Why do people say Green Bay Owes Brett Favre?

Shaud

I find it very funny that a lot of people are saying Green Bay owes Brett because he has done so much for that franchise. Well did they forget how much Green Bay did for him? If he had stayed in Atlanta he probably wouldn't have become who he is today because of his drinking problem. So really Green Bay has done more for him then he has done for them.

Yeah I know this is the wrong forum but if I put this in "Around The NFL" it would get no feedback.

Discuss :smooooth:

I am getting so tired of hearing this clown's name.

ESPN did a poll online a few days ago asking "Do You Care If Brett Favre Returns?"

63% of the people who voted said 'No.'

After Sportscenter showed the results of the polls one of the guys was like dumbfounded, ASTONISHED that people didn't get instant boners at the thought of Brett Favre returning. He was like, "Well it has to be the way we worded the question, I just can't believe that people WOULDN'T care."

It literally made me sick.

Kobold King (7/18/2008)
I agree with you Blood, he needs to get his crap together and either stay retired or play for somone else. The Packers are a young team and still rebuilding in some areas, AR is their better choice for the future.

Exactly I don't see how anyone can think Green  Bay is in the wrong. This is all on Favre. I bet Aaron Rodgers wishes Green Bay never traded up 2 draft him in the 1st round that year.

I also like how people keep saying "Well Brett Favre gives Green Bay the best chance to make the Super Bowl."

Really? Based on what? Favre has won 3 playoff games in 11 years. 3. Eli Manning won 4 in 28 days.

John Kincade killed all that "Well he's more experienced" crap too by pointing out that 15 of the last 20 starting Super Bowl quarterbacks were there for the first time.

Here's my solution to all of this Favre drama.  Green Bay should reach an agreement with the 49ers to give them Favre for a draft pick (7th would be fine).  The 49ers would agree without question.  Green Bay would be giving Favre his opportunity to just play football, exactly what he's asking.  Favre in all likelihood would not accept the offer because the 49ers have the worst passing offense in the league.  So now his options are retire or be crucified because of his selfishness.  If Favre did decide to accept the trade, the likelihood is that he would fail miserably and everyone would think the GB organization made the right decision not allowing him to come back in the first place.  Favre either retires (what the GB org wants), doesn't accept the trade (makes Favre look bad), or plays for SF (fails miserably while GB outperforms SF reaffirming their decision).  Any which way you slice it, the Green Bay organization comes out on top. 

Guest Gritz

Blood, Green Bay does owe Favre.......

They owe him a bi-yatch slap for yo-yoing them around for the past several years.

gritblitzer (7/18/2008)

They owe him a bi-yatch slap for yo-yoing them around for the past several years.

:laugh: true that but if they did that then I would have to stop watching ESPN because that is all they would talk about.

I couldn't disagree more! BF has made GB RELEVANT again the last 15 years, without favre they were just also rans. Certainly Favre has unretired several times, and this is another one, but the right thing to do is to honor, your best player ever and be dignified in your actions. Favre is an Icon, like MJ, Rice, Montana.....

GB should not do to Favre what Det did to Barry Sanders......its a fans game, and while Favre is on the otherside of his best years (unlike Barry), it is simply the right thing to do!!

My 2 cents.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

I wouldn't say the Packers owe Favre, but you don't want to have a situation where he disowns the franchise. It could get very ugly. He may not show up at his jersey retirement ceremony. He may tell the Hall of Fame "I don't want to go in as a Packer. Remove any references to the Packers or I won't show up for my induction." The Packers shouldn't hardball this situation or else it could hurt the franchise.

That's not to say Favre is right, because he's not. The Packers needed a commitment from him and he didn't give it. You can't just come back and say "Let me play" when you couldn't tell the Packers one way or the other about your plans. He needs to accept that he either needs to be Rodgers' backup, get traded away or just stay retired. The two parties need to handle this the right way so there are no hard feelings.

triggerman (7/18/2008)
I couldn't disagree more! BF has made GB RELEVANT again the last 15 years, without favre they were just also rans. Certainly Favre has unretired several times, and this is another one, but the right thing to do is to honor, your best player ever and be dignified in your actions. Favre is an Icon, like MJ, Rice, Montana.....

GB should not do to Favre what Det did to Barry Sanders......its a fans game, and while Favre is on the otherside of his best years (unlike Barry), it is simply the right thing to do!!

My 2 cents.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

What did Detroit do to Barry Sanders? Barry quit the team.Right at the start of training camp. Hard to work up a tear for Barry or Brett. Even tho those names sound COMPLETELY ghey when said together that way.

Do they owe him?  No.  Should they let him go on HIS terms?  Yes.  He built the franchise, delt with turnover, and brought the fans back.  So while they don't owe him anything, the right thing to do is let him decide. 

And as for his retirement thing, they wanted a decision from him immediately.  They have a good backup that is ready to play.  It isn't like they needed to start thinking about draft picks for Favre in March. 

pencilpusher (7/18/2008)
triggerman (7/18/2008)

My 2 cents.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

What did Detroit do to Barry Sanders? Barry quit the team.Right at the start of training camp. Hard to work up a tear for Barry or Brett. Even tho those names sound COMPLETELY ghey when said together that way.

[/quote

Barry Demanded a trade, or be released, Det was not helping him out and he took beatings, hard to blame the guy, he had given them 9 GREAT years and NEVER asked for anything, he asked for help and they ignored him, so he asked to be released-traded. Det stoned him and so he retired. Ultimately he made a bad decision, they called his bluff and he stayed retired. As a fan I feel like I was robbed of seeing Him set the rushing record instead of Emmitt......Barry was the Best, but we FANS were robbed.

I agree with the Brett and Barry reference, kinda sounds like Ace and Gary!!!

Headshot (7/18/2008)
I also like how people keep saying "Well Brett Favre gives Green Bay the best chance to make the Super Bowl."

Really? Based on what? Favre haswon 3 playoff games in 11 years. 3. Eli Manning won 4 in 28 days.

John Kincade killed all that "Well he's more experienced" crap too by pointing out that 15 of the last 20 starting Super Bowl quarterbacks were there for the first time.

And even if it is true, the GM's job is to give Green Bay the best chance of winning EVERY season, not just this one. He can't stunt his new QB's growth, put the team in a state of waiting every season, go into the draft unsure of his QB situation, risk losing free agent, etc.

Favre is in the wrong here. If you don't want to retire, don't hold press conferences saying "I retire" and **** your team around every offseason.

kicker23 (7/18/2008)He built the franchise... 

Dude, ever heard of Vince Lombardi?!?  Curly Lambeau?!?  They have more championships than any other franchise (12).  Favre got 1.  He needs to get off his high horse.  The Green Bay franchise built him, not the other way around.

Let's see...Brett Favre played in football games and the Packers paid him a very nice salary to do so.  Favre's salary package was significant, he earned many NFL honors, and the Packers gained significantly from the performance of the team under Favre.  Seems that both parties got what they had contracted for and that no one owes anyone anything.  It is disappointing that Favre appears to have made a premature decision to retire and now that he's changing his mind, he's going to have to face the consequences of his 'flip-flop' and address them like a professional.

The consequences and critical decision making points that face an NFL team when a future HOF QB considers retirement are significant: especially when that QB continues to have the skills and abilities to lead a team to the playoffs and a possible championship.  Getting a firm commitment from Favre on his future after each of the past few seasons must have been agonizing for the player and Packer management; however, Favre KNEW what these consequences would be in advance of his decision to retire at the end of last season. 

The Packers leadership team conducted their recent player selection process based upon Favres retirement and the ascention of a new QB (Aaron Rodgers) to lead the team.  The management, players and Green Bay fans seem to have reluctantly moved on, and were becoming prepared to transition to a new era in Packer football without Favre.

Although Favre is certainly entitled to change his mind and announce his desire to return to the field of play, he is still a highly skilled, productive and VALUABLE commodity, and he should not expect that he should be simply released by the Packers.  The fact that he is a future HOF'er doesn't give Favre 'carte blanche' to simply walk away from his contract and play for another team.  It doesn't change the fact that the Packers should expect adequate compensation from any team that wishes to sign Favre. 

I think that there are only a couple of ways this can pan out: Favre must either stay retired or the Packers will need to return him to the roster at his $12 million salary, trade him or release him.  In any event, I'm sick of the drama and hope that it ends soon.

IMHO, Favre's flip-flopping on retirement has turned the situation into a soap opera, a PR nightmare for the Packers, and has (at least in the short term) diminished my respect for him. 

NewFalcon (7/18/2008)
Let's see...Brett Favre played in football games and the Packers paid him a very nice salary to do so. Favre's salary package was significant, he earned many NFL honors, and the Packers gained significantly from the performance of the team under Favre. Seems that both parties got what they had contracted for and that no one owes anyone anything. It is disappointing that Favre appears to have made a premature decision to retire and now that he's changing his mind, he's going to have to face the consequences of his 'flip-flop' and address them like a professional.

The consequences and critical decision making points that face an NFLteam when a future HOF QB considers retirement are significant: especially when that QB continues to have theskills andabilities to leada team to the playoffs and a possible championship. Getting a firm commitment from Favre on his future after each of the past few seasons must have been agonizing for the player and Packer management; however, Favre KNEW what these consequences would be in advance of his decision to retire at the end of last season.

ThePackers leadership teamconducted their recent player selection process based upon Favres retirement and the ascention of a new QB (Aaron Rodgers) to lead the team. The management, players and Green Bay fans seem to have reluctantly moved on, and were becoming prepared to transition to a new era in Packer football without Favre.

Although Favreis certainly entitled to change his mind and announce his desire to return to the field of play, he is still a highly skilled, productive and VALUABLE commodity, and he should not expect that he should be simply released by the Packers. The fact that he is a future HOF'er doesn't give Favre 'carte blanche' to simply walk away from his contractand play for another team. It doesn'tchange the fact that the Packers should expectadequate compensation from any team that wishes to sign Favre.

I think that there are only a couple of ways this can pan out: Favre must either stay retired or the Packers will need toreturnhimto the roster at his $12 million salary, trade himor release him. In any event, I'm sick of the drama and hope that it ends soon.

IMHO, Favre's flip-flopping on retirementhas turnedthe situation into a soap opera, a PR nightmarefor the Packers,and has (at least in the short term) diminished my respect for him.

Not to mention when Javon Walker held out Brett mumbled some crap about "honoring your contract and not hurting your team"

He should honor his word and stop hurting the team.

I would nto say the packers OWE him anything. But I do think he has done enough for them to earn to do what he wants. I totally understand them wanting to go with Rogers. I just think they should just cut Brett and let him do what he wants.

I have heard they are worried about him going to another team like the Vikes. Which I dont understand why they would care... Brett has NEVER NEVER been a good dome QB, and its not like they don't know his tenancy's and know how he thinks.

Again I don't know if they OWE him anything but He did help rebuild it from a laughing stock in the nfl, he did stay there when things were getting pretty bad ( like Jamal Reynolds bad)

So he HAS done a lot of the team over a near 2 decade run there. Yes they have paid him VERY well.

Cut him and be done with it.

Shaud (7/18/2008)
gritblitzer (7/18/2008)

:laugh: true that but if they did that then I would have to stop watching ESPN because that is all they would talk about.

I'd actually watch ESPN just to see someone from the Packers slap him.

Shaud (7/18/2008)
I find it very funny that a lot of people are saying Green Bay owes Brett because he has done so much for that franchise. Well did they forget how much Green Bay did for him? If he had stayed in Atlanta he probably wouldn't have become who he is today because of his drinking problem. So really Green Bay has done more for him then he has done for them.

Yeah I know this is the wrong forum but if I put this in "Around The NFL" it would get no feedback.

Discuss :smooooth:

They have a 3 year contract with him.  Therefore, they "OWN" the football rights of #4, unless they trade or release him.... That's what they mean.:)

Wild Bill (7/19/2008) 

They have a 3 year contract with him.  Therefore, they "OWN" the football rights of #4, unless they trade or release him.... That's what they mean.:)

No it is not what they mean or that is not what this thread is about. This thread is clearly about people who say Green Bay "OWES" favre.