if redman plays decently, would any of you care if ryan plays at all this season?

miKevicK777

Ryan is the future and I want to see what hes made of.

It's pretty obvious we're not winning the superbowl this year (of course theres hope), so it would seem to me kind of a lost season in all if ryan doesnt start at least half of the games.

I'm a Redman fan so I will be rooting for him, but I think it's just better for the team if Ryan gets his chance this year.

I think this team COULD be something special in 3 years(as in superbowl contenders, I think this team can definitely make the playoffs next year and the year after), and in that 3rd year I think Redman will be too old to perform at a high level. He'll be like 34 or 35 and his arm strength isnt very good as it is now.

So unless Redman plays extremely well this season (so well that he gives us a real chance for the superbowl either this year or next year), I would like Coach Smith to sit him midseason.

It's tough to say when Matt Ryan should get the reins to the team.  History shows that most successful quarterbacks sit and observe for atleast the first half of the season if not the whole year.  I think it's going to depend on how the offensive line plays, on how well he picks up the system, how well the other quarterbacks play, and how well the team performs.  It's gonna be a decide as you go stuation for the coaching staff.  I'd hate to see him out there week 1 getting killed because our line can't protect him.  He is the future.  I'd hate to push him out there if (A) he is not ready and (B) we get him killed.  We don't need our own version of David Carr.

LET'S PUT THE BEST QUARTERBACK ON THE FIELD. WHOM EVER SURFACES TO THE TOP DURING PRE-SEASON ...... PLUG HIM IN THERE. NO POLITICS! NO IDEALOGICAL NONSENSE! PUT THE BEST PRODUCT ON THE FIELD ...... I DON'T CARE WHO HE IS. IF HE'S BETTER THAN THE REST ..... THEN HE'S OUR MAN. HOW HARD IS THIS TO DO?;)

Norwood all the way! (7/19/2008)
im in agreement with you. i wouldnt mind having reman start in the beginning of the season but in all honesty, we aren't making it to the superbowl. so yea having redman start the entire season is kind of a waste. i want to see what ryan has and to give him a few games under his belt.

I kinda agree. Im "Pro-Redman". Ryan is the franchise guy, but Redman gives us a good chance to win. I too would wait after 12 games. If the offense is looking lackluster after those 12, start Ryan. But if we're in a position for a wild card...Idk. We're all hoping for the pieces to fall into place to make us a contending team. Like Denver we gotta put ourselves in the best position for a SuperBowl. So Im somewhat torn. Redman may win. Ryan is the future. Can the future wait a season?

miKevicK777 (7/19/2008)

It's pretty obvious we're not winning the superbowl this year (of course theres hope), so it would seem to me kind of a lost season in all if ryan doesnt start at least half of the games.

I'm a Redman fan so I will be rooting for him, but I think it's just better for the team if Ryan gets his chance this year.

I think this team COULD be something special in 3 years(as in superbowl contenders, I think this team can definitely make the playoffs next year and the year after), and in that 3rd year I think Redman will be too old to perform at a high level. He'll be like 34 or 35 and his arm strength isnt very good as it is now.

So unless Redman plays extremely well this season (so well that he gives us a real chance for the superbowl either this year or next year), I would like Coach Smith to sit him midseason.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't like the idea of risking our future for some POSSIBLE immediate gratification that may not pan out.  Ideal would be that the line gels well and Redman gets us a few leads early so that Ryan can come in 3rd quarter to mop up.

If Redman is playing well and we are winning....Leave him in!!!!  What if Redman is our D. Anderson & Brady Quinn situation??? You don't take a winner out and replace him with a rookie....just because you think the rookie is our future.....What if, worse case scenerio were to occur and Ryan does not turn out all that great.....So now what?  We screwed over Redman and lost him....Come on folks!!!!  Show some common sense!!! And, if Redman plays great for the season...then we have trade material!!!!  duhhhhh......

bigduke633 (7/19/2008)
Redman has never played in more than 6 games in a year.He is 31 and hasnt won a real game in over 5 years.Decent is relative with a trainwreck.His coach and his system is gone.Ryan should start week one or three.

I agree if Ryan looks better than him in practice and the preseason games.....if not, give him time to actually become equal or better than Redman.

At this point, I believe Redman is capable of leading the team and probably will for a time.  Ryan does have a huge upside to him and will eventually overtake Redman at some point in time.  But in order for Ryan to overtake Redman, it would probably be obvious that Ryan will require some playing time to get to that point.  I think the sooner Ryan gets there, the better he will be and so will our team as a result. 

Let's say the plan for Redman is currently 12 games before Ryan takes the reins and that's without any playing time for Ryan.  If Ryan is able to get adequate playing time to start, let's say Game 6 or 7, then that could still give us a realistic chance of making the playoffs with around 9 or 10 games left on the schedule but I don't really see us in a position to make the playoffs this year.  I think we kind of take a 'Mulligan' this year and prepare Ryan and the rest of the team for future runs by getting some consistency and positive execution of the playbook, get the rest of the players we need for filling our holes and hopefully start making runs in 2009 or 2010.

REV.2000 (7/19/2008)
LET'S PUT THE BEST QUARTERBACK ON THE FIELD. WHOM EVER SURFACES TO THE TOP DURING PRE-SEASON ...... PLUG HIM IN THERE. NO POLITICS! NO IDEALOGICAL NONSENSE! PUT THE BEST PRODUCT ON THE FIELD ...... I DON'T CARE WHO HE IS. IF HE'S BETTER THAN THE REST ..... THEN HE'S OUR MAN. HOW HARD IS THIS TO DO?;)

Some might not understand this post because it makes TOO MUCH sense. :laugh:

As long as Redman is playing well and we are winning i don't care, but we are in a new offense and it a fresh start for the both of them, so i hope the coaches sit Ryan and let him earn it. Redman has game experience and played well enough to be the starter last season so until he shows us he can't start keep him in. I like redman he makes smart decisions and doesn't force things.

miKevicK777 (7/19/2008)

I think this team COULD be something special in 3 years(as in superbowl contenders, I think this team can definitely make the playoffs next year and the year after), and inthat 3rd year I think Redman will be too old to perform at a high level. He'll be like 34 or 35 and his arm strength isnt very good as it is now.

I am a Redman fan also...but our best chance to win is throw the kid to the wolves. He hasn't thrown an NFL pass yet and I know he is infinitely better than what we have. Don't let the last four games from last year cloud your judgement. Redman is our backup.

Rodney (7/19/2008)
If Redman is playing well and we are winning....Leave him in!!!!  What if Redman is our D. Anderson & Brady Quinn situation??? You don't take a winner out and replace him with a rookie....just because you think the rookie is our future.....What if, worse case scenerio were to occur and Ryan does not turn out all that great.....So now what?  We screwed over Redman and lost him....Come on folks!!!!  Show some common sense!!! And, if Redman plays great for the season...then we have trade material!!!!  duhhhhh......

I'm sick and tired of reading these ridiculous comparisons over and over again.

redman cannot be our derek anderson because derek anderson is 25 years old, talented, has a very strong arm, with alot of potential. and redman is 31, been in and out of football, weak arm, and with his age a franchise doesnt have the option to be patient with him.

Whether we like it or not, Matt Ryan IS the future. He can let his contract talk for him. Which means, this is a gamble but its a gamble that we have to make due to pot odds. If Ryan turns out to be a bust, then we're back at square one. Having one season where redman would have gave us a better season wouldn't mean anything. Whats the difference of going 3-13 or 8-8 if we miss the playoffs. At least if Ryan turns out to be a bust, then we can deal it with earlier rather than later.

And like I said, we sit Redman unless he plays amazing giving us a shot at the ring. I didnt say lets sit him when hes on fire.

If Redman plays decently and no way to make it into the playoff's put in Ryan.  If Redman is playing better than decent and we're in the hunt sit Ryan. 

Someone had mentioned earlier that Redman has never played more than 6 games in a season, and because of that we should start Ryan.  Thats ********.  The past does not matter.  What matters is whats going on today. 

If I walked on to the Falcons practice field and blew all QB's away I should start.

Whoever is best on the field is who should be on the field. Period. Saints cut a whole bunch of players three years ago and picked up a bunch of scrubs that ended up performing really well together.

bigduke633 (7/19/2008)
Redman has never played in more than 6 games in a year.He is 31 and hasnt won a real game in over 5 years.Decent is relative with a trainwreck.His coach and his system is gone.Ryan should start week one or three.

I agree. If all things are equal in camp, start Ryan immediately. They should be fairly equal...new coach, new office, new players. If its not close in training camp....won't say something is permanently wrong, however, the first rounder on an equal playing field should beat out the insurance salesmen.

I just want to see Joey hit the highway. Enough already.

tweak (7/19/2008)
REV.2000 (7/19/2008)

Some might not understand this post because it makes TOO MUCH sense. :laugh:

Unfortunately, 35 million speaks loudly. Easier said than done for some. Many having responsibility for the draft have a specific interest in seeing Ryan on the field. If he dosnt get ere sometime soon, front office will have a lot of explaining. Unfortunately, those kind of politics are real.

Redman only QB in Falcon history to post a 0.0 last season at TB.  0.0 aint Blutoflski's GPA in Animal House and funny-he should have to earn the right to start.  I still have nightmares from that stench when he faced a decent D.  Worst ever by a Falcons QB and he automatically should be an NFL starting QB? 

gobige (7/19/2008)
Redman only QB in Falcon history to post a 0.0 last season at TB.  0.0 aint Blutoflski's GPA in Animal House and funny-he should have to earn the right to start.  I still have nightmares from that stench when he faced a decent D.  Worst ever by a Falcons QB and he automatically should be an NFL starting QB? 

Ain't that the truth!  I'm still trying to believe this new coaching staff is not like last years coaches and are going let redman, shockley, ryan and joey compete.  The only QB that has proven what he can do against a decent D is Joey, so we can check him off the list now.