NFC South position battle

The third of our NFC division-by-division looks at training camp battles:

Atlanta

Sam Baker vs. Renardo Foster, left tackle

Baker was a first-round surprise, with Atlanta trading up to acquire him, but he was the only offensive lineman the Falcons chose in the draft. That was another surprise. A year ago, the Falcons were as bad protecting their quarterbacks (they ranked 26th in sacks allowed) as they were opening holes for their running backs (also ranking 26th, with 95 yards a game). But the Falcons must feel that injured linemen Todd Weiner and Foster will be OK and that the line's poor play a year ago had more to do with a raft of injuries and the blocking schemes than it did the talent. We'll see. The Falcons have a new coaching staff, and that staff has a new approach. Baker is massive, technically sound and a natural left tackle, and he'll wind up the starter sooner or later. But it usually takes offensive linemen a season before feeling comfortable, so he might have to sit and wait his turn.

Edge: Foster, but only if he's recovered from a knee injury that cut short his 2007 season.

Opening day starter: Baker, because I think he passes the competition in training camp.

I hope Foster is healthy enough to compete

muskokas finest (7/17/2008)
The third of our NFC division-by-division looks at training camp battles:

Atlanta

Sam Baker vs. Renardo Foster, left tackle

Baker was a first-round surprise, with Atlanta trading up to acquire him, but he was the only offensive lineman the Falcons chose in the draft. That was another surprise. A year ago, the Falcons were as bad protecting their quarterbacks (they ranked 26th in sacks allowed) as they were opening holes for their running backs (also ranking 26th, with 95 yards a game). But the Falcons must feel that injured linemen Todd Weiner and Foster will be OK and that the line's poor play a year ago had more to do with a raft of injuries and the blocking schemes than it did the talent. We'll see. The Falcons have a new coaching staff, and that staff has a new approach. Baker is massive, technically sound and a natural left tackle, and he'll wind up the starter sooner or later. But it usually takes offensive linemen a season before feeling comfortable, so he might have to sit and wait his turn.

Edge: Foster, but only if he's recovered from a knee injury that cut short his 2007 season.

Opening day starter: Baker, because I think he passes the competition in training camp.

I hope Foster is healthy enough to compete

first time ive heard baker described as massive lol

the thing that bothers me is media types and alot of "fans" here don't acknowledge the improvement our line made when Harrington was finally benched or that norrwood had almost as many yards as Dunn but with fewer then half the carries........................... I know its super popular to just say its the line but its not.

im tired of hearing that rookies have to sit out at least a year before they grasp the game and have a impact. that to me is stupid. there are alot of what ifs that could happen. like what if foster makes probowl at that position this up coming season..then what was the point of drafting baker (reaching for baker at that). baker is a first round pick vs a undrafted free agent. if foster has the edge, what does that say about baker? this article is crap. it shouldnt even be a competition. thats like saying shockley has the edge over ryan.

crankthatbatman (7/18/2008)
im tired of hearing that rookies have to sit out at least a year before they grasp the game and have a impact. that to me is stupid. there are alot of what ifs that could happen. like what if foster makes probowl at that position this up coming season..then what was the point of drafting baker (reaching for baker at that). baker is a first round pick vs a undrafted free agent. if foster has the edge, what does that say about baker? this article is crap. it shouldnt even be a competition. thats like saying shockley has the edge over ryan.

What if Foster plays well for the first 4 games, and Baker finishes off the last 12 playing at an All Pro level?  Would Baker still be a reach?  It doesn't say anything about Baker if Foster has the edge right now.  There have been UFA that go to the Pro Bowl.  There have been first round picks that never make it.  The fact that Foster is being considered for starting LT means that he's playing far beyond what scouts expected him to do.  But the reality is, after you are drafted, where you were drafted means very little (the only thing it means is that you will get more opportunity if you are not doing well).  I think Baker will be a good LT.  If Foster is beating him out right now, than that's fine, I don't want Baker in there because he's a first round pick.  If Weiner has trouble with his knee, maybe we could see Baker at LT and Foster at RT. 

pzummo (7/18/2008)

What if Foster plays well for the first 4 games, and Baker finishes off the last 12 playing at an All Pro level?  Would Baker still be a reach?  It doesn't say anything about Baker if Foster has the edge right now.  There have been UFA that go to the Pro Bowl.  There have been first round picks that never make it.  The fact that Foster is being considered for starting LT means that he's playing far beyond what scouts expected him to do.  But the reality is, after you are drafted, where you were drafted means very little (the only thing it means is that you will get more opportunity if you are not doing well).  I think Baker will be a good LT.  If Foster is beating him out right now, than that's fine, I don't want Baker in there because he's a first round pick.  If Weiner has trouble with his knee, maybe we could see Baker at LT and Foster at RT. 

if foster plays well the first 4 games, why would he be taken out in the first place? if a team has no expectations of making it to the playoffs this year, then why sit talented first round players? that means if he doesnt play this season, and plays next season, then he will still be considered a rookie and he will get treated like a rookie on the field. you cant learn from watching and listening on the sidelines, its better to get into the action so you can learn from your mistakes.

You amaze me with your complete lack of football knowledge. 

Magic Man (7/18/2008)

You amaze me with your complete lack of football knowledge. 

shut up.

I agree. When your QB holds onto the ball too long protection breaks down no matter how good your line is. There were times last season that my girlfriend, who casually watches football, was screaming at the TV for Harrington to get the **** ball out of his hands!

Our o-line gave up 7 sacks in 4 games with Redman in (that is 1.7 a game) where as we gave up 40 in the other 12 games (over 3.3 sack a game) with Harrington/Leftwich in.

I don't think our line is going to be as bad as some think.