Here's why I think we drafted Robert James

taylor228193

I think Curtis Lofton is going to play middle linebacker in running situations and Robert James will play middle linebacker in passing situations. It really does make sense and I'll explain it to you.

James, who was recruited to play SAFETY at Arizona State University, grabbed 4 interceptions last year- at outside linebacker. Our outside linebacker positions are solidified with Keith Brooking, Boley, Nicholas backing up, and possibly Biermann backing up. But that leaves question marks for Curtis Lofton and Tony Taylor at middle linebacker; they're strong and smart, but they are not athletic enough for a cover 2 scheme in obvious passing situations because, in a cover 2 scheme, the middle linebacker covers the deep part of the field tht isn't covered by the two safeties. This is where Robert James comes in; he's fast and a ballhawk, considering he had 4 interceptions at outside linebacker. So he's basically a 'tweener LB/S who will play middle linebacker in passing situations. Why didn't we draft a safety to do this, you may ask? If the defense runs, he's got enough knowledge at linebacker, and enough weight and strength to take on blockers that safeties don't have.

Legendary12 (7/19/2008)
I think Curtis Lofton is going to play middle linebacker in running situations and Robert James will play middle linebacker in passing situations. It really does make sense and I'll explain it to you.

So what is Stephen Nicholas suppose to do sit on the bench?

bigduke633 (7/19/2008)
Nickel doesnt have a middle linebacker.Dime has a middle but its not typically the middle lb.He could be a nickel lb and special teams guy right off.
Where did I say anything about dime or nickel packages? We're probably going to stay in a 4-3 on passing downs because our defense is vulerable to draws. 4-3 takes away that possibility. Plus, some of our linebackers are as athletic as defensive backs.

the baptist (7/19/2008)
Legendary12 (7/19/2008)

Yes, just like last year. Nicholas is an outside linebacker. I was talking about our middle linebacker.

the baptist (7/19/2008)
Legendary12 (7/19/2008)

He wouldn't be on my bench much. I would have him rotating in and

out for Brooking, with an eye on replacing him next year. James is a

special teams guy or a safety maybe. If he plays linebacker for us he

will be that exception to every rule. He is way undersized. Now I am

saying all this before camp so what do I know. It is with great curiosity

that I watch how the James pick turns out.

LADBABY (7/19/2008)
the baptist (7/19/2008)
Legendary12 (7/19/2008)

He wouldn't be on my bench much. I would have him rotating in and

out for Brooking, with an eye on replacing him next year. James is a

special teams guy or a safety maybe. If he plays linebacker for us he

will be that exception to every rule. He is way undersized. Now I am

saying all this before camp so what do I know. It is with great curiosity

that I watch how the James pick turns out.

James would basically be a third safety but be playing linebacker because he can also stop the run. Yes, he's undersized, but he makes up for that with speed. He'll probably play on primarily third downs and special teams.

Legendary12 (7/19/2008)
bigduke633 (7/19/2008)
Nickel doesnt have a middle linebacker.Dime has a middle but its not typically the middle lb.He could be a nickel lb and special teams guy right off.
Where did I say anything about dime or nickel packages? We're probably going to stay in a 4-3 on passing downs because our defense is vulerable to draws. 4-3 takes away that possibility. Plus, some of our linebackers are as athletic as defensive backs.

You havent a clue about the game of football, stay in the 4-3 on passing downs? Wow.....

This isnt Madden bro..........

I would make some points but there is no need to argue with people who havent touched the grass.

peter griffin (7/19/2008)
i read he played middle linabacker last year, so it makes perfect sense to me although lofton is supposed to be decent vs the pass.

i agree..... the dude ran a 4.6 at his pro day and plus lofton had 3 picks last year...... fans are going off his combine results is now thinking that lofton is not that athletic but he is..... but anyway ..... on nickle plays Boley and Brooking will be in and on dimes..... most likely Boley will be in at the LB position...... Robert James was drafted as a backup cover 2 LB/ Special team gunner.....

By the way we should really have a good special team with... David Irons, Daron Stone, Robert James, Kroy Biermann, Thomas DeCoud and more fast/ hard hitting players..... alot of fans forget about special team coverage but field position is one of the most important parts of football

The 6-foot, 243-pound Lofton, who chose to enter the NFL draft after his junior season, ran a 4.77-second 40 at the combine, but posted times of 4.63 and 4.67 seconds on his home turf.

Lofton said after the workout he was pleased with the improvement. So, apparently, were the scouts, one of whom told Lofton that "you made yourself a lot of money today."

That's exactly what Lofton wanted to hear, even if his goal was to run the 40 in under 4.6 seconds.

"I felt like I did OK," he said. "I definitely feel like I can run a little better, so I'm not satisfied, but it was fine."

Lofton has maintained that he's faster in games than in combine-style drills. He had 157 tackles in 2007, the sixth-best total in school history, and established a school record with nine double-digit tackle games, including a career-high 18 in the first meeting with Missouri.

"I'm not a track guy," he said. "I'm not going to come in blazing. But when I get on the field, I don't think you'll find anybody who moves the way I do or is as fast as I am out there."

the guy is a football player

By the way we should really have a good special team with... David Irons, Daron Stone, Robert James, Kroy Biermann, Thomas DeCoud and more fast/ hard hitting players..... alot of fans forget about special team coverage but field position is one of the most important parts of football
that is exactly what TD constantly stresses. I love this guy's philosophy!

i kinda disagree with this post. I do think like the poster that James was drafted for versatility and depth. But he is a definite WLB, as opposed to MLB--to little. Also he can back up or compete for SS time. He'll be very good as a "extra LB" SS that plays close to the line for run support. Most importantly, regardless of other playing time, he's a great STs pick