Redman will start until the O Line gels "to some point"

michaelgee

Once the oline establishes "some unity" then Matt will take over.

You never insert a franchise QB without allowing the oline to be "battle tested" and do some amount of gelling.

Even in pre-season, Redman wil start, once the oline gets some snaps together under "game-like" situations, then Matty will get his shot. I think we will see Matt plenty in preseason but maybe not starting each week until possibly the 2nd or 3rd game.

There is certainly some merit in your speculation; however, don't underestimate Chris Redman's ability to lead the team and generate points and W's for the offense, even if the O-Line is still working on their composure. Redman seemed to be a solid leader in the huddle last season, and was able to generate offensive power (points/first-downs, TD's, etc.) in spite of an O-Line that was filled with backups and walking wounded players.

Most of the time, coaches are reluctant to make a QB change when the offensive unit is in sync and winning games: don't be surprised if Redman creates such an environment.  I think it's a realistic possibility that Redman will not give up the starters role easily: if I remember correctly, he came into the NFL with a better pedigree than Matt, Joey and DJ.  Couple that with the fact that he is anxious to capitalize on his 'second chance', and you could end up with a healthy QB competition: one that results in some unexpected Falcon victories.

Of course, Matt Ryan is clearly our QB of the future, but wouldn't it be a nice luxury to have him learning the NFL game and our offense on the sidelines for awhile, without taking the risk of rushing him in too early? 

It could happen.

There is certainly some merit in your speculation; however, don't underestimate Chris Redman's ability to lead the team and generate points and W's for the offense, even if the O-Line is still working on their composure.  Redman seemed to be a solid leader in the huddle last season, and was able to generate offensive power (points/first-downs, TD's, etc.) in spite of an O-Line that was filled with backups and walking wounded players.

the fact that redman knows to get rid of the ball quick and knows where his guys are on the field makes him potentially decent for the team getting started over. new offense this upcoming season, but redman will know the playbook and where his receivers will be. hopefully the running game will be decently strong enough to not have to lay everything on the QB. i think that if Turner is the beast and Norwood gets plenty of action, it will be fairly easy to slip Ryan in the game. after a couple of games, i think it will be obvious.

michaelgee (7/19/2008)
Once the oline establishes "some unity" thenMatt will take over.

You never insert a franchise QB without allowing the oline to be "battle tested" and do some amount of gelling.

Even in pre-season, Redman wil start, once the oline gets some snaps together under "game-like" situations, then Matty will gethis shot. I think we will see Matt plenty in preseason but maybe not starting each week until possibly the 2nd or 3rd game.

What are you talking about? Except for Baker, the rest of the Oline already is battle-tested. Our concern should be whether or not guys like Forney and McClure have fattened up enough from the Gibbs debacle and have the stamina for 16 games. That said, I really feel our best chance is to throw the kid to wolves. Still depends on what I see at TC, but that is my gut feeling.

Any coach or manager worth their salt wouldn't place that much weight on the offensive line when it comes to selecting the starting QB. For all that is said of Joey Harrington failing in Detroit because of the o-line, it must also be realized that no one did a very good job in there until Martz came in with his spread offense... and even then they were giving up a lot of sacks.

At this moment in time I simply cannot see how Matt Ryan could be more prepared to lead this team than Chris Redman. The offensive line is something we need to work on, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor in who calls the signals.

Redman has experience and the respect of this team already as a leader on the field. Ryan needs time to adjust, learn, and develop.... just as any other rookie QB does.

Why is everyone that loved it when Petrino said the QB we draft should sit a year now jumping on the "play Ryan now" bandwagon? Just because Petrino skipped town doesn't mean his point about developing the franchise QB has no merit. We're not talking about bringing in a guy who has sat on the bench in anonymity for a few years.

Carter (7/20/2008)
......At this moment in time I simply cannot see how Matt Ryan could be more prepared to lead this team than Chris Redman. The offensive line is something we need to work on, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor in who calls the signals. Redman has experience and the respect of this team already as a leader on the field. Ryan needs time to adjust, learn, and develop.... just as any other rookie QB does.

Why is everyone that loved it when Petrino said the QB we draft should sit a year now jumping on the "play Ryan now" bandwagon? Just because Petrino skipped town doesn't mean his point about developing the franchise QB has no merit. We're not talking about bringing in a guy who has sat on the bench in anonymity for a few years.

Yep.  Although Ryan could certainly surprise everyone, my guess is that Redman is the man most ready to lead the offense, while Ryan learns how the NFL game is played while holding a clipboard on the sidelines.  We have a solid, experienced coaching staff who are in the best possible position to determine when Ryan will be ready to carry the team on his shoulders. In the meantime, Redman appears ready to carry the load.

My best speculation about those who say they want Ryan to start on day one is that they are either:

1.  Ryan haters, YKW lovers, or those who wanted another Falcon first round draft pick (Dorsey/Long/Brohm/DMac, etc.).  They want to be able to continue to whine about what didn't happen and say 'I told you so.....' Some will use the rationale that because we're paying Ryan such a high salary (market economics at work: nothing more) he should immediately begin earning his salary, and learn on the job (AKA: on his back)

2.  Fans who are tired of the losing and the negativity and want wins and fixes now.  Although they are well intended, the reality is that it takes time to build a quality, winning team: it doesn't usually happen in one draft or one season. 

Clearly Matt Ryan is the future QB for our team, but at this point in time my guess is that Chris Redman is better positioned to be the starter.  If Redman shows that he can continue to generate wins, points and move the offense, it will give Ryan more time to learn the game and get some playing time when the situation isn't so critical.

That's my two cents worth.

The OL will be fine IMO, b/c Redman is taking snaps, rather than Harrington. I think they lost trust in Joey after the first couple of games b/c he held the ball too long. Then Byron can in, and he just sucked with his big a$$ windup. Finally, Redman came in and they magically started blocking better and we started to score some points and we played with heart. The same thing will happen with Ryan b/c he Ryan has the "off the chart intangibles" and is EXTREMELY poise in the pocket. If Ryan can get the mental part down, he will make up for his arm strength.

michaelgee (7/19/2008)
Once the oline establishes "some unity" thenMatt will take over.

Even in pre-season, Redman wil start, once the oline gets some snaps together under "game-like" situations, then Matty will gethis shot. I think we will see Matt plenty in preseason but maybe not starting each week until possibly the 2nd or 3rd game.

I'm of the belief that barring 1 or 2 exceptions (Manning/Marino) a rookie QB should sit at a minimum 2/3rds of their rookie season. This gives them time to learn to what it takes at an NFL level to prepare as well as handle the NFL game. For most young QB's, putting them in early during their rookie season hurts them more than helps them.

JMO, get to week 8 we'll start considering to play Ryan. If we're still in the playoff hunt by some miracle, then Ryan stays on the bench, but if we're out of it, then Ryan should start getting playing time around week 8 - 10.

michaelgee (7/20/2008)
HuskerFalcon (7/20/2008)
by the way nice title haha....redman will start as ol gels....haha:P

Like it or not that is what will happen.

Smitty is a practical Coach, he will build the foundation starting with the first snap.

That foundation is the oline.

what i meant by that is that u messed the title up...

• 2 weeks later...
On a serious note, I agree with letting Redman start this season (although this decision today is solely for preseason game #1). I definitely think Redman gives us the best chance to win. I would love for us to have a Cleveland Brown situation on our hands.

Redman is a good QB. Cool guy in the pocket, there is no need to rush anything and get Matt injured, that would prove nothing. Given some time Matt will be fine and then we will have one of the better backup QB's in Redman. Redman is a solid QB.

Honestly, Redman should be the guy for most of the year, and maybe the whole year if he holds up. I worry about how our line is going to hold up with some question marks-Blaylock didn't exactly light the world on fire in his rookie season (despite my prediction that he would) and RG is a big question mark. I'm surprised Forney is still on the team after the way he's stunk it up the past couple of years, but maybe he's still got something left. Harvey Dahl has floated around as an extra body for a few teams and now seems to be our starter by default. And there's a question at RT with Weiner who actually had a good year last year when he was healthy, but we don't know what the story is now.

With that kind of uncertainty, I'd hate to ruin the psyche of a rookie QB by putting in a situation where he could potentially get just murdered. I might do a few things like working him in sometimes during the 2nd/3rd quarter, or maybe have him babysit a lead in the 4th quarter, but I wouldn't have him take most of the snaps, and certainly wouldn't put the game on his shoulders if we were behind in the fourth quarter. Not early in the season anyway. I'd like to see him get a few live snaps without being put in too much pressure or having to take over the starting position.

I would hate to turn Matt Ryan into a Joey Harrington because of a bad line. I still think that's where most of Joey's problems came from.

I think that is a large part of it but, remember, in Detroit he was coached to check down rather than risk an INT. When in Miami with Mularkey (who caught ALOT of crap from Miami fans for his play calling when he was OC and prior to being demoted and having that responsibility taken from him) he started to come back. Last year with Petrino, he fell back into checking down. At this point, I just don't know if he can rid himself of all that.

Matt Ryan's status as the starter for this team should depend a lot more on his development than the cumulative efforts of 5 separate individuals blocking for whoever plays his position.

I don't want to see Matt Ryan on the field as a rookie in the regular season until at least week 12... and only then if a playoff berth is completely out of the question.

I didn't like the Ryan pick, but I'll be damned if I sit here as a Falcons fan and wish for him to fail. I want him to have the highest chance of being successful and helping this team win the Lombardi Trophy. To me, the only logical choice is to let him ride pine until he is PROFICIENT and ready to take over for the next 10+ years. We don't need to wreck him in a situation where he can't properly develop behind a half decent offensive line.

What are you talking about? Except for Baker, the rest of the Oline already is battle-tested. Our concern should be whether or not guys like Forney and McClure have fattened up enough from the Gibbs debacle and have the stamina for 16 games. That said, I really feel our best chance is to throw the kid to wolves. Still depends on what I see at TC, but that is my gut feeling.

We have new pieces on this OL. It's important for them to gel as a unit. Remember a few years back when KC had an amazing year?? Their OL returned all starters and had no injuries. Each OL guy knew what his neighbor was gonna do.