This nation needs to become 100% independent of foreign oil within 10 years no matter what it takes.

The biggest single threat to our future is not terrorists with bombs but countries who dont like us holding us hostage by limiting oil supply and charging whatever they want for it.  We will crumble economically like the USSR did in the late 80's because we simply cannot continue to go this way financially.

Whatever it takes, we need to be 100% off of foreign oil and on to a supply produced here in the US by Americans within 10 years.  People like T. Boone Pickens have the right idea.  Get off of oil and go to something cleaner, cheaper, more abundant and something to which we cannot be held hostage economically. Quit paying people who dont like us for a product that is damaging the environment.  Instead, pay ourselves for a clean product that cannot be taken away from us.

Makes WAAAAAYYYY too much sense to me.

marvinthemartian (7/19/2008)
The biggest single threat to our future is not terrorists with bombs but countries who dont like us holding us hostage by limiting oil supply and charging whatever they want for it.  We will crumble economically like the USSR did in the late 80's because we simply cannot continue to go this way financially.

Whatever it takes, we need to be 100% off of foreign oil and on to a supply produced here in the US by Americans within 10 years.  People like T. Boone Pickens have the right idea.  Get off of oil and go to something cleaner, cheaper, more abundant and something to which we cannot be held hostage economically. Quit paying people who dont like us for a product that is damaging the environment.  Instead, pay ourselves for a clean product that cannot be taken away from us.

There's no way we can be weened off oil in ten years, maybe thirty years.

thatenglishkid (7/19/2008)
Why look for oil when you shouldspend your time developing wind, solar, hydro etc. Sustainable energy.

And for fuel, look into alternatives for that.

Wind, solar, hydro advances are not at the point where they can be massively used instead of oil, especially not when were spending billions on war and aid.

The more independent on other nations for oil we are, the more money will be made available for research and development of other energy sources.

thatenglishkid (7/19/2008)
Why look for oil when you should spend your time developing wind, solar, hydro etc. Sustainable energy.

And for fuel, look into alternatives for that.

Yes, you should. But at the same time you cannot shut down the number one resource this nation depends on for just about everything. Do we plan to just shut down the country when oil from other sources is cutoff or strained? Nature gave us oil for a reason.

The market place will eventually give us a cost effective alternative to oil. Capitalism works, give it time.

ty down (7/19/2008)

Although I agree it will be a challenge, I do believe it can be done.  Here is why I believe that. In 1961 when we had rockets blowing up on the pad at Cape Canaveral, President Kennedy challenged the American people to put a man on the moon and bring him back safely within 10 years.  We did that.  We were able to do it because the entire nation got behind the idea and made it happen.  We saw the Soviets as a threat to us and we viewed this as needed to both protect us as well as win the propaganda war.

We were no closer to achieving that goal in 1961 than we are of achieving this one now.  It looked(s) impossible to do.  But the entire nation saw the need and got behind it and made it happen.  We can do the EXACT SAME THING NOW if we will just do it.  Someone has to be the Kennedy of our generation and move the nation to achieve something that appears to be impossible.

We CAN do this!

We MUST do this!

ty down (7/19/2008)

There is no reason right now to be weened off oil.

Although I agree it will be a challenge, I do believe it can be done.  Here is why I believe that. In 1961 when we had rockets blowing up on the pad at Cape Canaveral, President Kennedy challenged the American people to put a man on the moon and bring him back safely within 10 years.  We did that.  We were able to do it because the entire nation got behind the idea and made it happen.  We saw the Soviets as a threat to us and we viewed this as needed to both protect us as well as win the propaganda war.

We were no closer to achieving that goal in 1961 than we are of achieving this one now.  It looked(s) impossible to do.  But the entire nation saw the need and got behind it and made it happen.  We can do the EXACT SAME THING NOW if we will just do it.  Someone has to be the Kennedy of our generation and move the nation to achieve something that appears to be impossible.

We CAN do this!

We MUST do this!

ty down (7/19/2008)

We CAN do this!

We MUST do this!

The economy can not support the changes necessary to be 100% free of crude oil. We do need to all come together to change our dependency on foreign fuel. But first we need to get our azzes back from china.

The biggest single threat to our future is not terrorists with bombs but countries who dont like us holding us hostage by limiting oil supply and charging whatever they want for it. We will crumble economically like the USSR did in the late 80's because we simply cannot continue to go this way financially.

Whatever it takes, we need to be 100% off of foreign oil and on to a supply produced here in the US by Americans within 10 years. People like T. Boone Pickens have the right idea. Get off of oil and go to something cleaner, cheaper, more abundant and something to which we cannot be held hostage economically. Quit paying people who dont like us for a product that is damaging the environment. Instead, pay ourselves for a clean product that cannot be taken away from us.

I agree

me51 (7/19/2008)
I totally agree, we need to start drilling right now. Finally tap the oil resources we have right here so our children do not have to keep paying the price for theDemocratsinability to act.

Get a clue dude, we don't have what it takes in OIL to get off foreign oil, the solution is use renewable energy. YES WE CAN power our electrical grid with wind and solar, clean, cheap, renewable energy sources. Wind especially, I agree with Pickens on that, except he doesn't go far enough, in 10 years we could be free from coal powered electric and natural gas electric. The natural gas could be used in freight trucks and we could be driving electric cars. The rail system could be revamped along with the interstate highway system to move more freight long distances and use big trucks for regional only and not continental 48.

It's time for Republicans interested in moving forward to join with the Dems who are interested in moving forward and start working TOGETHER for once and get something done if we want to continue to function as a nation.

As T Boone Pickens, the Republican says "We can't drill ourselves out of this", I 100% agree. It's time to start using the alternatives out there now, and get serious about them if we want to continue to exist. I can't stress how important it is that we move NOW, the fierce urgency of NOW is upon us. Foreign oil is going to bankrupt us, it's time to act.

If we would have listened to that Democrat that most Republicans hate so much, maybe we would be a little farther down the road of independence from foreign oil.

Jimmy Carter Energy Plan

ty down (7/19/2008)
The biggest single threat to our future is not terrorists with bombs but countries who dont like us holding us hostage by limiting oil supply and charging whatever they want for it. We will crumble economically like the USSR did in the late 80's because we simply cannot continue to go this way financially.

Whatever it takes, we need to be 100% off of foreign oil and on to a supply produced here in the US by Americans within 10 years. People like T. Boone Pickens have the right idea. Get off of oil and go to something cleaner, cheaper, more abundant and something to which we cannot be held hostage economically. Quit paying people who dont like us for a product that is damaging the environment. Instead, pay ourselves for a clean product that cannot be taken away from us.

Although I agree it will be a challenge, I do believe it can be done. Here is why I believe that. In 1961 when we had rockets blowing up on the pad at Cape Canaveral, President Kennedy challenged the American people to puta man on the moon and bring him back safely within 10 years. We did that. We were able to do it because the entire nation got behind the idea and made it happen. We saw the Soviets as a threat to us and we viewed this as needed to both protect us as well as win the propaganda war.

We were no closer to achieving that goal in 1961 than we are of achieving this one now. It looked(s) impossible to do. But the entire nation saw the need and got behind it and made it happen. We can do the EXACT SAME THING NOW if we will just do it. Someone has to be the Kennedy of our generation and move the nation to achieve something that appears to be impossible.

We CAN do this!

We MUST do this!

I am really glad to see you on board with this.

The economy can not support the changes necessary to be 100% free of crude oil. We do need to all come together to change our dependency on foreign fuel. But first we need to get our azzes back from china.

The economy also cannot continue to transfer wealth overseas in huge oil payments nor can it continue to support increased gas prices here.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for them to lower prices.  This is a free market and the market is allowing the prices to go up.  We do not have the control over the demand side of the equation that we used to have with China and India using so much oil now. We are no longer the largest users. The demand of other countries is now great as well. The only way we reduce price is to reduce demand.  And the only way the United Sates of America will ever reduce demand on foreign oil is if we have an alternative in place that our markets and public finds to be an acceptable alternative. We are simply too stupid and set in our ways to do it any other way. We absolutely MUST do whatever is needed to make it happen. There have been enough wars already over oil and natural resources in the last 100 years.  We do not need another one, but thats what we will have if the supply gets too low or the price gets too high.

I am a conservative who usually leans Republican, but this is not a Democratic or a Republican issue.  This is an AMERICAN issue and we better start treating it as such.  There is plenty of blame to go around for both parties over the past 30 or 40 years.  As much as I dislike President Carter, one thing he was smart enough to do was to at least TRY to have a forward thinking energy policy.  Nobody else, Republican or Democrat, has done it since.

marvinthemartian (7/20/2008)
The economy can not support the changes necessary to be 100% free of crude oil. We do need to all come together to change our dependency on foreign fuel. But first we need to get ourazzes back from china.

The economy also cannot continue to transfer wealth overseas in huge oil payments nor can it continue to supportincreased gas prices here. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for them to lower prices. This is a free market and the market is allowing the prices to go up. We do not have the control over the demand side of the equation that we used to have with China and India using so much oil now. We are no longer the largest users.The demand of other countries is now great as well.The only way we reduce price is to reduce demand. And the only way the United Sates of America will ever reduce demand on foreign oil is if we have an alternative in place that our markets and public finds tobe an acceptable alternative.We are simply too stupid and set in our ways to do it any other way.We absolutely MUST do whatever is needed to make it happen. There have been enough wars already over oil and natural resourcesin the last 100 years. We do not need another one, but thats what we will have if the supply gets too low or the price gets too high.

And we, The United States of America, have to lead on this issue. Right now we aren't even close to being the leader in energy independence. We are the country that discovered electricity, invented the light bulb, the telephone, the automobile... it's time to put American ingenuity back into high gear and take the lead in the world once again to solving the energy crisis for ourselves, and the rest of the planet can follow us. That's some CHANGE I CAN BELIEVE IN!

I am a conservative who usually leans Republican, but this is not a Democratic ora Republican issue. This is an AMERICAN issue and we better start treating it as such. There is plenty of blame to go around for both parties over the past 30 or 40 years. As much as I dislike President Carter, one thing he was smart enough to do was to at least TRY to have a forward thinking energy policy. Nobody else, Republican or Democrat, has done it since.

You're making more sense than I've ever heard you make before :)

And we, The United States of America, have to lead on this issue. Right now we aren't even close to being the leader in energy independence. We are the country that discovered electricity, invented the light bulb, the telephone, the automobile... it's time to put American ingenuity back into high gear and take the lead in the world once again to solving the energy crisis for ourselves, and the rest of the planet can follow us. That's some CHANGE I CAN BELIEVE IN!

I agree completely.  Regardless of who gets elected this time, energy independence done quickly needs to be a top priority, if not THE top priority.  I hope Senator McCain and Senator Obama are listening.

deathdawg (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)
I totally agree, we need to start drilling right now. Finally tap the oil resources we have right here so our children do not have to keep paying the price for theDemocratsinability to act.

Get a clue dude, we don't have what it takes in OIL to get off foreign oil, the solution is use renewable energy. YES WE CAN power our electrical grid with wind and solar, clean, cheap, renewable energy sources. Wind especially, I agree with Pickens on that, except he doesn't go far enough, in 10 years we could be free from coal powered electric and natural gas electric. The natural gas could be used in freight trucks and we could be driving electric cars. The rail system could be revamped along with the interstate highway system to move more freight long distances and use big trucks for regional only and not continental 48.

It's time for Republicans interested in moving forward to join with the Dems who are interested in moving forward and start working TOGETHER for once and get something done if we want to continue to function as a nation.

As T Boone Pickens, the Republican says "We can't drill ourselves out of this", I 100% agree. It's time to start using the alternatives out there now, and get serious about them if we want to continue to exist. I can't stress how important it is that we move NOW, the fierce urgency of NOW is upon us. Foreign oil is going to bankrupt us, it's time to act.

If we would have listened to that Democrat that most Republicans hate so much, maybe we would be a little farther down the road of independence from foreign oil.

Jimmy Carter Energy Plan

God man have you been going to a liberal regurgitation center.

You're making more sense than I've ever heard you make before Smile.gif

LOL. I always make sense. I just cant always get you or my wife to accept that fact:)

lol

Most everyone makes sense to themselves most of the time, but with others it's a little different story.

To be honest, probably even brutally honest to you, you sound a LOT like Al Gore in this thread. :)

/me ducks to miss the flying chair

me51 (7/20/2008)
deathdawg (7/20/2008)
me51 (7/19/2008)

Jimmy Carter Energy Plan

God man have you been going to a liberal reglurgitation center.

Aren't you late for your Rush Limbaugh programming session?

Also, there isn't an L in "regurgitation".

Gawd I get tired of partisan politics sometimes...

I agree completely.  Regardless of who gets elected this time, energy independence done quickly needs to be a top priority, if not THE top priority.  I hope Senator McCain and Senator Obama are listening.

Who exactly said we have to be independent of oil besides liberals? We do need to be oil independent of other nation, but we have oil here we can live on if democrats will let us get it.