Why would we keep Shockley?

buckeyes (7/19/2008)
chifalc and rodney,  You guys respond to every single pro shockley post in a shockley thread trying to put his ability as a QB down.  Every single post where someone says something positive about Shock you counter with that stat means nothing or he just sucks.  rodney seems to have one reason for being here and that is for harrington.  chifalc,  would think I'm a better QB than shockley.  It is unreasonable to not have anything positive to about a young player like Shockley that hasn't had his chance yet.  He acomplished alot his senior year in college and is waiting for his chance in the nfl.  If he ever gets in 1 game as starter I would bet season tickets he would become a franchise QB for some team.
My name is buckeyes, and I'm a:

homer%20simpson.gif

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SteelerDawg6481 (7/20/2008)
buckeyes (7/19/2008)
chifalc and rodney, You guys respond to every single pro shockley post in a shockley thread trying to put his ability as a QB down. Every single post where someone says something positive about Shock you counter with that stat means nothing or he just sucks. rodney seems to have one reason for being here and that is for harrington. chifalc, would think I'm a better QB than shockley. It is unreasonable to not have anything positive to about a young player like Shockley that hasn't had his chance yet. He acomplished alot his senior year in college and is waiting for his chance in the nfl. If he ever gets in 1 game as starter I would bet season tickets he would become a franchise QB for some team.

homer%20simpson.gif

so he is a bigger UGA fan than you. i thought it, but i didnt think you would admit it.:w00t: also more conforming from Pitt.

GEORGIAfan (7/20/2008)
buckeyes (7/19/2008)
chifalc and rodney, You guys respond to every single pro shockley post in a shockley thread trying to put his ability as a QB down. Every single post where someone says something positive about Shock you counter with that stat means nothing or he just sucks. rodney seems to have one reason for being here and that is for harrington. chifalc, would think I'm a better QB than shockley. It is unreasonable to not have anything positive to about a young player like Shockley that hasn't had his chance yet. He acomplished alot his senior year in college and is waiting for his chance in the nfl. If he ever gets in 1 game as starter I would bet season tickets he would become a franchise QB for some team.

homer%20simpson.gif

so he is a bigger UGA fan than you. i thought it, but i didnt think you would admit it.:w00t: also more conforming from Pitt.

No he's not, he's just a shameless homer that gives the rest of the Dawgs fanbase a bad name. He's probably a good fan but he goes overboard. If DJ had never played for Georgia he would care less about him and wouldn't be saying the things he is saying.

I told you never to question my fandom again. If you can't derive that from both my avatar and my sig then there is no help for you. YOu dig, homie?

GEORGIAfan (7/20/2008)
buckeyes (7/19/2008)

homer%20simpson.gif

No he's not, he's just a shameless homer that gives the rest of the Dawgs fanbase a bad name. He's probably a good fan but he goes overboard. If DJ had never played for Georgia he would care less about him and wouldn't be saying the things he is saying.

I told you never to question my fandom again. If you can't derive that from both my avatar and my sig then there is no help for you. YOu dig, homie?

1st im messin wit ya, Ight homie. 2nd i did question you being a fan, i said you admitted to being less of a fan than buckeye. whats a Homer? a Blind Fan who thinks his team is the best no matter what, right? well if you think with logic, then you cant be a Blind fan at who is a better fan.

also fan is short for fanatic, and logic doesnt make you a fanatic. I know you are a homer inside, but you just dont want to show it. I know your rooting for DJ.

1. Upside - Shockley still has upside potential over Harrington. Shcokley better intangibles mobility, quickness, strong arm, and intelligence.  His raw talent can be developed. He has room for improvement and can potentially become a starter in the NFL.  In Harrington you know what you have.

2. Change of Pace QB - Ryan, Redman, and Harrington are basically the same type of QB. Teams can prepare for one and be prepared for the others. Shockley is an entirely different threat.

3. Hometown bonus - UGA QB, and a local kid. He's also African American in city where 50%+ of the fans are African American. Let's face it, this is also a business and Shockley has more market value than Harrington.

4. Draft Position - Brady was a 7th round draft pick and Romo was undrafted. Where he was drafted doesn't matter. In fact, Shockley is relatively cheap as a back up because of his draft positon, which helps the cap.

5. 2nd Option - We know what we have in Redman and Harrington. Ryan still hasn't played a down so he's largely unproven. It's also doubtful that he will make a big impact this year even if he starts. Three years from now he could be another Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, or somwhere inbetween the two. You just don't know so it's best to have a 2nd developmental option in Shockley who has more to work with.

6. Shockley looked awfully good in preseason games before he got hurt. He was on the field making play after plays. He was moving the ball quite well and making good throws in tight window. Knowing his situation he may have put in more work than the other 2 veterans and may come back vastly improved. He deserves a 2nd look.

cyofish (7/20/2008)
1. Upside - Shockley still has upside potential over Harrington. Shcokley better intangibles mobility, quickness, strong arm, and intelligence.  His raw talent can be developed. He has room for improvement and can potentially become a starter in the NFL.  In Harrington you know what you have.

2. Change of Pace QB - Ryan, Redman, and Harrington are basically the same type of QB. Teams can prepare for one and be prepared for the others. Shockley is an entirely different threat.

3. Hometown bonus - UGA QB, and a local kid. He's also African American in city where 50%+ of the fans are African American. Let's face it, this is also a business and Shockley has more market value than Harrington.

4. Draft Position - Brady was a 7th round draft pick and Romo was undrafted. Where he was drafted doesn't matter. In fact, Shockley is relatively cheap as a back up because of his draft positon, which helps the cap.

5. 2nd Option - We know what we have in Redman and Harrington. Ryan still hasn't played a down so he's largely unproven. It's also doubtful that he will make a big impact this year even if he starts. Three years from now he could be another Tim Couch, Peyton Manning, or somwhere inbetween the two. You just don't know so it's best to have a 2nd developmental option in Shockley who has more to work with.

6. Shockley looked awfully good in preseason games before he got hurt. He was on the field making play after plays. He was moving the ball quite well and making good throws in tight window. Knowing his situation he may have put in more work than the other 2 veterans and may come back vastly improved. He deserves a 2nd look.

EXACTLY..i say keep him over harrington, if someone has to go!

cyofish (7/20/2008)

truth.

buckeyes (7/20/2008)
Rodney (7/20/2008)
buckeyes (7/19/2008)

Actually you have me 100% wrong....I supported Harrington when he was the starting QB...I think Harrington is not given a fair shake by many, mostly by the DJ, Vick, or Leftwich supporters....Before Harrington I supported Mike Vick, although I wished he would have had better protection and put the ball more consistantly in the air.....When Leftwich became starter, I was excited hoping that he turns out great....Currently I am all for Redman, if Redman can stay healthy...he is a darn good QB....Having gone to UofL for a year, I follow the Cardinals somewhat.....Redman was a better college QB than Brohm......As for Ryan, I am hoping we did not make a mistake...I have my concerns, but I hope he turns out being great....Now as for DJ, I have continiously said....DJ brings Mobility, character, some leadership, and a good arm.....He had a good year at Georgia, but he was not the main reason that Georgia was good that year.  To say he is better than Harrington, based on one year...I am sorry, I don't buy that.  If you had to bet your house on who is ready to get behind center and start a game, Harrington or DJ....I would bet on Harrington.  DJ has not proven anything in his 2 training camps.....Will he this year, maybe....If he does not play well, then look for Atlanta to part ways with him.  If he has a decent training camp, preseason, and in the classroom....then look for Atlanta to part ways with Joey.  I am not pro or con for either or.....But I will tell you the way it is and not fluff things up because he was a bull dog.

And I respond so much to the DJ threads simply because you guys never quit with the DJ should be starter, DJ is not given a chance, DJ this DJ that.....Come on!!!  You make it sound like DJ is the greatest QB ever....and your talking about someone fighting to remain on the team.  I just get tired of listening to the BS so I speak out.

I wouldn't bet anything on Joey, for 6 years he proved he is not ready, DJ has'nt had a chance yet.  Know one supports Leftwich they just didnt want to keep watching the same train wreck over and over with Joey.

In reference to Shockley s receiving the FCA Bobby Bowden Award, Georgia coach Mark Richt said, I can t think of anybody more deserving of this award. D.J. is not only a great student, but also a great human being. He is a guy who understands that he is not the center of the universe and is a team man all the way.

Joey Harrington rated the worst QB in NFL history

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES " June 24, 2008

Chase Stuart of Pro-football-reference.com recently updated his list of the worst NFL quarterbacks of all time. He originally created the list in 2006, but updated it to reflect recent stats. The list is made entirely off statistical evaluation. Here are the 10 QB's who topped the list:

1. Joey Harrington
2. Rick Mirer
3. David Carr
4. Ryan Leaf
5. Frank Tripucka

OMG!!!!  Do you even know who Chase Stuart is? Ha Ha Ha...Here is his link....And his Pro football reference.com site is a smalltime bs site that looks to be his own creation!!!  Give me a break....You have to come up with something better than this clown!!!

http://www.footballguys.com/bio_StuartChase.php

Secondly....I guess you feel more comfortable on betting the house on DJ vs Harrington in a regular season NFL game? If that is so....Please stay away from Vegas!!!!  For your own sake!!!

cyofish (7/20/2008)

I agree with all but number 6.....Shockley had one decent drive in which he was injured on.  But, I think you at least gave reasoning with backbone to it.

cyofish (7/20/2008)
1.Upside - Shockley still has upside potential over Harrington. Shcokley better intangibles mobility, quickness, strong arm, andintelligence. His raw talent can be developed. He has room for improvementand can potentially become a starter in the NFL. In Harrington you know what you have.

6. Shockley looked awfully good in preseason games before he got hurt. He wason the fieldmaking play after plays. He wasmoving the ball quite well and making good throws in tight window. Knowing his situation he may have put in more work than the other 2 veterans and may come back vastly improved. He deserves a 2nd look.

He had ONE Good drive in ONE game against third string defenses and it gets conflated to looking "Awfully good in the preseason"?

jgentry162 (7/18/2008)

Why would anyone be worried about Shockley? He was a low draft pick that has not shown a thing in the NFL. We have our starting QB for the future in Ryan, we have a decent back up in Redman and we have a 3rd stringer that has NFL experience in Harrington. If I was going to try to develop a QB to become a more solid #2, I think Harrington is much smarter than Shockley. Then have another Rookie on the practice squad. Plus having Shockley on the roster just brings out the racist people. You don't think the team officials don't look at this board? We have people who want Shockley to have a shot at the starting QB position and Ryan hasn't even played a down. Almost every Rookie QB Struggles at first.

Do you think the Falcons want certain fans booing Ryan with the hope that it might cause the team to try Shockley when Ryan struggles at first? Heck no. They had issues last year with some players wanting Leftwich to return as the starter after he looked worse than Harrington. We don't need any distractions and Shockley could very well turn into one.

Then the most important reason Shockley will not be in Atlanta is when Vick was the QB the offense was set up for a mobile QB and Shockley cold allow them to keep the same play book if he ever developed. With the other QB's on the team now being more pocket passers the play book would have to change for him to be the QB. The team is learning a new playbook for Redman and Ryan. Do you think they need to make the young team learn an even bigger play book to keep a player who has never played a down in the NFL. It would be stupid. Shockley will be a camp arm and the team might give him a little playing time in preseason to give him a chance to get picked up by another team. With all the QB's learning a new offense I doubt he will even get the Preseason playing time because the QB's that are going to be on the team will need it. Because Harrington will look better in camp than Shockley, because he will not be pressured, Harrington is a good QB until he gets pressured. He looked great in training camp last year. Plus in a power running game play action is important, Shockley has to roll out a lot and that does not fair well for play action.

Shockley was an above average College QB and nothing more, Tom Brady's come around here and there, but I didn't see any flashes of greatness when Shockley was going against 3rd stringers in Pre Season. Shaub looked great remember he led all QB's in preseason his first year and he is even struggling as he learns to be the starter. Keeping Shockley would be about as smart as sifting for gold in bath water.

:D

As far as I'm concerned you revealed your true agenda when you mention racist people of which you seam to be one. Harrington is smart the Shockley , why because when in trouble he takes a sack rather then roll out and try and create something. You again show your true agenda when you even bring Leftwich into your post , and to say that he looked worse then Joey proves it. When you are a really bab QB you re a really bad QB I didn t know there were degrees of really bad which they both were.

DUDE did you read this part before you posted it. Because Harrington will look better in camp than Shockley, because he will not be pressured, Harrington is a good QB until he gets pressured. He looked great in training camp last year Please name me one QB even the worst one to ever play that didn t look good until he was pressured.

I really don t know how you can say Shockley has to roll since he has play very little even preseason before getting hurt. So you comment is more speculation then FACT

The whole sifting for gold in bath water PLEASE you need to check where you work or what ever if you getting GOLD in you bath water. Because other then that it was just a stupid comment.

And just so you know I m a Georgia Fan and White so there is no hope of you saying I want Shockley to get a fair chance for and racist reasons. He has a better arm the Joey is younger then Joey so all in all there are more up side to him then the failure know as Joey Harrington

So bottom line is show me a REAL reason why we should not keep him

DJ doesnt look good at practice.Hes not accurate,the throws are high or low.He looks better playing.Where he can move and throw on the run.You can throw rocks at joey but he has done much more than redman or shockley.Theres not  lot of qb talent in the league right now.

bigduke633 (7/20/2008)
DJ doesnt look good at practice.Hes not accurate,the throws are high or low.He looks better playing.Where he can move and throw on the run.You can throw rocks at joey but he has done much more than redman or shockley.Theres not lot of qb talent in the league right now.

Joey gets a lot of rocks thrown at him. I thought Leftwich was a

pretty good qb until he stepped behind our line. Petrino should never

have put him on the field. Joey was moving us pretty good. We were

loosing for other reasons than his play. DJ may get a good look by this

coaching staff but it will be because they think he can help on gadget

plays or something other than being our starting qb.

LADBABY (7/20/2008)
bigduke633 (7/20/2008)
DJ doesnt look good at practice.Hes not accurate,the throws are high or low.He looks better playing.Where he can move and throw on the run.You can throw rocks at joey but he has done much more than redman or shockley.Theres not lot of qb talent in the league right now.

Joey gets a lot of rocks thrown at him. I thought Leftwich was a

pretty good qb until he stepped behind our line. Petrino should never

have put him on the field. Joey was moving us pretty good. We were

loosing for other reasons than his play. DJ may get a good look by this

coaching staff but it will be because they think he can help on gadget

plays or something other than being our starting qb.

With a fieldgoal kicker and dhall keeping his cool joey could have won 4 or 5 games.Joey is in the bottom 3rd of the league as far as qbs go but hes atleast hes been there.

2007 QB Starters

Harrington 3-8 (0.375)

Redman 1-3 (0.250)

Leftwich 0-1 (0.000)

Shockley's 0-0 record in 2007 states that he should at least be evaluated on a level playing field with last year's losers, that also happen to have a career losing record (if are sights are truly set that low where we're only evaluating career losers-Leftwich excluded of course since he's not on the roster anymore and a career winner).

gobige (7/20/2008)
2007 QB Starters

Harrington 3-8 (0.375)

Redman 1-3 (0.250)

Leftwich 0-1 (0.000)

Shockley's 0-0 record in 2007 states that he should at least be evaluated on a level playing field with last year's losers, that also happen to have a career losing record (if are sights are truly set that low where we're only evaluating career losers-Leftwich excluded of course since he's not on the roster anymore and a career winner).

Its really too bad that wins and losses aren't a quarterback stat or you might have a point. YOu know what? I have a record of zero and zero in the NFL, shoudl I be viewed on an equal plane with Redman and Shockley if I try out?

chifalc (7/20/2008)
gobige (7/20/2008)
2007 QB Starters

Harrington 3-8 (0.375)

Redman 1-3 (0.250)

Leftwich 0-1 (0.000)

Its really too bad that wins and losses aren't a quarterback stat or you might have a point. YOu know what? I have a record of zero and zero in the NFL, shoudl I be viewed on an equal plane with Redman and Shockley if I try out?

Wins are a qb stat.

chifalc (7/20/2008)

I think anyone should be evaluated on a level playing field at Flowery Branch if they can get the job done.  I'd be fine w/ seeing none of the QBs from on the roster if we can find more qualified candidates.

Speaking of stats-I still find myself getting all worked up over Redman beating the 3rd stringers for the Seahawks and posting a 132.9 passer rating in that game last year.  That solid performance easily trumps the illegitimate 0.0 passer rating he posted against the Bucs starting D.:hehe:

why would we keep shockley?

i have said it before but i am of the opinion that neither shockley nor harrington is good enough to retain as even our 3rd QB. furthermore i think we would be better served to pick up a developmental guy after final cuts to upgrade the position on our team. i hope the shockley and harrington discussions are put to  rest with the termination of both players tenure in atlanta for the 08 season and the addition of someone with actual promise whether now or in a couple years. there are a couple 2nd and 3rd year players in addition to rookie alex brink whom i have before expressed interest in as our 08 3rd QB. two candidates with NFL experience are quinn gray and shane boyd, all 3 are in the texans camp vieing for their 3rd QB spot so 2 should become available and any would be better than our current shockley or harrington.

gobige (7/20/2008)
chifalc (7/20/2008)

I think anyone should be evaluated on a level playing field at Flowery Branch if they can get the job done. I'd befine w/seeing none of the QBs from on the roster if we can find more qualified candidates.

Speaking of stats-I still find myself getting all worked up over Redman beating the 3rd stringers for the Seahawks and posting a 132.9 passer rating in that game last year. That solid performance easily trumps the illegitimate 0.0 passer rating he posted against the Bucs starting D.:hehe:

At least Redman has had passes against starting D's> Including hundreds of passes at at the minimum a passable NFL quality level> How many NFL quality passes in a starting role does SHockley have? Zero? Oh, thats right. I forgot. he had a nice drive against buffalo's third string in a preseason game. So why is Shockley's work against buffalo's third string valid but Redman's against what you claim as seattle's third string is not?

chifalc (7/20/2008)
gobige (7/20/2008)
2007 QB Starters

Harrington 3-8 (0.375)

Redman 1-3 (0.250)

Leftwich 0-1 (0.000)

YOU'RE NOT IN THE NFL LIKE REDMAN AND SHOCKLEY ........ ARE YOU?

to ALL, primarily to the one who started the thread

and then to those who replied to the poppycock:

The only hints about the QB position are

monies invested in Ryan and Redman's performance

at the end of last season. That's it, that all.

Nobody knows if the team will carry

2, 3 OR 4 QBs. Of course, 4 would be very

UNlikely, and 2 seems risky, so we all

think three. 3rd spot = open

competition. Why would

anyone have a problem with that?

:smooooth:

REV.2000 (7/21/2008)
chifalc (7/20/2008)
gobige (7/20/2008)
2007 QB Starters

Harrington 3-8 (0.375)

Redman 1-3 (0.250)

Leftwich 0-1 (0.000)

YOU'RE NOT IN THE NFL LIKE REDMAN AND SHOCKLEY ........ ARE YOU?

So? I have about as mucyh experience in real games as they do, and my zero and zero record holds about as much significance, especially since wins and loses aren't a quarterback stat anyway. And typing in bolded all caps only subtracts from your arguments.

Also, if you are going to assign wins and losses to the QB rather than the team. . Redman would actually be 4 - 6, because he would get credit for 'his' three and three in 2003.