PFW: "Small strides could bolster game of Falcons DE Anderson"

sporkdevil

" July 18, 2008

After a disappointing rookie season, Falcons DE Jamaal Anderson is determined to get better in Year Two and has put a lot of work into improving this offseason, the way we hear it. Anderson, the eighth overall pick in the 2007 draft, was unable to get a sack last season, but the coaching staff remained patient with him and he started all 16 games. Sources say some of Anderson s problems stem from being a long strider, which makes it easy for blockers to knock him off his course. He ll need to do a better job of taking short, choppy steps and has to use his hands more to gain leverage, as well. Close observers of his in Atlanta say he wants to be good and has a solid foundation of teachers in head coach Mike Smith and DL coach Ray Hamilton, who served in the same position with the Jaguars for the past five years while Smith worked as Jacksonville s defensive coordinator."

Not sure if that is really any new info, he should obviously looking to improve, but ****, it is new.

Good little tidbit in a really slow team news period, as indicated by constant vick useless rehashed journalistic garbage that's been coming out the past few days...

I thought Jamaal would be really good last year, and he delivered defending the run and he got really close to some sacks but either someone else got there a step sooner or the QB got the ball off... I'm glad to hear he's working hard to dispell the myth about him being out of shape and fat, I was a believer of the latter because he did indeed look soft from a distance at mini camp but if he has gotten stronger and better I don't much care what he looks like as long as he can produce...

He definitely needs to be able to get to the QB this year to take pressure off of Abe and the DTs during passing downs b/c I think the front 7 will have their hands full with the run this year.

sporkdevil (7/18/2008)
" July 18, 2008

Sources say some of Anderson s problems stem from being a long strider, which makes it easy for blockers to knock him off his course. He ll need to do a better job of taking short, choppy steps and has to use his hands more to gain leverage, as well.

And he also takes on blocks standing up along with not using his hands effectively. I've said this many times. He doesn't get lower than the tackles he faces. The lower man always has better leverage.

I'm starting to wonder if Anderson has been paying any attention to Abe at all. Hopefully he will this year since he should be used to the speed of the game by now. After seeing film on Biermann, he could teach Anderson a thing or two about shredding blocks.

With the PATHETIC coaching staff and team morale last year, I'm surprised Jamaal even knew what side of the ball to line up on.

Head coach Smitty will take Jamaal under his wing and, starting 8 days from today, he will be coached by a true professional coaching staff..........FOR THE FIRST TIME in the NFL.

Watch for DRAMATIC improvement. He will be a dominant player.

Bring It (7/18/2008)
With the PATHETIC coaching staff and team morale last year, I'm surprised Jamaal even knew what side of the ball to line up on.

Head coach Smitty will take Jamaal under his wing and, starting 8 days from today, he will be coached by a true professional coaching staff..........FOR THE FIRST TIME in the NFL.

Watch for DRAMATIC improvement. He will be a dominant player.

Agreed.

phattywankenobi (7/18/2008)
JA has also attended Chuck Smith's Defensive Line Inc in Suwanee who has such customers as Patrick Kerney, Osi Umeniyiora, and Albert Haynesworth.  I see your 2 cents and raise you 2.

Thanks for the info. 

You've told me something I've never heard of before.

Chuck Smith has a DL training school? Wow.

JA has also attended Chuck Smith's Defensive Line Inc in Suwanee who has such customers as Patrick Kerney, Osi Umeniyiora, and Albert Haynesworth. I see your 2 cents and raise you 2.

Thanks for the info.

ive heard that to..... do u have a link saying that this really happened ?..... i just want it comfirmed but i have heard the samething

but yea,.... im glad that we now have real coaches that can help fix Jamaal Anderson technique problems ...... I want to see what Jamaal Anderson can really do

the long strider dilemma was evident along with lack of elite quick twitch reflexes which is why i'm not holding my breath for him to become a significant pass rusher. i truly believe his play this year will dictate moving him to UT next year which is fine because i think he may flourish there. also there are plenty of legit DE's in next years draft. i hate to say it but i had crossed him off my list before the draft. i saw his potential but #8 is to high to draft potential. i wanted reggie nelson or leon hall in rd 1 and tim crowder in rd 2 all of which would have been there. i wanted blaylock exactly where they drafted him so i was happy with that. same for deangelo hall, jerrious norwood, and curtis lofton.

Jigga Donkey (7/18/2008)
yeah, it must have been the coaching to blame for his awful season.

he's simply a poor pick by McKay, again, and will never amount to squat.

take your negativity home, we don't need it anymore.  I'm pretty sure McKay knows more about football than you do.  We need Jamaal Anderson to turn into a good DE, let's hope that he does.  It is only his second season and last year is no indication of anyone's abilities.

atljbo (7/18/2008)
JA has also attended Chuck Smith's Defensive Line Inc in Suwanee who has such customers as Patrick Kerney, Osi Umeniyiora, and Albert Haynesworth. I see your 2 cents and raise you 2.

Thanks for the info.

ive heard that to..... do u have a link saying that this really happened ?..... i just want it comfirmed but i have heard the samething

but yea,.... im glad that we now have real coaches that can help fix Jamaal Anderson technique problems ...... I want to see what Jamaal Anderson can really do

I looked for it but could not find it again.  I believe it was either the AJC or on the Falcons website.  I am not one to believe anything without a link either but it was definitely from a legit source in fact the link may be buried in this MB somewhere in TATF.

last year was what, his 3rd year playing the position? he is still very young and raw, he still needs some of the knowledge of playing the position. another year with abe teaching him and now a decent coaching staff to help him develop. i think this year he will be improved. he might not reach double digit sacks but i think he can probably get 8 or 9 but only if abe stays healthy.

anderson should be fine....from see all the games last year, I thought that he did a great job.

He was very strong against the run.  was amoung the leaders on the Dline in tackles.  There is plenty of talk about  him not having any sacks....Abe only had 10 and he was a probowl player.  No one could really shine with those tackles we had. Nobody to push the pocket just allowed the QBs to step up, avoid the DEs and throw downfield.

sporkdevil (7/18/2008)
" July 18, 2008

After a disappointing rookie season, Falcons DE Jamaal Anderson is determined to get better in Year Two and has put a lot of work into improving this offseason, the way we hear it. Anderson, the eighth overall pick in the 2007 draft, was unable to get a sack last season, but the coaching staff remained patient with him and he started all 16 games. Sources say some of Anderson s problems stem from being a long strider, which makes it easy for blockers to knock him off his course. He ll need to do a better job of taking short, choppy steps and has to use his hands more to gain leverage, as well. Close observers of his in Atlanta say he wants to be good and has a solid foundation of teachers in head coach Mike Smith and DL coach Ray Hamilton, who served in the same position with the Jaguars for the past five years while Smith worked as Jacksonville s defensive coordinator."

Not sure if that is really any new info, he should obviously looking to improve, but ****, it is new.

SPORK, I'LL BE RIGHT BACK WITH YOU. I'VE GOT TO GO AND DEAL WITH JIGGA DONKEY, HE ACTING AN         AGAIN!

Jigga Donkey (7/18/2008)

JIGGA, YOU KNOW HOW CRANKY YOU GET WHEN YOU MISS A MEAL. GET OFF THE COMPUTER, GO AND HAVE YOU A NICE BAIL OF HAY, AND A SIDE ORDER BUCKET OF OATS. DRINK YOU A COOL PAL OF WATER, THEN LAY DOWN IN YOUR STALL AND DRIFT OFF TO SLEEP ......... NEVER TO AWAKEN AGAIN!

REV.2000 (7/18/2008)
Jigga Donkey (7/18/2008)

JIGGA, YOU KNOW HOW CRANKY YOU GET WHEN YOU MISS A MEAL. GET OFF THE COMPUTER, GO AND HAVE YOU A NICE BAIL OF HAY, AND A SIDE ORDER BUCKET OF OATS. DRINK YOU A COOL PAL OF WATER, THEN LAY DOWN IN YOUR STALL AND DRIFT OF TO SLEEP ......... NEVER TO AWAKEN AGAIN!

just one picture to describe this!

owned.jpg

OK SPORK I'M BACK. I'M PULLING FOR ANDERSON. THIS KID'S BETTER THAN A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK. HE'LL BE MUCH BETTER THIS YEAR. HE NEEDS A MEAN STREAK, AN ATITUDE. I'M EXPECTING HIM TO STEP UP THIS YEAR. IT WILL HELP ABRAHAM A LOT. LET'S SEE HOW IT PANS OUT!:)

trubirdfan4life (7/18/2008)
anderson should be fine....from see all the games last year, I thought that he did a great job.

He was very strong against the run.  was amoung the leaders on the Dline in tackles.  There is plenty of talk about  him not having any sacks....Abe only had 10 and he was a probowl player.  No one could really shine with those tackles we had. Nobody to push the pocket just allowed the QBs to step up, avoid the DEs and throw downfield.

Keep in mind that there was no other legit pass rusher besides Abe. IF Jamaal improves, you will see JAbraham's sacks go up.