Why would we keep Shockley?

jgentry162

Why would anyone be worried about Shockley? He was a low draft pick that has not shown a thing in the NFL. We have our starting QB for the future in Ryan, we have a decent back up in Redman and we have a 3rd stringer that has NFL experience in Harrington. If I was going to try to develop a QB to become a more solid #2, I think Harrington is much smarter than Shockley. Then have another Rookie on the practice squad. Plus having Shockley on the roster just brings out the racist people. You don't think the team officials don't look at this board? We have people who want Shockley to have a shot at the starting QB position and Ryan hasn't even played a down. Almost every Rookie QB Struggles at first.

Do you think the Falcons want certain fans booing Ryan with the hope that it might cause the team to try Shockley when Ryan struggles at first? Heck no. They had issues last year with some players wanting Leftwich to return as the starter after he looked worse than Harrington. We don't need any distractions and Shockley could very well turn into one.

Then the most important reason Shockley will not be in Atlanta is when Vick was the QB the offense was set up for a mobile QB and Shockley cold allow them to keep the same play book if he ever developed. With the other QB's on the team now being more pocket passers the play book would have to change for him to be the QB. The team is learning a new playbook for Redman and Ryan. Do you think they need to make the young team learn an even bigger play book to keep a player who has never played a down in the NFL. It would be stupid. Shockley will be a camp arm and the team might give him a little playing time in preseason to give him a chance to get picked up by another team. With all the QB's learning a new offense I doubt he will even get the Preseason playing time because the QB's that are going to be on the team will need it. Because Harrington will look better in camp than Shockley, because he will not be pressured, Harrington is a good QB until he gets pressured. He looked great in training camp last year. Plus in a power running game play action is important, Shockley has to roll out a lot and that does not fair well for play action.

Shockley was an above average College QB and nothing more, Tom Brady's come around here and there, but I didn't see any flashes of greatness when Shockley was going against 3rd stringers in Pre Season. Shaub looked great remember he led all QB's in preseason his first year and he is even struggling as he learns to be the starter. Keeping Shockley would be about as smart as sifting for gold in bath water.

:D

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jgentry162 (7/18/2008)

Why would anyone be worried about Shockley? He was a low draft pick that has not shown a thing in the NFL. We have our starting QB for the future in Ryan, we have a decent back up in Redman and we have a 3rd stringer that has NFL experience in Harrington. If I was going to try to develop a QB to become a more solid #2, I think Harrington is much smarter than Shockley. Then have another Rookie on the practice squad. Plus having Shockley on the roster just brings out the racist people. You don't think the team officials don't look at this board? We have people who want Shockley to have a shot at the starting QB position and Ryan hasn't even played a down. Almost every Rookie QB Struggles at first.

Do you think the Falcons want certain fans booing Ryan with the hope that it might cause the team to try Shockley when Ryan struggles at first? Heck no. They had issues last year with some players wanting Leftwich to return as the starter after he looked worse than Harrington. We don't need any distractions and Shockley could very well turn into one.

Then the most important reason Shockley will not be in Atlanta is when Vick was the QB the offense was set up for a mobile QB and Shockley cold allow them to keep the same play book if he ever developed. With the other QB's on the team now being more pocket passers the play book would have to change for him to be the QB. The team is learning a new playbook for Redman and Ryan. Do you think they need to make the young team learn an even bigger play book to keep a player who has never played a down in the NFL. It would be stupid. Shockley will be a camp arm and the team might give him a little playing time in preseason to give him a chance to get picked up by another team. With all the QB's learning a new offense I doubt he will even get the Preseason playing time because the QB's that are going to be on the team will need it. Because Harrington will look better in camp than Shockley, because he will not be pressured, Harrington is a good QB until he gets pressured. He looked great in training camp last year. Plus in a power running game play action is important, Shockley has to roll out a lot and that does not fair well for play action.

Shockley was an above average College QB and nothing more, Tom Brady's come around here and there, but I didn't see any flashes of greatness when Shockley was going against 3rd stringers in Pre Season. Shaub looked great remember he led all QB's in preseason his first year and he is even struggling as he learns to be the starter. Keeping Shockley would be about as smart as sifting for gold in bath water.

Ok...since no one else will, I'll bite...

Because he's a black QB that played local ball at UGA...

Was that the answer you were looking for... 

Great way to spend your 500th post! :P

Because we've seen Harrington's potential and we are not satisfied with it.  So we'd rather a 3rd string QB that could potentially develop into something mediocre than a 3rd QB that is already developed into something less than mediocre.  Shockley is a mobile QB with a strong arm that's not afraid to throw the ball downfield.  His question marks revolve around his ability to read NFL defenses.  I'd rather have that on the bench than an immobile weak arm QB that is afraid to throw downfield so he continually dumps the ball off. 

If not Shockley, I'd still rather have a 3rd QB that has potential to develop.  I don't think your 3rd QB should be a failed veteran.  I like Harrington, great character guy, sux Detroit destroyed him.  But the fact is that he will never progress into anything for us.  DJ might not either, but there's at least somewhat of a possibility.

pzummo (7/18/2008)
Because we've seen Harrington's potential and we are not satisfied with it. So we'd rather a 3rd string QB that could potentially develop into something mediocre than a 3rd QB that is already developed into something less than mediocre. Shockley is a mobile QB with a strong arm that's not afraid to throw the ball downfield. His question marks revolve around his ability to read NFL defenses. I'd rather have that on the bench than an immobile weak arm QB that is afraid to throw downfield so he continuallydumps the ball off.

If not Shockley, I'd still rather have a 3rd QB that has potential to develop. I don't think your 3rd QB should be a failed veteran. I like Harrington, great character guy, sux Detroit destroyed him. But the fact is that he will never progress into anything for us. DJ might not either, but there's at least somewhat of a possibility.

Shockley hasn't shown any particular potential, is the problem> Aside from one drive with five passes in a preseason game against buffalo's third string which some are fixated on.

Because we've seen Harrington's potential and we are not satisfied with it. So we'd rather a 3rd string QB that could potentially develop into something mediocre than a 3rd QB that is already developed into something less than mediocre. Shockley is a mobile QB with a strong arm that's not afraid to throw the ball downfield. His question marks revolve around his ability to read NFL defenses. I'd rather have that on the bench than an immobile weak arm QB that is afraid to throw downfield so he continually dumps the ball off.

If not Shockley, I'd still rather have a 3rd QB that has potential to develop. I don't think your 3rd QB should be a failed veteran. I like Harrington, great character guy, sux Detroit destroyed him. But the fact is that he will never progress into anything for us. DJ might not either, but there's at least somewhat of a possibility.

I feel the same way Harrington arm is weak

chifalc (7/18/2008)
pzummo (7/18/2008)
Because we've seen Harrington's potential and we are not satisfied with it. So we'd rather a 3rd string QB that could potentially develop into something mediocre than a 3rd QB that is already developed into something less than mediocre. Shockley is a mobile QB with a strong arm that's not afraid to throw the ball downfield. His question marks revolve around his ability to read NFL defenses. I'd rather have that on the bench than an immobile weak arm QB that is afraid to throw downfield so he continuallydumps the ball off.

Shockley hasn't shown any particular potential, is the problem> Aside from one drive with five passes in a preseason game against buffalo's third string which some are fixated on.

I am not fixated on any drive, honestly I don't even remember that one.  I don't watch preseason that closely, and after the 1st stringers come out, I'm barely watching at all.

That's still more potential than we have with Harrington.  Would you give it a 1% shot of Shockley developing into a decent backup?  Harrington is done developing and I do not consider him a decent backup, definitely a great person, but not a good NFL player.  I would say any young QB with a strong arm has more NFL potential than Harrington.  I am not delusional about it, I do not expect Shockley to compete for starting. 

We are talking about 3rd string QB here, and I would prefer a younger QB with some potential than an older QB with no potential.  In a worst case scenario, Shockley can simulate mobile QB's in practice to help prep our defense when we face them during the regular season.  That's all I'm saying.  I don't see the added benefit of having Harrington on our roster.

pzummo (7/18/2008)
chifalc (7/18/2008)
pzummo (7/18/2008)

I am not fixated on any drive, honestly I don't even remember that one. I don't watch preseason that closely, and after the 1st stringers come out, I'm barely watching at all.

That's still more potential than we have with Harrington. Would you give it a 1% shot of Shockley developing into a decent backup? Harrington is done developing and I do not consider him a decent backup, definitely a great person, but not a good NFL player. I would say any young QB with a strong arm has more NFL potential than Harrington. I am not delusional about it, I do not expect Shockley to compete for starting.

We are talking about 3rd string QB here, and I would prefer a younger QB with some potential than an older QB with no potential. In a worst case scenario, Shockley can simulate mobile QB's in practice to help prep our defense when we face them during the regular season. That's all I'm saying. I don't see the added benefit of having Harrington on our roster.

Actually, while not a good starter, I DO think Harrington is a GOOD backup. And I want at least one Quarterback with even one full season of playing experience on the roster.

chifalc (7/18/2008)
Statick (7/18/2008)
Two words: Joey Harrington

He's (Shockley) got a better arm, he's more mobile and he can't possibly be worse.

Easily can be. Even in preseason and his college career, he's never crested over 55% accuracy.

Harrington has been criticized for last year where he completed

61.8% of his passes and had a large number dropped and as we know

even had a couple tipped for pick 6's. He was not given any help with

our running game except on the rare occasion that Norwood was in the

game. Another note: Zero fumbles. It is pretty clean work from him really.

He had a 69 yard td completion to White. So, to answer why Shockley

should be kept is that imo Harrington is tradeable for some value to some

of the teams that suddenly find themselves weak at qb. Shockley is one

of the best athletes to ever play the quarterback position and once he is

healthy he could be a very effective backup. He could also bring an extra

dimension in a rotation if Mularkey saw fit.

chifalc (7/18/2008)

Actually, while not a good starter, I DO think Harrington is a GOOD backup. And I want at least one Quarterback with even one full season of playing experience on the roster.

That explains why you don't want to keep Shockley.  We just have two different outlooks on the situation.  My outlook is that 3rd string QB should be a raw player that can be given some time to polish their skills and run an offense in practice for the defense to tea off on.  Redman is our starter, Ryan is our backup.  Neither is a running QB with a higher risk of injury, so use that 3rd spot on a young guy.  You would rather use that 3rd spot for a guy that could possibly step in should disaster strike and we lose both our starter and backup. 

I do think if either was forced into a position where they had to play right now, Harrington would probably give us a better chance to compete than Shockley.  That being said, Harrington hasn't had a positive td/int ratio in 4 years. We have Redman for 2 seasons and Ryan for 6.  We will know if Shockley will be a decent backup by the end of the season, if not, we cut him, draft a QB to replace him at 3rd string, and develop him for a season while Redman and Ryan take starter/backup roles.  This way we keep a young QB on the roster and develop them so we don't have to sign FA's to multi-million dollar contracts to backup our starter (Harrington, Leftwich, and now Redman).

LADBABY (7/18/2008)
chifalc (7/18/2008)
Statick (7/18/2008)

He's (Shockley) got a better arm, he's more mobile and he can't possibly be worse.

Easily can be. Even in preseason and his college career, he's never crested over 55% accuracy.

Harrington has been criticized for last year where he completed

61.8% of his passes and had a large number dropped and as we know

even had a couple tipped for pick 6's. He was not given any help with

our running game except on the rare occasion that Norwood was in the

game. Another note: Zero fumbles. It is pretty clean work from him really.

He had a 69 yard td completion to White. So, to answer why Shockley

should be kept is that imo Harrington is tradeable for some value to some

of the teams that suddenly find themselves weak at qb. Shockley is one

of the best athletes to ever play the quarterback position and once he is

healthy he could be a very effective backup. He could also bring an extra

dimension in a rotation if Mularkey saw fit.

61.8% is good, but lofty due to most of his passes being checkdowns. There's a reason we call him Capt. Checkdown. He won't take a chance on anything downfield. His arm won't let him.

Harrington's arm checked out good enough for him to be

drafted 3rd over all when he came out. The short

pass syndrome he is in now is dictated to a great

extent by his pass protection and his receivers

ability to get down field quickly. He is has been overly

criticized by people with and agenda. He is not that bad.

Statick (7/18/2008)

Pretty much sums it up. I was very surprised and disappointed to see him come back as anything more than a floor sweeper for the training facility.

He's got a great attitude, but he is a bust in pro football, and everyone in the world knows it.

LADBABY (7/18/2008)

I don't have an agenda against Harrington. I was all for giving him another chance when he got here, but its painfully apparent that he's mentally damaged goods. Him getting drafted 3rd was a long time ago.

The only reason he's not considered a major QB bust is that people keep giving him chances to finally "break out", most likely due to his lofty old draft status.

Statick (7/18/2008)
LADBABY (7/18/2008)

I don't have an agenda against Harrington. I was all for giving him another chance when he got here, but its painfully apparent that he's mentally damaged goods. Him getting drafted 3rd was a long time ago.

The only reason he's not considered a major QB bust is that people keep giving him chances to finally "break out", most likely due to his lofty old draft status.

32 sacks is not mental that is physical and he held together pretty

good. The Colts with Manning and his ailing bursa sack would be better

off with Harrington under center than Jim Sorgi. Chicago could contend

with Harrington. Buffalo, Jets and San Fran all would be better with him

than they are now. He has value as trade bait if some of these teams

would forget what they have heard and just look at what he can do.

Shockley has no trade value whatsoever but he does have potential.

LADBABY (7/18/2008)
Statick (7/18/2008)
LADBABY (7/18/2008)

32 sacks is not mental that is physical and he held together pretty

good. The Colts with Manning and his ailing bursa sack would be better

off with Harrington under center than Jim Sorgi. Chicago could contend

with Harrington. Buffalo, Jets and San Fran all would be better with him

than they are now. He has value as trade bait if some of these teams

would forget what they have heard and just look at what he can do.

Shockley has no trade value whatsoever but he does have potential.

It's funny that none of those teams that you mentioned were breaking down his door to sign him.

jgentry162 (7/18/2008)

He is cheap,he is local,he is from UGA

chifalc (7/18/2008)
Statick (7/18/2008)

Nope DJ cant be. i mean 1st he had 55.6, so thats a 56 passer rating, not 55. 2nd DJ is like a Game manager/ 4th qtr star, which is what we need in this offense.  Chris Chandler wasnt an amazing QB leading us all the time, but when we needed it, then he would be there to lead us down the field.

jgentry162 (7/18/2008)

Your post is very accurate.  Good write up.

But the only reason I see for keeping DJ is....he is a QB that must be developed.  He is mobile and has good arm strength.  He is of good character.  He is also a decent leader.  Now...with all that said...if he can be developed into being a good NFL QB, then we have a future back up......If he has bad luck, another injury, or if he shows difficulty in picking up the new offense then he will be gone. 

Statick (7/18/2008)

Means absolutely nothing if he shows development issues....DJ must perform or he is gone...He must show that he can pick up the new offense, Read a defense at game speed thus being able to call audibles, and then he must be able to make all of the required throws........who cares about his better arm and mobility if he can't do the other things? Good Luck to DJ in camp...hopefully he shows improvement.