afford to cross given his stature in the world.

Like I said, it's not just a comic book movie. It is an epic crime saga and a psychological thriller in the vale of fantastical characters set in a dark, fictitious city, but it really feels absolutely nothing like a comic book movie.

Tell her she should definitely give it a try. It's making millions of dollars, there has to be something to it. I understand that not everyone is interested in the same things, but there is no reason to not atleast watch it.  

Headshot (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)
They were completely necessary and being "older" is all the more reason to see TDK over the previous Batman movies that were nothing more thanlive action cartoons.

To prove my point I will point out thatwe all know who is playing the joker is in this film, but the hoopla usually surrounds who is playing batman. Who is playing Batman?

Christian Bale, but for the sake of argument, let's just assume that you really didn't know that.

Does your wife own Batman Begins or is she just a fan of the campy versions of Batman? She won't need to have seen it to enjoy this movie, but it adds much more to the characters of both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Batman Begins is about just what the title implies- the beginning of Batman. How he comes to be the symbol that he is and what motivates him to even take on that task, and focuses largely on the Bruce Wayne aspect of his personality, and how being Batman at night affects being a billionaire businessman by day.

The Dark Knight is the complete opposite. It focuses on his evolution into Batman, as more and more of his original personality begin to slowly fade away. By the end of the movie you are left with the distinct impression that Bruce Wayne is the alter-ego, not Batman. It's almost as if he resents that he's a world famous billionaire, because being such creates limits and boundaries that he can't afford to cross given his stature in the world.

Like I said, it's not just a comic book movie. It is an epic crime saga and a psychological thriller in the vale of fantastical characters set in a dark, fictitious city, but it really feels absolutely nothing like a comic book movie.

Tell her she should definitely give it a try. It's making millions of dollars, there has to be something to it. I understand that not everyone is interested in the same things, but there is no reason to notatleast watch it.

There are campy versions of Batman?

batman300.jpg

Headshot (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)

Tell her she should definitely give it a try. It's making millions of dollars, there has to be something to it. I understand that not everyone is interested in the same things, but there is no reason to atleast watch it.  

I am talking to her. She read your post and she informed me she was going to see it in the first place. She told me to tell you she does have Batman Begins and she also loves Jack Nicholsons portrayal of the joker. He least favorite Batman is the second one or the one with the penguine.

me51 (7/20/2008)
Headshot (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
Remarkable (7/20/2008)

Tell her she should definitely give it a try. It's making millions of dollars, there has to be something to it. I understand that not everyone is interested in the same things, but there is no reason to atleast watch it.  

I am talking to her. She read your post and she informed me she was going to see it in the first place. She told me to tell you she does have Batman Begins and she also loves Jack Nicholsons portrayal of the joker. He least favorite Batman is the second one or the one with the penguine.

nicholson's joker was great.  i liked his portrayal of that character, and it suited that movie well.  however, ledger's is completely different, and it is beyond perfect for the new tone these movies are setting.  it's hard to compare them because they are so different and they had to be due to the differences in the movies, but ledger's portrayal was as good as i've ever seen for a villain.