The me51 Report: No. 3

From the movie Sneakers :

Cosmo Posit.  People think a bank might be<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

financially shaky.

Bishop Consequence.  People start to withdraw their

money.

Cosmo   Result.  Pretty soon it IS financially

shaky.

Bishop   Conclusion.  You can make banks fail.

Ben Stein: Media Are Whipping Us Into Economic Despair

picture-26.jpg
By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)

July 12, 2008 - 11:44 ET

redwhite.jpgDays after former Sen. Phil Gramm told the Washington Times that "We have sort of become a nation of whiners" when it comes to the economy, Ben Stein claimed, "It's the media that is whipping us into this frenzy."

Deliciously, this came just minutes after a Democrat strategist actually said, "We are in the toughest economic time we have ever been in this country."

As such, I would make the case that it is media AND Democrats doing the whipping.

But before we get there, here's what Stein said Saturday on Fox News's "Cavuto on Business" (photo courtesy BenStein.com)

What made Stein's statement all the more poignant was that earlier in the program, Rita Lewis, a Democrat strategist with ties to the Clinton White House, actually said the following to guest host Dagen McDowell:

How disgraceful.

With this in mind, Ben, I'd say that folks like Lewis, and the Democrat politicians and candidates they support who on a regular basis talk about the current economic conditions as being Depression-like and Hooveresque, are just as responsible as the media for the currently low consumer confidence.

Are there economic issues also involved? Certainly. But to equate the current condition to a period when 25 percent of the nation was unemployed, and people were standing in soup lines is the height of intellectual dishonesty, and people doing it exclusively for political benefit should be ashamed of themselves.

Moreover, those that aren't doing it for political reasons, but are just too ignorant to know the facts, should not be invited on television programs to offer such irresponsible and unqualified opinions. 

Noel Sheppard is the Associate Editor of NewsBusters.

Feds Say Schumer Responsible for IndyMac Collapse

An apology goes to Ed Morrissey for that he was being too tough on Sen. Charles Schumer s letter to regulators about the weakness of IndyMac Bank. The Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) admitted the bank was in poor shape but for causing it to go under:

OTS started getting involved with IndyMac in 11.07 and declared the bank to be troubled in 01.08. IndyMac was looking for new investors or a buyer. With bank customers panicked and pulled their money out. Any bank interested in buying IndyMac could wait for it to go into receivership and buy it for pennies on the dollar.

The OTS is making a strong accusation. I d like to know what conversations were going on between OTS officials and Schumer. There was a letter sent from OTS director John M. Reich quoted by :

Petruno goes on to quote John D. Hawke, the U.S. comptroller of the currency:

It s one thing to be concerned about government regulators not doing enough, but it s quite another to take action that leads to the result you claim you wanted to prevent. Sen. Schumer made a bad situation even worse with his irresponsible behavior. If IndyMac were a New York bank he d be raked over the coals, but it s a California bank. Voters there have no way to hold Schumer accountable.

An interesting side note to IndyMac is it originally was and founded by Countrywide CEO Angelo Mozilo. The firm changed its name to IndyMac when it turned into a bank in 1999.

great...another guy with money believing that the economy is not having a negative affect on those who aren't wealthy....

do me a favor...find someone who isn't rich and ask them their thoughts on the economy.....i can guarandamtee you that all those people who are carpooling, riding their bikes to work, driving only when they have to, and buying generic brand groceries are not driving hummers and mercedes.....

Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)
great...another guy with money believing that the economy is not having a negative affect on those who aren't wealthy....

do me a favor...find someone who isn't rich and ask them their thoughts on the economy.....i can guarandamtee you that all those people who are carpooling, riding their bikes to work, driving only when they have to, and buying generic brand groceries are not driving hummers and mercedes.....

People who can't make a living in this country are too stupid to live. Quote me on that.

me51 (7/19/2008)
Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)

People who can't make a living in this country are too stupid to live. Quote me on that.

We'll see who's the stupid one when you have to grow your own food and harvest it while making your money on the backs of the working class who afford your politicians the living they have which is well beyond the needs to live by. Your capitalist ideas will run this country into the ground and waller in it as if to have made some kind of accomplishment only to find you have screwed yourself out of the mear means to live by. So go ahead rape the the world if you must, may God have pitty on your soul.:smooooth:

Nothing personal.

ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)
Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)

We'll see who's the stupid one when you have to grow your own food and harvest it while making your money on the backs of the working class who afford your politicians the living they have which is well beyond the needs to live by. Your capitalist ideas will run this country into the ground and waller in it as if to have made some kind of accomplishment only to find you have screwed yourself out of the mear means to live by. So go ahead rape the the world if you must, may God have pitty on your soul.:smooooth:

Nothing personal.

Are you talking about Cuba? Maybe China?

me51 (7/19/2008)
Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)

Depends on what you mean when you say "can't make a living."
me51 (7/20/2008)
ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)
Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)

Nothing personal.

Your funny. You know **** well who I am talking about. The Reps will continue to rape the land and the Dems will continue to undermine and fix the wrath of the Reps.

ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)
Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)

Nothing personal.

Your funny. You know **** well who I am talking about. The Reps will continue to rape the land and the Dems will continue to undermine and fix the wrath of the Reps.

God,you are such an ungrateful jerk.

me51 (7/20/2008)
ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)
Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)

Nothing personal.

Thank you thank you. Leave your donations at the door.

ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/20/2008)
ty down (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)
Hazy Dayz (7/19/2008)

Nothing personal.

Thank you thank you. Leave your donations at the door.

Its funny you quote Adams in your signature. I bought the movie and this man struggled. He would never have approved of the government programs we have today.

Jesus me51  lol

You don't suppose the credit crisis began because 2 of the largest states in the nation started seeing a 10-20-30% drop in home values since last year due to defaults and foreclosures do you??

Maybe things will begin to turn around soon but this sure isn't the media's fault for being "glum".  :laugh:

yeah, if only the media would just ignore the facts that food costs are up almost 40%, insurance costs have tripled, gas and oil prices are exploding, unemployment is rising, the US dollar is increasingly weak, home values are diving, wages are mostly stagnant, etc....

then those things wouldn't REALLY be happening!

what a simpleton.

XLDenaliReturns (7/20/2008)
yeah, if only the media would just ignore the facts that food costs are up almost 40%, insurance costs have tripled, gas and oil prices are exploding, unemployment is rising, the US dollar is increasingly weak, home values are diving, wages are mostly stagnant, etc....

then those things wouldn't REALLY be happening!

what a simpleton.

Don't worry. When Obama wins he will suddenly notice ALL of those things and say Obama caused them.;)

terryowens_ (7/20/2008)
Jesus me51  lol

You don't suppose the credit crisis began because 2 of the largest states in the nation started seeing a 10-20-30% drop in home values since last year due to defaults and foreclosures do you??

Maybe things will begin to turn around soon but this sure isn't the media's fault for being "glum".  :laugh:

This is the thing no one mentions. Banks loaned money to people who could not afford their loans. Now if these people had been denied, we would now be hearing how these people were discriminated against. I am not talking color, but income. The government lowers the hammer. Banks lose either way.

pencilpusher (7/19/2008)
So it's the libs creating fear and panic?

" if you don't vote for us we will be attacked again!"

Buy duct tape!! Danger level orange!!!!!

Jesus don't be such a partisan hack to say " one side good one side bad"

It's definitely not one side. But creating panic is used by all governments, ours included. I just don't understand why people won't wake up to the silliness of the partisan issue. Both parties are lobbied and paid for by the same folks.