Interesting FYI for long time falcons fans who remember Bob Christian.

I just watched a show about Rashard Mendenhall's path to the draft.  It was on the Big Ten channel (220) for those that have Direct TV.

Anyway, as I'm watching Mendenhall training for the combine at an athlete training center, I see Bob Christian training him.  My former message board name was Groundattack44, in honor of Christian, and I've been a long time fan since before his time. . .

For those that are new fans, Christian was our fullback for several years, a solid guy, good fullback, but unfortunately was injured during our SB season, so Kozlowski had to fill in for him.

Well, I get on the internet and find that the training center is in Chicago and is called "TC BOOST- The Tommy Christian Method for Accelerated Speed and Strength" and that Bob Christian is the co-owner and director of elite athlete training programs.

Also turns out that Sam Baker, OT, our other first round selection also trained there pre-combine, along with a ton of nfl guys and some other sports  over the past several years also.

Just thought it was interesting to learn what/where Bob Christian is now and that Baker trained with him.

My tailgating partner is from Detroit and only cheers against the Falcons when Detroit is in town.  The game Bob received his last concussion in was against them and I had bought us tickets to sit on the visiting side as a treat for my friend as this game co-insided with his birthday.  He and I were huge Bob Christian fans and were devastated when he took that hit.  It occured pretty close to where we were sitting and there was an audible crunch that just unnerved us and everyone around us.  Imagine how impressed and pleased we were when we visited training camp the following year and Bob Christian came up and introduced himself.  My friend had gained us on field access through some work contacts he had and during a meet and greet with players like the newly acwired TJ Ducket and Ray Buccanon Bob was wandering around cutting up with his former teamates, signing autographs, and just being the great guy he is.  to this day that's one of my most prized Falcon memories and a cherished autograph.

YIPPIE for BOB!!!!!!

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favorite Falcons of all time. Great guy, great fullback, great attitude...

It's a damned shame that he never went to the Pro Bowl. Mike friggin' Alstott, who was NOT a fullback, went every year because he was listed as fullback even though he was used as a big tailback and couldn't block worth a ****. Christian (and Beasley for the 49ers, now that I think about it) was a sledgehammer blocker, an effective runner and pass-catcher, and was overall far more deserving than a mis-labelled halfback.

Direwolf

I've said it since the end of the '98 season - I still think that Super Bowl game would've been a lot closer if Christian would've played in it.  Not saying we would've won, but it would've been a better game.  Our running attack just wasn't as potent with Koz blocking.  He was good, but Jamal just wasn't the same in the NFCC and Super Bowl.

Hey thanks for the post about one of the greatest players to ever suit up in a Falcons jersey.

You can't ask for a more solid player than Bob Christian. It's great to hear he is doing well after his playing career.

BTW, many of you may recall that Dan Reeves stated many, many times that Bob Christian was the best blocking back he had ever seen in his entire career. Coming from a guy like Reeves, who has seen and done it all, makes that a very high compliment indeed.

Delosky (7/21/2008)
I've said it since the end of the '98 season - I still think that Super Bowl game would've been a lot closer if Christian would've played in it. Not saying we would've won, but it would've been a better game. Our running attack just wasn't as potent with Koz blocking. He was good, but Jamal just wasn't the same in the NFCC and Super Bowl.

I actually think the NFCC Game was more of the Falcons going to the pass to throw the Vikings off guard and exploit their secondary. Everyone expected Atlanta to run, and we came out firing the ball. ****, even Ronnie Harris had catches.

The Super Bowl was a little different. We came out running, and running well. The issue became we couldn't stop Denver.

Duff_Man (7/22/2008)
Delosky (7/21/2008)
I've said it since the end of the '98 season - I still think that Super Bowl game would've been a lot closer if Christian would've played in it. Not saying we would've won, but it would've been a better game. Our running attack just wasn't as potent with Koz blocking. He was good, but Jamal just wasn't the same in the NFCC and Super Bowl.

I actually think the NFCC Game was more of the Falcons going to the pass to throw the Vikings off guard and exploit their secondary. Everyone expected Atlanta to run, and we came out firing the ball. ****, even Ronnie Harris had catches.

The Super Bowl was a little different. We came out running, and running well. The issue became we couldn't stop Denver.

Actually we lost that game because we kept turning the ball over in the redzone.  The offense marched up and down that field but Jam either fumbled or Chandler threw a pick

Good to hear about Bob Christain.  That guy gives 110% at everything he does and was the absolute best FB I've ever seen put on a Falcons jersey.  (Andrews comes close in his FB duties when in with Cain)  It was a crying shame that he had to sit out that SB vs Denver though.  Not that it might have helped our cause a whole lot, but the fact that he was a main driving force in how we got there.