PFT's New Power Rankings

silentbob1272

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/18/...rankings-no-32/

Ouch, I seem to remember them ranking The Giants fairly low last year though, so who knows. Take it for what it's worth.

PRESEASON POWER RANKINGS: NO. 32

Posted by Mike Florio on July 18, 2008, 11:42 p.m. EDT

We begin our review of NFL training camps and whatnot by looking at the team we currently regard as the worst franchise in the National Football League.

This one was easy. The Atlanta Falcons.

The Falcons seem to be destined for a horrible season in 2008. It should be every bit as bad as 2007, but without a quarterback destined for prison.

That s really the only good news for the team, the absence of a felony indictment for its starting quarterback.

Everything else is bad. Real bad. New head coach Mike Smith is a guy who never previously got a sniff in any other NFL city. G.M. Tom Dimitroff might have the chops to get the job done, but he was hired without a face-to-face interview, even as the Falcons were taking a herd of font-office personnel to interviews of other candidates.

One positive development is that former G.M. Rich McKay has been supplanted. It would be even better if McKay were out of the organization.

On the field, the biggest acqusition was a running back who has spent his career as second banana to LaDainian Tomlinson. Though Michael Turner might very well be able to perform as the starter, they likely could have found a player of equivalent ability for a much smaller financial investment.

Then there was the draft. Desperate to put a new face on the franchise and (more importantly) to have a long-term presence at the quarterback position in order to block an eventual return by Mike Vick, the Falcons used the No. 3 overall pick on Matt Ryan even though possible Warren Sapp-style defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey was still on the board.

If Ryan can t start as a rookie, the alternatives are Chris Redman and Joey Harrington. Ugh.

One year after the Dolphins nearly became the first 0-16 team in NFL history, the Falcons could be in contention to finish the job. If so, it would be a dramatic fall for Dimitroff, who was with the 16-0 Patriots before taking the job in Atlanta.

I can't wait to stomp the dog mess out of the NFL this year.  Especially if every team believes we are the worst team in the league they are going to get a rude awakening.  We might not be elite, or even middle of the pack but dead last is an insult and I can't wait till ESPN treats us like the Devil Rays of this year.

No bump that I don't want any respect, I want every team to look at their calender and mark off the Falcons as a win, then leave the field that week bloodied and bruised with a big fat L.

ironhead56 (7/19/2008)
What about the chefs and the raider., or the panthers.

what about the rams... they picked BEFORE us  in the draft yet you never hear the vile about them you hear about us.......... the Media NEVER have given us the  repeect that they give others teams who have done equally as poor

ltstorm1 (7/19/2008)
I can't wait to stomp the dog mess out of the NFL this year.  Especially if every team believes we are the worst team in the league they are going to get a rude awakening.  We might not be elite, or even middle of the pack but dead last is an insult and I can't wait till ESPN treats us like the Devil Rays of this year.

No bump that I don't want any respect, I want every team to look at their calender and mark off the Falcons as a win, then leave the field that week bloodied and bruised with a big fat L.

See to win in the NFL it takes talent. Other teams will not take any team for granted, they will pound your team into the ground. Wether you like it or not the Falcons have the worst talent of any team in the NFL, your team is horrible.

You will pound nothing, you will be worse than the Dolphins were last year. Your team has no talent, at all, at any position.

You thought last year was rough, this year is going to be the worst in your franchises history.

guess who also isnt a legitimate news source?

PFT.

nothin against you silentbob, but i dont take anything these people have to say seriously. even experts i respect cant accurately predict 10% of what will happen this year. football is too unpredictable. in baseball there are trends and winning streaks and while there are surprises (the white sox and twins for example) once the trend is set it deviates a bit but not much more. in football the first and 2nd half of the season can almost be completely different. just look at our team. the first half of the year we were sh**, the 2nd half we won a few games and were more competitive. with mora we were good/great in the 1st half and choked in the 2nd half like clock work. i dont know what it is, but i think its because the season is so much shorter in contrast. in any event, football is wildly unpredictable which is why i dont buy any magazine telling me what to think. 90% of it (if not more) will be wrong anyways.

Let me know when PFT has a positive article about the Falcons. For whatever reason every time I read something on there about the Falcons it's terrible. Even back when the Falcons were considered a good team. It was always something bad about Vick or our weaknesses, never anything good.

Jigga Donkey (7/20/2008)
oh, and I agree 100% with the ranking and observations. The Falcons are the worst franchise in the league

Your A$$ sucks buttermilk. Put the article on the bulletin board and use it all year long. At the end if the year when we are nowhere near the bottom of the heap, find the hack who wrote the POS and stick it where the sun don't shine.

That article is total and utter horse crap. It's funny how they see the negative in  every single thing that we've done.

We begin our review of NFL training camps and whatnot by looking at the team we currently regard as the worst franchise in the National Football League.

This one was easy. The Atlanta Falcons.

becasue we all know that the teams who finishesd with the same or a worse record than us have all done so much to improve - particularly Miami, KC and St Loius. 

Everything else is bad. Real bad. New head coach Mike Smith is a guy who never previously got a sniff in any other NFL city. G.M. Tom Dimitroff might have the chops to get the job done, but he was hired without a face-to-face interview, even as the Falcons were taking a herd of font-office personnel to interviews of other candidates.

... and there was me thinking that we hired one of the most respectable personnel guys in the NFL and architect of the Patriots, plus a highly respected DC. Rather than saying somethign neutral orpositive, they prefer to focus on the only negative thing that they can say about TD, namely that we didn't give him a face-to-face interview. Biased, gutter journalism at is best (or should that be worst?).

On the field, the biggest acqusition was a running back who has spent his career as second banana to LaDainian Tomlinson. Though Michael Turner might very well be able to perform as the starter, they likely could have found a player of equivalent ability for a much smaller financial investment.

Bearing in mind that Turner was universally 0rated as the best FA RB available, and considered by many as one ofthe top 3 offensive FA's, I'd love to know who else of "equivalent ability" they think we could have got for "a much smaller financial investment".

Bearing in mind that we have Peerless Price more money 5 years ago than we gave Turner, and he will be taking up a smaller % of our cap space that Warrick Dunn was under the contract we gave him 6 years ago, the $5.75m a year that we are paying Turner is far from excessive.

Then there was the draft. Desperate to put a new face on the franchise and (more importantly) to have a long-term presence at the quarterback position in order to block an eventual return by Mike Vick, the Falcons used the No. 3 overall pick on Matt Ryan even though possible Warren Sapp-style defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey was still on the board.

If Ryan can t start as a rookie, the alternatives are Chris Redman and Joey Harrington. Ugh.

So on one hand they blast out backup QB's, but they still can't help criticising us for drafting Ryan at #3. Talk about twisting thign to find the neagative in everything we do. The funny thing is , you can guarantee that if we'd taken Dorsey they'd have been hammering us just as much for passing on Ryan.

One year after the Dolphins nearly became the first 0-16 team in NFL history, the Falcons could be in contention to finish the job. If so, it would be a dramatic fall for Dimitroff, who was with the 16-0 Patriots before taking the job in Atlanta.

We probably will struggle this year with such an inexperienced roster. it';sfunny how yet another media outlet completely ignores the 22 draft picks that we've added in the last 2 years, 9 of which were selections in rounds 1-3 of the draft. Woudn't it be nice to soo someone who recognised that fact that we have a young team and that we may actually have drafted some good young players in the last 2 years.

It's not surprising that they're picking the Falcons as the worst franchise in the league because history has shown that's what all those media nuts do every year.  It's obvious that we have better key players than both the Chiefs and Dolphins.  The Chiefs and Dolphins don't have the depth at QB and LB that we have. 

The Chiefs have Larry Johnson, but he's coming off a serious injury so he can be questionable, not to mention that the KC OL is probably in a lot worse shape than ours.  So the Falcons should rate higher at RB/OL over the Chiefs not to mention that our WR corps should be rated much higher.  As for Miami, their top two RBs, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are both coming off injuries and will be a push.  I do believe the Falcons have a better group of WRs than the Dolphins. 

I think coming out into the season, Atlanta could beat both of these teams handily and with the Chiefs on the schedule early, we'll get to see who is the 'worst franchise/team in the league'. 

It never ceases to amaze me that the media believes the Falcons went 4-12 in 2007, upgraded GM & Head Coach, filled out positions via Draft & FAs, and they're still picking ATL at #32 !? :blink:  Good thing their opinion holds no weight, otherwise I'd be p!$$ed.

The Raiders have had top 10 picks in the Draft for a decade or more and STILL were as bad as us in 2007.