Dark Knight Scores The Biggest Opening Day Ever

Headshot

9576.jpgWe re only one day into its release and, as predicted, The Dark Knight is already shattering every previous box office record. In the wee hours of Friday morning it broke every existing record for midnight showing attendance, and by the time Friday was over Batman had broken every opening day and single day box office record as well.

In one day, Friday, The Dark Knight raked in a stunning $66 million, according to Box Office Mojo. That gives it the record for biggest opening day of all time, and biggest single day of all time, handily defeating the previous record holder, Spider-Man 3, which only had $59.8 million.

Bataranging into the rest of the weekend, it looks like The Dark Knight is well on its way to becoming the biggest movie of all time. With showings sold out through Sunday in most of the nation s movie theaters, and with many moviegoers going back for second and third showings after discovering the film actually lives up to the hype, breaking Spider-Man 3s previous $151.1 opening weekend record should be a snap. $66 million down, only a paltry $85 million to go.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like a huge batman guy wrote that snippet and not sure what the guy is saying, but i have been to a few threaters today and the batman shows were not sold out and definately not sold out for sunday either.. I hope it breaks all the records, but I wonder where he is getting that data from regarding sunday showings. I asked about that today and I was told tomorrow's showings weren't closed to being sold out.

SacFalcFan (7/19/2008)
sounds like a huge batman guy wrote that snippet and not sure what the guy is saying, but i have been to a few threaters today and the batman shows were not sold out and definately not sold out for sunday either.. I hope it breaks all the records, but I wonder where he is getting that data from regarding sunday showings. I asked about that today and I was told tomorrow's showings weren't closed to being sold out.

I think it depends on where you go, I went for a second time today (yes I enjoyed it that much) and it was a 2 oclock showing and it was almost completley full. PLUS there was 2 other cinemas playing it.

I went to the 1:50 showing today and there was hardly anyone in the lobby or outside of the theater but by the time the movie started the theater was packed.

We bought the tickets yesterday and the tickets said auditorium 1 on it, so when we got there right at 1:50 and were completely alone in the theater I was surprised. Then I went outside to see what it said at the top of the door at it was the 2:20 showing of Mama Mia. The two dudes cleaning the theater must have thought we were the gayest group of guys (the girls weren't even there yet) ever showing up 30 minutes early for Mama Mia.

tipp78 (7/19/2008)
SacFalcFan (7/19/2008)

I think it depends on where you go, I went for a second time today (yes I enjoyed it that much) and it was a2 oclock showing and it was almost completley full. PLUS there was 2 other cinemas playing it.

I went to the 1:30PM showing and it was barely 1/3 full. I talked to a few ticket agents at two locations and was told what I stated above. I loved the movie and I hope it breaks all the records, but I just didn't see that at the two locations today. As you said it must be the area you are in.

SacFalcFan (7/20/2008)
tipp78 (7/19/2008)
SacFalcFan (7/19/2008)

I think it depends on where you go, I went for a second time today (yes I enjoyed it that much) and it was a2 oclock showing and it was almost completley full. PLUS there was 2 other cinemas playing it.

I went to the 1:30PM showing and it was barely 1/3 full. I talked to a few ticket agents at two locations and was told what I stated above. I loved the movie and I hope it breaks all the records, but I just didn't see that at the two locations today. As you said it must be the area you are in.

yeah here at the Boardwalk in Shreveport it's on 6 screens and I went to the show around 4PM on Friday and there was about 40 people in out theater so I'd say it was 1/6 full<---that's a guesstimate

yeah i think it just depends where you are. i went in the morning with a few friends and it was about 1/3-1/2 full but when we came out there was a line the length of the theater hallway to get into the 12 pm showing.

and i am definately in the 2 or 3 viewings category. i am going again in the next week and if that isnt on the imax then im going to go see it on the imax. at LEAST one more time and at least one time in an imax theater.

Dem Birds Can Fly (7/19/2008)
I've given my 15 bucks to this movie in 2 days, a 6:30 show yesterday and a 5:30 show today, neither were sold out but still pretty full. Glad that this is going to be the biggest movie in history, it deserves it.

Beating Titanic? Would be great if it does so, given Titanic had the advantage of being released in theaters multiple times.

We'll see numbers later today, and then see what kind of legs it has.

womfalcs3 (7/20/2008)
Dem Birds Can Fly (7/19/2008)
I've given my 15 bucks to this movie in 2 days, a 6:30 show yesterday and a 5:30 show today, neither were sold out but still pretty full. Glad that this is going to be the biggest movie in history, it deserves it.

Beating Titanic? Would be great if it does so, given Titanic had the advantage of being released in theaters multiple times.

We'll see numbers later today, and then see what kind of legs it has.

yeah we will see how much of a dropoff weekend 1`has to weekend 2 to see it's staying power. I hope it does terrific. I would love to see it beat out titanic.

backnblack (7/20/2008)
I'll probably get out to see this some time but the company it is keeping--Spider Man 3 and Titanic--uh, didn't they both suck wang? It could be good and a cash cow but the two are not really related. Just my two cents.

Spiderman 3 was based on the sucess of the first two and I wouldn't say Titanic sucked - I thought the special effects were outstanding, it was just too long

snake (7/21/2008)
Heath copied this role from a # of people. It is NO great acting job, and he was no great person. He ended up being a junky and killed himself. Why all the adelation over this movie? Why all the love affair with this world topping looser who went wild and let everyone including his child DOWN? This role has been immortalized by great acters, and Heath wasn't even close.

Snake, I've always tried to separate art from the artist. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much art that I could appreciate.

I had no affinity for Ledger going into this movie. The only thing of his I'd seen before was that Knight's Tale which was god awful. I'm also pretty critical, and went in assuming that his performance was over-hyped. He delivered.

I'm not sure who you think he stole from, but I didn't see it. I liked Jack's portrayal when I was younger, but I watched it again just the other day, and there was so little substance to it. Just over the top. Ledger's was certainly not like that, or Romero's, at all.

snake (7/21/2008)
Heath copied this role from a # of people. It is NO great acting job, and he was no great person. He ended up being a junky and killed himself. Why all the adelation over this movie? Why all the love affair with this world topping looser who went wild and let everyone including his child DOWN? This role has been immortalized by great acters, and Heath wasn't even close.

Please tell us who he copied from. I can assure you there has never been a Joker (or really any villian) that comes close to being the same character. None of us know exactly how good or bad a person he was, but it doesn't matter to me when talking about his work. I'm a fan of a ton of actors and athletes who I think suck as people.

snake (7/21/2008)
Yawn. Take your hatred somewhere else. If you're going to make an argument that he "copied" the role, you need to be prepared to back it up.

kicker23 (7/21/2008)
snake (7/21/2008)
Yawn. Take your hatred somewhere else. If you're going to make an argument that he "copied" the role, you need to be prepared to back it up.

Now you know snake has NEVER been prepared to back up any cut and paste arguments he posts. What would make us think this would be any different? ;)

backnblack (7/20/2008)
I'll probably get out to see this some time but the company it is keeping--Spider Man 3 and Titanic--uh, didn't they both suck wang? It could be good and a cash cow but the two are not really related. Just my two cents.

I wasn't that big a fan of S3 and Titanic blowed...

But Batman: The Dark Knight, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed.

snake (7/21/2008)

He didn't "copy" anything from anyone. He spent a month in a hotel room with some Joker comic books and did nothing but work on the voice, the mannerisms, and the psychology of the role he was playing. It's what all great actors do, they immerse themselves into the roles they're playing. Johnny Depp did it with Jack Sparrow, Anthony Hopkins did it with Hannibal Lecter, Christian Bale did it with Batman. I'm not sure where you are getting the impression that he stole it from anyone, I'd love to see you name ONE role that even remotely reminds you of Ledger's Joker. 

If you want to talk about the look, then that's another thing, but then again, Heath did not come up with the look, the make-up department and writers came up with the look. His look was taken from a number of different inspirations, such as Sid Vicious, Brandon Lee in The Crow, Conrad Veidt who played the clown with the carved smile in a 1928 movie called The Man Who Laughs and Alice Cooper.

As far as Ledger being a junkie, according to everyone that ever knew him (which does NOT include you, BTW) he was anything but. Some of them said the only thing he ever cared about was his daughter, and talked about her constantly. Was he depressed over his divorce with Michelle WIlliams, yeah I'm sure he was. Did he want to kill himself because of it? I would guess not.

He had prescription pills that were given to him legally through a doctor, and somehow he got prescribed pills that no one doctor would ever give to a patient at the same time. Toxicology showed that he did not have a lethal amount of drugs in his system, but with the pills mixed together they ended up being lethal. Should he have been taking all those pills together? No, but I doubt he thought they were going to kill him, thus I am inclined to believe that, like doctors have concluded, it was an accidental overdose.